A breakdown of UK Athletics’ approved $104 million budget

BMfeK1SCMAESLRI BMffzFpCIAAg24B

As I mentioned earlier, today the UK Board of Directors approved the athletic department’s $104 million budget for 2013-2014. If you’re curious as to what the breakdown is per sport, check out these graphs above (pictures by @BW_Jones).

The revenue chart really shows you how crucial football and men’s basketball are to the university, and why they get such a big chunk of the expenses.

15 Comments for A breakdown of UK Athletics’ approved $104 million budget

1. Wondering...
    12:44 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

Wandering which slice is revenue we get from SEC? I would love to see UL’s and how much revenue they ‘generate’ from raping its Louisville area taxpayers…. YUM Center is such a hot mess.

2. BlueDeuce
    12:58 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

I’m fairly sure the SEC piece hasn’t been added to this yet as I don’t see that figure as part of the revenues.

Also, once the SEC network is up and running that’ll be even more money coming in. There is really no reason why UK can’t be a national force in all sports with the revenue coming in starting next year.

3. UKSupporter76
    1:08 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

1% back to the general scholarship fund? That’s the best they can do?

4. Joe
    1:18 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

1% back to the general scholarship fund? That’s the best they can do?

Humour, right? I don’t think they are REQUIRED to give any moneys to the General Fund/Scholarship….and the fact that Athletics is funding several buildings IN ADDITION TO CWS renovation, that escaped your notice.

5. UKSupporter76
    1:26 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

No, serious question.

I’m aware they aren’t REQUIRED to give anything back, but that is one of the ways many people justify college athletics in the first place… giving back to the University. So again, I ask… Is that the best they can do?

What other buildings are being funded by the athletic department? Are they athletic buildings? Pointing to the CWS renovation, is like saying you got your wife lingerie for her birthday. Sure, it belongs to her but really you’re the one that’s going to enjoy it.

6. joe
    1:34 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

The money coming into the Athletics Dept. is funding CWS renovations and TWO NEW OR RENOVATED ACADEMIC BUILDINGS…”a renovated and expanded Gatton College of Business and Economics, a new Academic and Science Building,”…

So unlike a MAJORITY of College Athletic Programs UK’s doesn’t lose money (take money from the General Fund) and actually contributes to the General Scholarship Fund and is paying for two non-atheltic infrastructure projects…but you want more?

They do something few programs do, and then go the extra distance, but that’s not enough…Sociology Major were/are you?

7. LARRY M
    1:45 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

Only .04% (371K) for women’s basketball seems a bit of a slight considering the terrific job Matthew Mitchel is doing…I know it is not a revenue producing entity, but why take any chances on having another school (especially another SEC school) try to steal him away???

8. Turtleneck douche heffer
    1:46 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

#5 curious how much your cheap a$$ is contributing. Oh what?! It’s $0. Stop trying to call out the athletics. You want to see a real joke of a budget check out u of smells model. Oh wait?!! They won’t post it. Yea I’m not the least surprised.

9. UKSupporter76
    1:53 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

Take it easy Joe. All you had to say was “yeah, that’s the best they can do.” No need to get your PANTIES IN A WAD.

10. UKSupporter76
    1:55 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

#8 I’m a season ticket holder for football and basketball. And I’m calling out anybody. I was simply surprised the number was so low, considering the huge amount of revenue that UK Athletics generates.

And if your justification is “we’re not as bad as UofL” then you’re doing it wrong.

11. Sayeth
    2:11 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

LARRY M, you’re reading wrong. The Revenue graph shows money coming in, the Expenses graph shows what the Univ pays. So, women’s b-ball spending is at 3.3%, but it only brings in 0.4% of the budget. That’s a significant show of support for Mitchell & Co.

12. Joe
    2:19 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

“yeah, that’s the best they can do.” No need to get your PANTIES IN A WAD.

Well, all you had to do was do about 30 seconds of research and realize that UK is an outlier, in a positive way and then you wouldn’t have had to have made a passive-aggressive snarky post. You just didn’t like some facts coming back at you.

13. Chill pill joe
    2:32 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

Settle down joe. UKSupporter76 just asked a question and all of your responses have been aggressive and basically rude. Same goes for #8. Alot of people dont know how the athletic money gets used so why jump on somebody who has a legitimate question?

14. Joe
    2:46 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

“That’s the best they can do?” Is a rather passive-aggressive way of approaching it don’t you think?

I’m only a CASUAL sports enthusiast and I could find the answers pretty quickly, just from reading this blog.

So, No, I don’t think I’m rude, again UKSupporter76 made an easily answered snark…s/he freely admits that s/he knew that UK Athlteics doesn’t have to pass back money, and I believe it’s been discussed that UK makes money, unlike many other athletics departments, so again it’s easily determined that MOST departments give nothing back and in fact suck up larger school resources, and finally it was broadly reported that CWS renovations were a package of Academic renovations and building.

As a casual fan, I knew this…so I informed the non-casual fan/troll that their statement had some flaws. Though one might suspect that “…a season ticket holder for football and basketball.” might have been a little more aware of the financials of the programs s/he supports. Though to be fair, it wasn’t until a few years ago I learned just how much Football pays the way for everyone else.

15. Kaiser
    12:11 am June 12, 2013 Permalink

Hahahahaa! This board can’t even talk about uk’s revenues that you bunch of winners don’t start whining about Louisville.
    Obsess much losers?