A 52-inch Rattle Snake’s Saturday News and Views

A pair of Casey County brothers made a big discovery the other day when they found a 52-inch rattle snake while cutting timber near their home. The snake was found near Coffman Branch Road in Casey County. Upon finding the snake, the two brothers killed it and then took it to a taxidermist who estimated the length. If you are wowed by the size of the rattlesnake, nearly 4 feet long, it’s actually not the record for the state of Kentucky. The longest recorded snake found in Kentucky was reportedly a little over 60 inches long.

According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the heaviest known rattlesnake weighed in at 34 lbs., and was 7.8 feet long. According to the record books, the snake was shot in 1946.

And now on to the news and views from the day…

—- You know it’s a Friday in late July when one of the lead stories of the day is that Jalen Whitlow will be switching his jersey to the #2. I wish I could say that the news got a lot more tantalizing as the day went on… but it really didn’t. Let’s see what we can scrounge up for you though…

—- Mark Stoops took the city of Louisville by storm today, first going on Kentucky Sports Radio for an interview in front of fans. Following the appearance, Stoops and some of his coaching staff gave the Louisville Greater Alumni Club Luncheon a treat when they stopped by to speak to them as well. Approximately 800 people packed the hall for an event that typically draws about 400-450 people. Hello, Mark Stoops effect. Hello.

Between the KSR interview and the Luncheon, here are 10 quick hitters from Stoops’ day in Louisville:

1. “Kentucky’s here. We’re not messing around.”

2. The fan support has been overwhelming and has not gone unnoticed by the coaches or the players.

3. When this Kentucky staff arrived, they wanted to make a statement to the top talent in the state that Kentucky was going to come after them hard…And succeed. Ryan Timmons and Jason Hatcher were two key examples of players who were not likely headed to Kentucky until the new staff arrived and went to work immediately. Literally. DJ Eliot said within 2 hours of being hired, he was in the schools of those kids.

4. Worry not… Mark Stoops is not downplaying the importance of the Louisville rivalry. “Absolutely every day, we think about that. Every day.”  I find the comments refreshing. Some new coaches come in and try to downplay the significance of a rivalry initially, especially if they are the underdog in that particular season. Not Mark Stoops, folks.

5. Mark Stoops doesn’t like the color red. And it doesn’t go with his hair.

6. If you hadn’t already gathered this much from the off-season talk, the Kentucky strength and conditioning staff is first class. People can’t say enough good things about the type of work they are doing. The changes have been apparent already in the bodies of the returning players.

7. Even though he walked into a program with a bunch of guys he did not recruit to Kentucky, he considers those players to be “his guys.” This season is not a throw away season for him. He wants the seniors to go out on a good note.

8. This staff expects freshman stud running back JoJo Kemp to make an impact right away. He will be “throw in the fire” as a true freshman, and will get first and second team reps.

9. Don’t get too excited about the new uniform combinations….just yet. Even though the players and recruits tweeted out some exciting new pictures, it seems as if Stoops and his staff might be holding out on actually using the jerseys right away. I can’t imagine though that Kentucky will go very long, if at all, without doing something exciting with the uniforms.

10. If Mark Stoops and his staff don’t get your blood pumping every time they speak about Kentucky football, I don’t know what will…

—- Kyle Tucker of the Courier-Journal was in attendance to listen to Stoops at the Alumni Luncheon. Stoops was asked about the plan for a first-year coach, and spoke openly and honestly about the challenges ahead of him:

“Being a first year head coach, I know I’m going to make mistakes and I know there’s going to be things that will come about that I’m going to have to deal with. But I wanted to head that off as much as possible. I’ve been around a lot of good people and been around a lot of good head coaches… So I put it all together and hit the ground running. I do feel good about what this staff has done so far. We’ve put ourselves in a good position to keep on building this program.”

—- In a bit of exciting news, apparently Marcus McWilson and Javess Blue will be in Lexington and on campus by August 2nd. Both players could be relied upon to make an impact on the field right away. It’s comforting to know they will for sure be in Lexington very soon.

—- Rushel Snell (now that’s a name) was set to choose between Kentucky and West Virginia today. Snell, a former Pitt running back, was looking to transfer after the departure of his former coach. Snell wound up picking West Virginia today, and said it was in large part due to the fact that Kentucky really wasn’t making a push for him. Kentucky has a host of talented running backs between this year and next year’s class, and clearly didn’t make Snell a priority. Since when are we turning away guys like this? That’s gotta be a good sign for the future…

Even though Snell won’t be joining the new Wildcat era, he had some telling words about why Kentucky was an attractive option for him, “It’s a new era there. Things are happening there.” Yes, yes they are.

—- Kentucky wide receiver target Braxton “Honey Nut” Berrios picked up an offer from Ohio State tonight. Stay away, Urban.

—- If you thought the 2010 vs. 2012 Kentucky Alumni game was simply for the players to get a chance to back up the smack talk, or for the fans to get a chance to witness a fantasy-like match-up… don’t forget the fact that Calipari uses such things as major recruiting tools. Calipari will likely try to get a few top Kentucky targets on campus to rub elbows with the NBA stars and see what kind of family atmsophere Kentucky produces. We learned of the first confirmed visitor today in 2015 small forward Derrick Jones. Jones has an offer from the Cats already and plans to visit in September, more than likely for the Alumni Game.

…That’s all for today folks. Last but not least, a quick shout out to two of my co-workers at Tates Creek High School who were not only the first people I know to name their new puppy “Stoops” after he was hired, but who also just got married. Goggles up. Go Cats.

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

78 Comments for A 52-inch Rattle Snake’s Saturday News and Views

1. 44 Stitches
    11:30 pm July 26, 2013 Permalink

They killed the snake?? If they only knew that snake is worth more alive than dead.

2. YSR2KSR
    11:44 pm July 26, 2013 Permalink

hmm…52 inches is nearly four feet? wonder how many inches r in ally’s feet

3. I wonder...
    11:46 pm July 26, 2013 Permalink

I’m 11 inches, I wonder if Kristen Geil could handle my python

4. mark
    11:55 pm July 26, 2013 Permalink

52″ is 4’4″ , what school did Ally Tucker go to?

5. Matt
    12:04 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

It’s Rushel Shell.

6. Mark'sAnswer
    12:04 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

She went to Hogwarts, she was a Hufflepuff. The potions program at Hogwarts is great, but they’re severely lacking in math

7. Catlogic15
    12:06 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

Why so quick to kill the snake? Cruel and stupid. Hello, more rats.

8. Brian
    12:12 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

Worst of all, that’s a timber rattler—the most docile of the rattlesnake sub-species. One that large was probably 15 years or more old and near the end of its lifespan. And a couple of good ol’ boys killed it for nothing more than being what it is.

Mindless barbarism.

9. Makers Man
    12:14 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

Not good move to kill the snake, unless an infant was in the crew cutting the lumber.

10. Todd
    12:16 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

Who cares about the snake. The important pic is the wedding party with the three goggles! Go CATS!

11. While we're
    12:18 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

on the topic of weddings, will you marry me Ally Tucker? I’ve been deeply in love with you for a long time and figured the most romantic way to propose would be anonymously through KSR’s comment section. I got that right, yeah?

12. 44 Stitches
    12:32 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

AMEN to 7, 8, and 9.

#10 REALLY three goggles? That shist has been played out! F’KN lames. Bet they get divorced.

13. Linda Is A Ho
    12:53 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

Linda Taylor, don’t you dare talk about my future wife Ally like that. I will smack you with my bow staff. I call him “the whacker guy” and you will feel his wrath

14. BringBodnerToKSR
    1:20 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

Ya feel me?

15. Mack
    1:37 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

It was nearly 4 ft., cut off 4 inches and your would be there, rounding down.

16. backpack
    2:08 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

No way that snake is 52 inches it is a lot longer than that.. probably closer to 70 inches.. the guy is holding it up on an angle and it is touching the ground. I was told it was 69.5

17. Wildcatsteeler
    3:17 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

What’s worse than an animal? Something that kills purely for pleasure. Even the Turtle Man respects nature and all of Gods creatures. And people think he belittles this state. He’s far more advanced than the majority of the rednecks in this backward state.

18. TrailerTrash
    3:40 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

That is a very dangerous snake, people. You would be smart to kill it if it is near buildings or livestock.

19. IsItFootballSeasonYet
    3:53 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

Gotta go with the majority on this one.. Killing the snake was senseless and barbaric. Wearing a UK hat isn’t even enough to justify doing that.

20. ukcats42301
    4:29 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

We have to give Ally a little bit of a break. She has blunt force trauma from all the soccer ball hits to the head and has even taken a few cleats to the cranium as well. (Insert sarcasm here).

21. idontflinch_
    5:25 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

I am from Casey County and went to school with the brothers who killed that snake. One of them is the Game Warden here and he is as level-headed of a guy as you will ever care to meet. Trust me, he didn’t kill that snake unless he had a good reason. It’s a shame some people are in such a rush to judge others because no where in this story did it say why they killed that snake so why assume they did it for the hell of it?

And 18. Wildcatsteeler, it might do you some good to hang out with a few rednecks every now and then. Perhaps you would learn a little bit of common sense, which you are clearly lacking. You asked, “What’s worse than an animal?” I have to ask what does that even mean? Are you scared of animals? Do cats and dogs make you wet your pants or something? Who asks what’s worse than an animal except sissies and city boys? City boys aren’t bad people except when they try to act holier than thou to country boys, or rednecks, if you will. Especially one who doesn’t even know what they are talking about. Those are the worst (and funniest). What do I mean by that? Kentucky is not a state like you said it was in your comment saying Kentucky was a “backward state.” If you want to know what Kentucky is then look it up. If you don’t want to know, and would rather stay “backward” yourself, I don’t think anyone will be surprised. Yeah, I know, it’s a free country and you can say all the stupid things you want, but use caution. When you attempt to make fun of other people you better make sure you got your sh!t square yourself. Otherwise, rednecks like me will have fun dismantling your asinine comment and embarrassing you for all other KSR readers to see. BTW, if you don’t like Kentucky then leave. It really is as simple as that.

22. Tim
    5:50 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

13. The worst is Bryan the intern. This site is going downhill fast. Someone should start a new one and provide more information about recruits other than tv shows. I hope someone does!!!!!!

23. jerns
    5:52 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

Lay Off the guy with the snake kill. He might have eaten it later, who knows. Always wanted to eat snake… (hate comments welcome.. I wont read them) As far as the rest if this post went, all good news, none bad. We missed a guy but not in a posiotion we hurt for atm, I really really want Elam for the talent and the statement.

24. Tim
    5:57 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

I’m a wildlife major and if he killed it he shouldn’t be a game warden 22. Basically your saying he don’t know what he’s doing. It should pass on it’s genetics idiot. Genetic diversity is scarce these days

25. Tim
    5:59 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

We are in the 6th major extinction dumbass. Know what your talking about before running your mouth

26. Tim
    6:04 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

If he is a game warden he should be fired right now

27. Roofus Howls
    6:11 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

Killing a rattlesnake is bad? Okay. Truth is, if I would have seen it I’d still be running, so I wouldn’t have killed it. But, more importantly, 52″ is more than four feet. It’s actually “almost four and a half feet”. But the picture makes the snake look a lot longer than that.

28. SeaCat
    6:40 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

Kyle Tucker writing for CJ?
    Any connection to the great Ally Tucker?
    Just curious

29. Realest
    6:46 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

Now the snake knows how trayvon martin fells like…just minding your Business and some white person whats to be a hero SMH..

30. shelbyjoe
    6:55 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

I’m sorry, that’s an EXTREMELY venomous snake – a rattler that size can easily kill you with one bite. If I see a rattler on my property, I’m killing it. I also kill black widows (the spider, not the lady who lost her husband), scorpions, and wasps who build nests where I might get stung.

31. Larry linebeard
    6:57 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

30- yeah cause Zimmerman is white…..

32. idontflinch
    7:06 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

25. Tim, so if that huge poisonous snake posed a threat to human life or someone’s livestock it shouldn’t have been killed? Are you are the example of the lack of genetic diversity you speak of? BTW, is it Little Kid Day? Just wondering since you were name calling. And FYI when you said “Bascially your saying…” your should be you’re. I’m guessing YOU’RE not doing very well in that wildlife major are ya?

33. tuxedo park
    7:22 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

33: yeah, all that livestock roaming through the woods!

34. shields eyes
    7:34 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

So why did the taxidermist have to estimate? Couldn’t he just like taken a tape measure and actually measured it?

35. Say What?
    8:01 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

Michael Dyer, the Auburn player who was dismissed from the team for violations. Then while in Arkansas was pulled over for speeding. The officer discovered a gun and a bag of suspected pot. So he was dismissed from Ark. State before ever taking the field. I understand how he fits in with UL, but how does Chawley justify that with those 5 core values?

36. No hon
    8:15 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

Sounds like a bunch of tree huggers on this site…if I see that thing on my property, Im killing it. The liberal pansies that cry foul would sheet their britches and would be screaming for someone with a pair to handle business.

37. cracka
    9:03 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

how did he get the snake to bite the stick so he could hold it up like that? if the snake is 4 ft long, how tall is this mighty midget game warden?

38. Tommy
    9:15 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

BTW rattlesnake is one word. The snake here is a Timber Rattlesnake

39. Seriously?
    9:16 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

38.

Things closer to us in real life or a photo often look bigger than they are in relation to other things due to the angle you’re seeing them from. Derp

40. Seriously?
    9:18 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

WildcatSteeler, you’re such a little bitch. Practically every post I see from you involves disparaging your fellow UK fans and the commonwealth of Kentucky. If you hate BBN and Kentucky so much then just go away and cheer for someone else. You liberals are such miserable, nasty people and then talk about how open minded and progressive you are. Go play in traffic

41. fuzzy
    9:24 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

36–sounds like profiling to me. I think we’re all probably responsible for his behavior. I hope god will forgive us

42. JesusIsGod!
    9:44 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

42. Its “G”od.

43. TheBigToe
    9:56 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

I’m live and let live with snakes, but if I saw that sumbitch all I know is I would have needed to change my shorts at least three times.

44. True Cat
    11:09 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

THIS IS KENTUCKY! You see a Rattle Snake you shoot! No Questions Asked! You Yuppies should join cardinal nation

45. Delk for 3
    11:33 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

I just laugh at some of these goofballs who act like killing an EXTREMELY dangerous animal like a snake is a bad thing. Thanks to those guys, someone else who may have eventually walked in the woods near that road could have been killed. But I guess the fact that we’ll have more rats trumps that fact. Idiots.

46. KyBoy
    11:37 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

You are a complete idiot if you wouldn’t kill a rattler. I am betting you have never seen a poisonous snake in the wild, it will get your attention trust me. Tree hugging liberals just need to move out of Ky. Of course you probably also want to take away my gun so I can’t kill the snake right?

47. mike
    11:59 am July 27, 2013 Permalink

#31 I agree, I’ve killed several in a day and will kill any poison snakes that I find on my property, I don’t wont me or my loved ones bit by one.

48. tastes like chicken
    12:10 pm July 27, 2013 Permalink

It’s been a few years back now, but several of my cousins and I killed a 46″ rattlesnake. We gutted, skinned, cleaned, battered, fried, and then ate it. They’re tasty. We were maybe between 14-20 years old between us, but it wasn’t a big deal when we killed our snake. As far as I can remember it was right around 46″, and no one made a big deal about it. It’s Eastern Ky folks, rattlesnakes and copperheads around going to be in the woods, and good ole boys are gonna kill em.

49. Garmaster
    12:26 pm July 27, 2013 Permalink

49. So you’re saying the snake you killed was nearly 3 feet long?

50. Wilson McCracken
    12:43 pm July 27, 2013 Permalink

The only good snake is a dead snake, and the bigger the snake is, the better he is dead. It’s a freaking RATTLESNAKE, folks, not a baby. Of course, most of the strange ones on here lamenting the poor venomous beast’s death are probably pro-abortion anyway.
    They probably just saved three children’s lives. And a few more bunny rabbits will live to see another day.

51. Wilson McCracken
    12:47 pm July 27, 2013 Permalink

25 & 33: Not only did genius muck up YOUR for YOU’RE, he also wrote IT’S when he should have written ITS. Maybe this is the root of our problems with genetic diversity: that, and the fact that apparently “52 inches is amost 4 feet” Ally works at a high school?!!!

52. theSkinny81
    1:54 pm July 27, 2013 Permalink

Jesus Effing Christ, people!

46 – “I just laugh at some of these goofballs who act like killing an EXTREMELY dangerous animal like a snake is a bad thing.” Well shit, in that case, lets exterminate ANY and ALL animals that pose a threat. Should we start with the humans first?

47 – “I am betting you have never seen a poisonous snake in the wild, it will get your attention trust me.” well, gee, when you put it like that, it OBVIOUSLY deserves to DIE!!

48 – “I don’t wont me or my loved ones bit by one.” Just, wow.

49 – “rattlesnakes and copperheads around going to be in the woods, and good ole boys are gonna kill em.” by ‘good ole boys’, you mean rednecks, right? Are these the same type of people who swerve to HIT dogs/cats/etc?

I hunt and fish, and am a huge supporter of keeping our firearms – but to just kill an animal for the sake of killing it…. or even worse, out of fear, is not cool. Never has been, never will be.

53. BurnerTurner5
    2:00 pm July 27, 2013 Permalink

Right on #51. #30-You’re an idiot. Do you know the facts or do you just get spoon fed your information from the liberal media?

54. Tim
    2:12 pm July 27, 2013 Permalink

33. That snake has less venom then a baby rattler. Get your facts start. Yet again don’t speak if you don’t know what your talking about

55. Tim
    2:18 pm July 27, 2013 Permalink

Ok let your house get overran with rats and mice etc. they don’t even attack livestock and I am far from liberal and all for coal. But a first born bite is more dangerous then this one and prob would have died soon anyway.

56. Tim
    2:20 pm July 27, 2013 Permalink

Sorry for the misspelling just in a hurry

57. Tim
    2:24 pm July 27, 2013 Permalink

And btw we are in the 6th extinction. Its none of my buisness what people do but no he shouldn’t be a game warden if that’s how he handles wildlife

58. Garmaster
    2:25 pm July 27, 2013 Permalink

If this snake was old and “would have died soon anyway”, why all the uproar about these guys killing it if they didn’t want it near their home.

59. Tim
    2:29 pm July 27, 2013 Permalink

51. He probably saved 3 children’s lives? Is that a joke? I really hope your not being serious. http://ufwildlife.ifas.ufl.edu/venomous_snake_faqs.shtml you people are literally dumb

60. Tim
    2:36 pm July 27, 2013 Permalink

And to all you running your mouth I’ll be fishing at Jacobson park all day in a green tshirt. Come on down well see how tuff you are

61. Tim
    2:37 pm July 27, 2013 Permalink

Tough

62. Tim
    2:37 pm July 27, 2013 Permalink

Tough. Spell correct

63. RealCatsFan
    3:29 pm July 27, 2013 Permalink

Tim, loved the bar chart in the link. So what that is saying is that the average redneck is much more likely to die from all the cigarettes and chewing tobacco that he is consuming, or from riding his motorcycle without a helmet or driving his pickup truck without seatbelts, than he is to die from a snake bite. Kind of poetic, isn’t it?

A friend of mine has a pole barn attached to his garage that has a lot of black rat snakes living in it. He and his buds go out there and shoot the things with a .22 rifle. Then he goes out and buys a lot of toxic rat and mouse baits to kill all the vermin living out there that the snakes would consume. Logic will never overcome pure fear and ignorance – you are wasting your breath when it comes to this subject!

64. Linda Taylor
    3:39 pm July 27, 2013 Permalink

The post by Linda Taylor @#13 was made by an impostor. I like Ally’s posts and think she does a great job.

65. theSkinny81
    3:47 pm July 27, 2013 Permalink

65- Some troll has been commenting as you on other posts. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. 😉

66. tuxedo park
    4:08 pm July 27, 2013 Permalink

Kentucky has like 20 poisonous snake bites a year, people. And the vast majority are from idiots that keep them as pets, who are TRYING to kill them, or doing some dumbass religious stuff! Last decade their were 10 deaths in ALL OF AMERICA related to snake bites! These things are just minding their business eating rodents. Leave them alone and focus on stuff that matters.

67. Linda Taylor
    4:10 pm July 27, 2013 Permalink

66 – I think he wants to be a woman myself.

68. Linda Taylor
    4:12 pm July 27, 2013 Permalink

68- Well said.

69. theSkinny81
    4:12 pm July 27, 2013 Permalink

68 – Good luck telling that to people on here. The majority seem to have the “KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!” mentality.

70. Linda Taylor
    4:17 pm July 27, 2013 Permalink

71- That doesn’t mean they are right though does it?

71. roger
    4:17 pm July 27, 2013 Permalink

I really hope that all that are against the killing of this snake are not meat eaters. Because millions of animals are killed every day, that are being eaten. I mean heck, there are fruits, vegetables, grain, etc that one can consume. So I guess the killing of all these animals is a waste and should be avoided. Oh, I see, it’s ok to kill the animals if you want a big ole greasy cheese burger or pork chop. It’s ok to kill if benefits you and makes you happy. We do not know the circumstances around the killing of the snake. Those boys may have eaten it. Heck, they may have taken it home, fed it to their hogs, which in the future may end up on your plate. Hmm, there is complaint that the snake could have killed rats. What about the rats? I guess maybe they should have the right not be eaten by a snake. Not to mention those pretty little rabbits that this snake would have eaten. In some states they have contest for who can kill the most rattle snakes. Some areas would be took over by snakes (or at least many more snake bite victims) if they didn’t have these contest.

Screw the mice, rats, rabbits, puppies, cats. Save the Snakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

72. Linda Taylor
    4:21 pm July 27, 2013 Permalink

73- You make some good points.

73. Linda Taylor
    8:36 pm July 27, 2013 Permalink

13- you are right.

74. Linda Taylor
    9:13 pm July 27, 2013 Permalink

The only posts by the real Linda Taylor on this thread are numbers 64 and 67 and this one at this time and this is the last post on this thread that I will be posting no matter how many posts the impostor makes.

75. Garmaster
    11:23 pm July 27, 2013 Permalink

76. That’s crazy talk. That’s about as likely as finding a 52″, nearly 4′ rattlesnake in Kentucky.

76. tuxedo park
    8:17 am July 28, 2013 Permalink

mmmmm, i love me some snake-fed pork!

77. lo eaton
    11:46 am July 28, 2013 Permalink

a) not sure where 7.8′ record originated since diamondback rattlers exceeding 8′ were common in 1960’s in Florida.
    b) Albert Einstein said that twenty essential components would have to come together to result in mankind “evolving” into the creature we are now. He said that the odds for this occurring are between zero and zero. He also said (translated), “evolution signifies improvements/expanded capabilities, and I have seen no evidence that this has ever actually happened”
    c) Catholic means “universal” which it was in the beginning. Detractors of this faith are those who have difficulty with structure, discipline and authority all of which the Catholic church represents (top rated schools along with Jewish schools). Dislike for Catholicism normally is taught from early childhood and is based upon ignorance of the facts for the most part.

78. mike
    10:38 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

#52 I guess you can say anything on here, so let me say I’m betting you have never been fishing and you wouldn’t know one end of a gun from the other, just what would make you so smart that you would bet that I have never seen a snake in the woods? one thing you can know for a fact now, that you”ll not as smart as you think you are, I’m a thinking your the one that haven’t seen or done much.