8 Observations From Day One At The Masters

maxim-izod

Our first day in Augusta is winding down and I have eight observations from all the action. Why eight, you ask? Because I don’t have the energy to write nine. Here’s what all I learned from Tuesday with IZOD and Maxim at The Masters…

1.) Two hours of sleep weren’t nearly enough.

Sometime around 2:00 a.m. last night, when I started packing for the trip, it hit me that my 4:00 a.m. alarm wasn’t too far away. Two hours, to be exact. At that moment in the wee hours of the night, I knew my first trip to Augusta would be a struggle. And a struggle, it was.

I walked around the grounds today looking like an extra in The Walking Dead. While golf fans were anxious to catch a glimpse of Tiger Woods or Phil Mickelson, I was on the hunt for Red Bull. A really, really big Red Bull. Or crack. Whatever I could get my hands on.

It’s not the way I dreamed of seeing The Masters for the first time, but walking around Augusta National like a zombie was better than not walking around Augusta National at all.

The course looked amazing, I think.

2.) The Maxim Clubhouse is awesome.

All the sleep deprivation in the world couldn’t contain our excitement when the taxi dropped us off at the Maxim Clubhouse. The place looks like the way I imagine heaven — models everywhere, TVs everywhere, open bar — located right down the street from The Masters. The only thing missing is a live concert featuring Jimmy Buffet and Notorious B.I.G., and I wouldn’t put it past the Maxim/IZOD crew to throw one together before the weekend.

Here’s a look at the backyard from this morning…

maxim-clubhouse

See what I mean?

3.) The Carl Pettersson/Tim Clarke matchup was lopsided.

Matt and I decided to walk the course from the first tee with whatever group was teeing off when we got there. KSR, meet Carl Pettersson and Tim Clarke.

Since it wasn’t the matchup we hoped to see, we decided to do some friendly hole-by-hole wagering to pump up our enthusiasm. I took Clarke, Matt took Pettersson. I was cussing Clarke by the third hole, where he bogeyed for the third time.

Tim Clarke is the worst golfer in America.

4.) I’m rooting for Scott Piercy and so should you.

Piercy is on #TeamIZOD and has drawn the assignment of playing next to Tiger Woods in his first trip to The Masters. He and Webb Simpson, another #TeamIZOD member, are the two guys KSR is backing this weekend.

Hi-Ya!

5.) The egg salad sandwich is the nastiest piece of food I’ve ever put in my mouth.

The egg salad sandwich is a tradition unlike any other at The Masters. At only $1.50 a piece, the individually wrapped sandwiches are a must-try at the golf course, so I was told.

I spit mine out in the front row of the grandstand at Amen Corner. It should be a crime to sell those things.

The pimento cheese, on the other hand, wasn’t as bad.

6.) “Skipping” at the par-3 16th is very fun to watch.

After teeing off at the par-3 16th during practice rounds at The Masters, players scoot up to the edge of the pond to “skip” balls across the water toward the green. Fans will boo players who walk past without participating in the tradition, and applaud those who take a stab at reaching the green off the wet bounce. Most of Tuesday’s attempts were unsuccessful, but Martin Kaymer sunk a skipping hole-in-one last year.

7.) The gift shop is a trap.

Don’t go in there unless you’re ready to buy stuff you don’t need or want.

All sales are final, too. It’s a trap.

8.) It’s going to be a fun week.

Matt and I will be spending the rest of the week at the Maxim Clubhouse for the parties and festivities away from the course. We’ll be doing the radio show from here in the mornings and tweeting out all the randomness throughout the day, plus tomorrow night’s party to launch the tournament. Stay tuned for more and go Scott Piercy and Webb Simpson.

Article written by Drew Franklin

25 Comments for 8 Observations From Day One At The Masters

1. Arnold Palmer
    9:35 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

You need to learn some respect for the game. A lot of people would love to be where you are, only without the b**ching!!!

2. shields eyes
    9:38 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

Wow, Drew, this is gold sir. Please post some picture with some ladies in them. Are you guys going to want to come back is the question.

3. BigBlueBogey
    9:41 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

Tim Clarke won the USGA Publinks at Kearney Hills in Lexington back in the day!

4. afidler
    9:43 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

This post brought to you by Maxim and IZOD.

5. kentuckyjoe
    9:51 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

Tim Clarke is not the worst; I am. And you got exactly what you deserved for even trying to eat egg salad. Egg salad is gross by definition.

6. Carl spackler
    9:53 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

So I tell ’em I’m a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama himself. The 12th son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald… striking. So, I’m on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one–big hitter, the Lama–long, into a 10,000-foot crevasse right at the base of this glacier. Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga… gunga, gunga-galunga. So we finish the 18th and he’s gonna stiff me. And I say, ‘Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know?’ And he says, ‘Oh, uh, there won’t be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.’ So I got that goin’ for me, which is nice.

7. Platinum Unis
    10:00 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

What the hell is KSR doing at The Masters?

8. 9 is fine
    10:06 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

Can we switch jobs this Sunday? I can probably eat crappy food and walk around Augusta with no sleep and write a post about it, if y’all are too tired.

9. Duffus
    10:12 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

Duffus says the pamento cheese is out of this world—have they heard of “Stoops Troops”? THEY WILL

10. Realist
    10:27 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

#10 – Then go back to your UL fan site, celebrate with your own kind, and admire those shirtless pictures of Russ Smith on your hard drive that you think we don’t know about. We don’t care about your sh*t(ty team).

11. larry
    10:33 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

It’s a tie game so far between Pros vs. Cons. Keep them coming. This could be as exciting as last nights game. And just like last nights game, the winner gets a tattoo.

12. JC
    10:39 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

I love this stuff. Mixes it up and gives me a reason to check. People here hate success and hate for you guys to have a life. Can’t wait til we start registering on here. Get the chicken shit out of here.

13. leedee
    10:56 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

Wait, let me guess. Maxium and Izog are paying for the trip?

14. Uk4life
    10:56 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

I agree with #1. You have no business being in that sacred place. I hope you get a lot of sleep tonight, so you can enjoy an experience that tons of golfers would love to have.

15. larry
    12:12 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Shit guys, don’t tell me theres more than UK sports out there. That’s terrible. On a side note, I am happy to witness the return to #1 and the return of a championship to well deserved greatness. Thought I was talking about Louisville? Tiger by 3.

16. Tuggy B
    1:03 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Seriously. How the hell did you guys pull this off? And, JC… it’s not hating success… it’s hating success from folks that have no clue what to do with it. Some folks work hard to get to where they’re at and this shows you that all you need to be are douche bags with money and you can pretty much go wherever you want. And JC… we have enough keyboard warriors on the internet, OK? 🙂

17. KB
    4:08 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Anybody who doesn’t think Matt and Drew don’t work hard obviously doesn’t follow KSR. These guys work all the time. They are getting rewarded for it with these new gigs and I couldn’t be happier for them. They deserve it and it makes the site more entertaining. Don’t listen to the jealous haters guys. Enjoy!

18. Golf Sucks
    4:42 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Golf is a rich boy sport that 75% of the population could careless about. Just saying!

19. Ridge Runner
    4:58 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

As a resident of nearby Augusta, I notmally rent my house out this week and head to Ky and visit family but “work” had other idea’s this year. Anyway, off day fri and after the traffic dies down some Fri morning, I may hust stop by and holler howdy y’all. Washington Road is crazy, huh Drew?

20. Ridge Runner
    4:59 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Have not woke up yet myself, –sorry for the spelling nightmare above folks.
    🙁

21. I have a dream...
    7:47 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

… That someday idiots on the internet like #18 will learn that if they don’t care about something they should say “I couldn’t care less” which would mean your levels of not caring couldn’t get any lower. If you could care less that means you actually must care at least a little bit. How hard is that to understand?

22. RahRah
    8:03 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Is there a ksr Masters’ blog? Sounds like fun. Hope you guys enjoy the experience. You deserve an escape from Kentucky after this basketball season! Wouldn’t mind getting out of town awhile myself.

23. RC
    8:27 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Drew tweeted that he shattered his new iPhone 5 last night. Best guess is it was around midnight. After running on 2 hours sleep the night before.

Some of us adults in the room might point out that this mishap was inevitible, or at least a distinct possibility.

Get your rest, Drew. To borrow a phrase- You can’t have a week’s fun on the first night; but you can ruin your week on the first night.

24. Rockfield, KY
    9:16 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

If you don’t get a 16 oz Coors Original and a barbeque beef sandwich, then you’re doing it wrong. And it only costs about $6.50 total. Also, get to Amen’s corner early on Thursday and set up your chairs on the fairway of the 13th past the bend. Bet on drives without looking at who has honors. Thank me later. We played it for 3 hours and I lost $60.

25. MEETBAWL
    10:16 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

My name is Tim Clark. You may have gotten me confused with Darren Clarke who sucks much worse than I do. Thanks!