– Not surprisingly, the status of Terrence Jones was discussed — or at least as much as it could be. Coach Cal said they had not received any new Letters of Intent and indicated that they were not certain if one would arrive or not. However, he did note that he will not recruit a kid who is committed to a school unless he decommits publicly .
– On the subject of his team’s grades, Cal gave a couple of responses, first channeling 19 year-old me by saying that “bad semesters happen” sometimes, before reiterating that he is committed to the idea of academic growth. Cal cited his past at Memphis and UMass as indicators of potential success at UK. His goal is to make sure his players graduate and, according to him, he has a history of doing that.
– For the first time publicly, he at least acknowledged a situation with Darnell Dodson, saying that the junior guard’s status is still “up in the air”. Cal didn’t speak to reasons why Dodson’s status was uncertain, but he did make it apparent that his potential involvement in next year’s team was very much unknown with him as well, saying that he really didn’t know if Dodson would be back.
– Cal said he’d be shocked if Eric Bledsoe and Daniel Orton return to UK and expects them both to sign with an agent and remain in the draft. No surprise there.
– Cal did have a funny line to ease some of the apparent tension in the room. When speaking about how next year’s team would shape up, he assured everyone that they would be fine and the team would again be a good one. Then, he added that he hopes it’s at team that you can’t play a 1-3-1 against. Boom! Cal humor!