5 “Way Too Early” Predictions for Kentucky Football

the watsons

Before I actually get into the sports stuff, I need to give a huge shout-out the newly wed Mr. and Mrs. Taylor Watson.  Taylor and his wife Daria were married yesterday in a beautiful ceremony in Carrollton which I was lucky enough to attend, and all of us here at KSR wish them nothing but the brightest of futures together.  It’s wedding season people, and while the ceremony was great, the reception was out of this world.  Great job, guys.

2013-05-25 17.48.03

As the festivities started to settle down, the conversation started to turn from talk about love and life, to Kentucky sports (of course), and more in particular Kentucky Football.  Although most of the ramble that came as a result originated in a cold beverage, it did afford me some time to start thinking about the coming season and I finally found the liquid courage to give my predictions for the 2013 Air Raid 2.0.  Let the debate begin…

1. Za’Darius Smith will finish in the top three in the SEC in total sacks.

6’6″, 270 lbs. of solid rock.  No further explanation necessary.

2. Maxwell Smith will start the season under center.

The QB job is far from decided, but I can’t help but feel as though it’s Smith’s to lose.  Just because Maxwell will start the season, that doesn’t mean that Whitlow and Patty Ice won’t see snaps.

3. Kentucky will lose on the road at Vandy, but will beat Western and either Louisville OR Tennessee.

I refuse to accept that Kentucky got beat by Western last season.  Stoops won’t let that happen again, and his boys will go into Nashville and take care of business.  And while I would love to say that the Cats will beat both Louisville AND Tennessee, history has shown that Kentucky rarely experiences too much of a good thing.  Either is fine with me, but I’d rather it be Tennessee to go down.  Here’s to a streak of our own, cheers.

4. Ryan Timmons will score at least two Special Teams touchdowns as a Freshman.

Enjoy.  Skip ahead to the 1:08 mark and watch him turn on the jets and leave everyone in the dust.

5. Kentucky will finish the year 4-8 and will win at least two games in the SEC.

That’s a low-end estimate, but it’s about as realistic as I can be right now.  5-7 isn’t out of the question and a .500 record isn’t entirely impossible.  It’s a system, folks, and it’s going to take a couple of seasons for the transformation to be complete.  Patience young Skywalker, patience.

Thoughts?

@WEJarboe_KSR

Article written by Erik Jarboe

35 Comments for 5 “Way Too Early” Predictions for Kentucky Football

1. SEC Big Boys
    9:09 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

2-10 or 3-9 and no SEC wins. Point, Blank, Period!

2. Sito
    9:09 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

Another pointless KSR post.

1-11 is more likely than 4-8

3. Raj
    9:11 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

I predict a victory over Alabama (state)

4. wildcat502
    9:12 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

I still believe we will beat Western, Louisville, Tennessee and Possibly Vandy, along with the 2 D2 schools for a 500 season.

5. And soon it will be ......
    9:14 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

Stoops the poop!

6. sugar bowl
    9:16 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

1-11 and strong will cut some bacon off stoops’ fat back.

7. kramer
    9:16 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

I would rather beat WKU and UL than Tenn, I want to see the Card fans CRY!!!!!

8. Jonnie Long
    9:19 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

15-0 and NC!!!

9. John Calipari's Amazing One and Done Flying Circus
    9:23 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

.500 minimum

It is going to be fun. That’s what’s important.

10. Yup
    9:33 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

D. Robinson is way too quick and elusive to keep off punt returns. Timmons should get his share but two is a lot for somebody who may only get 15-20 opportunities.

11. DrSayre
    9:35 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

If we win 2 SEC games, and we beat Western, what 2 non-conference games do we lose to finish 4-8?

12. Nelson
    9:40 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

Matt and Drew must still be in Floyd county without Internet connection

13. Butterflies are Free
    9:46 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

I predict 7-5….! Mark it down.

14. Jason
    9:50 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

5-7 (2-6) Wins over Western Kentucky, Miami (OH), Alabama State, Missouri and Tennessee.

15. Think harder next time.
    9:51 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

You are going to win 2 SEC games but only go 4-8? The ignorance level of SEC football on this site is astounding. God help Mark Stoops.

16. shelbycat
    9:58 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

why are all these trolls on here dogging our football team. 6 wins write it down.

17. Jordan
    9:59 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

Why not rather beat UofL and ruin their season. UT isn’t going anywhere, but UofL is heading for 12-0 and an outside title shot, (only to be smashed by Alabama), but why risk it?

18. Cawood's Court
    10:14 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

Since the WKU game is in Nashville does that mean the Cats are the visitor team, and will be on the visitor side of the field like an NFL game at LP field?

19. who
    10:18 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

A post that includes wedding pics. WTF!!!! Including a pic of a bunch of d bags saluting something insignificant. Wow ksr has reached a new low

20. otis
    10:52 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

2-10, same old uk.

21. Real Otis
    10:57 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

2-10 in football and NIT first round loss to Robert Morris in basketball

22. AHEM
    11:36 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

If louisville played in the SEC, they would be a 9-3 team best. Its easy to talk crap when your playing in the big east or whatever. SEC has been dominating year after year. No way loserville makes a name in the SEC.

23. Swoony
    12:21 am May 27, 2013 Permalink

Worst. Post. Ever.

24. snarkster
    12:42 am May 27, 2013 Permalink

If you’re saying UK will beat WKU AND win two in the SEC AND finish 4-8, then you must be saying that they will lose to either Miami (OH) or Alabama St. If they beat WKU, UL AN win two SEC games, they will go bowling. I’m not worrying too much about W’s & L’s this year, but ifpressed, I’d guess four with an outside shot at five.

25. Come on!!!
    12:57 am May 27, 2013 Permalink

What’s with all the negative football comments !??!? I’m a 10
    Season ticket holder. I drive from pikeville rain or shine. Win or lose. I NEVER leave early! I refuse to bash my team! Bbn!!!!

26. portlandky
    3:31 am May 27, 2013 Permalink

Between 4-8, 8-4, 2-10, 10-2, who cares? I just want to see a team that competes & has fun doing it. I’m tired of the team looking like it’s over by the 6 minute mark of the 1st quarter. I think Stoops is doing a hell of a job so far! He’ll need a couple of years, but we will get there. Maybe this year, maybe next, maybe the next, but I do think it will happen under his watch.

27. Bobbum man
    3:47 am May 27, 2013 Permalink

This is terrible…. What’s a Erik Jarboe anyways?

9- I’m not gonna lie that names pretty awesome

28. Larry linebeard
    3:52 am May 27, 2013 Permalink

25- you drive from pikeville win or lose? Makes sense…..

29. dshwildcats
    6:04 am May 27, 2013 Permalink

After a 2-10 season last fall, it’s hard to see a winning season this fall. Like portlandky, I mainly want to see a team that is competitive until the final horn. The beating Kentucky took in Fayetteville last season was almost too much to bare (and thank goodness that game was called due to weather).

I see non-conference wins over Western, Miami and Alabama State. Although it’s unlikely, I would not be totally shocked to see Kentucky upset the Cards. The Cards are not going to be the team week in and week out that we saw against Florida in the Sugar Bowl. They showed that last season. And, with the game being played in Lexington this year, the Cards will have just one week to prepare for Neal Brown’s offense instead of an entire offseason.

IMO, the most likely candidates for SEC wins would probably be Mizzou and Tennessee, both at home. I think Kentucky will win one out of the two.

I’ll say 4-8, with an outside shot at 5-7. But, if the team looks prepared, and plays hard to the very end, I’ll be happy!

30. footballfanatic
    9:06 am May 27, 2013 Permalink

I dont think most rational fans expect a huge turn around from last season, the lack of talent is just too big right now with no depth.
    Stoops understands that, you want to win and play big boy football, you’d better get recruiting big boys. We are still a long way off as far as talent is concerned but give this staff a few more years to add some depth.
    If this team can show they actually know how to play and show great effort every week, then I’m good with it. Be competitive, play hard, show the fans and recruits we’re serious about winning in football too.

31. Jay
    9:22 am May 27, 2013 Permalink

We can beat WKU, you’re being a pessimist saying otherwise. The two wins against the MAC and D2 give 3 wins on the season. We all talk about Vandy, but Mizzou at CWS is a likely win because Mizzou has been steadily decreasing in talent the past few years. They are as bad as it gets in the SEC. There’s your four wins with maybe a shocker against Tenn.

32. dshwildcats
    10:31 am May 27, 2013 Permalink

footballfanatic,

You make some very good points, brother! I hope our fanbase shows patience with Coach Stoops and his staff, and gives them the time it is going to take to get this thing going in the right direction. Like you said, we’ve got a lot of ground to make up when it comes to talent and depth.

I’ve been following this football program for over 40 years now, and last year had to be one of the worst prepared squads I’ve witnessed. It is one thing to get embarrassed by the likes of Florida and UGA; it’s a totally different story when you’re getting embarrassed by a bad Arkansas team and Vandy (although the Commodores were a solid team last year).

Four to five wins would be a very solid year for this team, given the strength of our schedule. I don’t think it would be too unrealistic to expect 6 wins in 2014, and a bowl bid. After that, things could really begin to take off. I think we should all be excited about the future of this program!

33. not gay
    2:46 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

that taylor watson is a good lookin dude, just sayin

wheat barely alfalfa

34. Jeff Garlin
    3:23 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

Timmons is a beast! 4-8 is a good prediction..

35. Jim 1
    4:07 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

Winning 2 sec games and beating W. KY, then only going 4&8 ??. Picking Smith as the starting qb under Neal Brown’s air-raid system is pure speculation.

One thing we all can predict, under Stoops and Brown we can expect more excitement and better coaching up the players. Give Stoops time and he will build a strong football program.