40 Minutes of Hell

uk-ark

Kentucky looked great coming out of the gate.  Willie Cauley-Stein scored two quick buckets and made a big block in the opening two minutes.  From there, the Cats took an 11-4 lead and sucked the life out of Bud Walton Arena.  We knew the first few minutes of the game would be key, and with that in mind, it was lining up to be a fun day in Fayetteville for Kentucky basketball.

But the fun didn’t last long.

After an enjoyable five minutes of basketball, the final 35 minutes were painful to watch.  The Cats were outworked and out-hustled on both ends of the floor as Arkansas cruised to a 73-60 victory, its 14th consecutive win at home.

In his postgame radio interview, Calipari said, “My teams have always fought and had a battle mentality. Right now, I am having to play guys that don’t battle.”

And there wasn’t much battle in the guys he had to play against Arkansas.

All eyes were on Archie Goodwin in his return home to Arkansas to face the school he shunned for greener pastures and better basketball, so he thought, in Kentucky.  The pride of Little Rock brought his entire family to the game — he used his teammates’ ticket allotment to get everyone in — and he was excited to put on a show for his biggest fans, and the haters, in his home state.  Unfortunately, it was a long afternoon for Archie in Bud Walton, but not for lack of effort.  He fought hard in Kentucky’s loss and led the team in scoring with 14 points, despite a never-ending storm of heckling from the home crowd. While Razorbacks fans chanted “Archie sucks!” and “You-are-sel-fish!” toward the young guard, he continued to battle to try to keep his team alive.  Afterward, he downplayed the taunting from fans, saying, “I’m not from here. I’m from Little Rock. Everybody in Little Rock loves me.”  But still, even with his positive attitude in the hostile environment, Archie’s hustle and fight weren’t enough to get his team the W in a game he expected to win. “I thought we jumped that wall and would be able to run through the rest of these teams,” he told reporters after the game.  That wasn’t the case.

While a lot of Kentucky basketball fans will try to pull the Doug Shows card on this one, the blame shouldn’t be tossed out past the Kentucky players.  Yes, there were plenty of calls to be upset over, but officiating didn’t dictate the outcome of the game.  Kentucky lacked the toughness and effort it takes to win on the road in the SEC, especially at Arkansas where the Razorbacks are undefeated in conference play, and it was clear that Mike Anderson’s squad wanted it more, similar to how UK played Missouri last Saturday.  Coach Cal said his team never turned on the fight and some players were overwhelmed by the pressure. “That disappointed me,” he added.

We can talk all night about what went wrong, but two stats tell the entire story: Kentucky turned the ball over 17 times and allowed 19 offensive rebounds.  It also didn’t help that UK went 3-for-14 from beyond the three-point line.  It’d be nearly impossible for any team in America to win a game with those numbers.  Those are brutal statistics.

Kentucky actually shot the ball pretty well from inside the arc, the problem is the Cats weren’t getting enough shots off.  The offense was out of sync throughout most of the game and there was a 12 minute stretch to start the second half when Kentucky had seven turnovers to eight field goal attempts.  Kentucky somehow managed to finish with a much better percentage from the field than its opponent — 46.5% to 34.8% — but Arkansas killed the Cats with second chance baskets and points off turnovers.

Try this one on…

Points Off Turnovers

Kentucky: 2
Arkansas: 30

That’s ugly, folks.  That’s really ugly.

Remember when we thought Alex Poythress turned the corner for good?  I think it was said, like, four hours ago. Yeah, that’s false.  Poythress continued his streak of disappearing on the road with another mediocre outing today.  After the game, Willie Cauley-Stein said everyone had energy in the three previous games, but some people didn’t show up with that energy today.  It’s safe to assume Alex Poythress is one of the “some people” Willie was referring to.  Poythress, though perfect from the field, didn’t bring it against Arkansas.  He showed flashes at times, but if we want flashes, we’ll go back and watch the 2012 national title celebrations on State Street.  We need to see dominance from Alex Poythress and he has it deep down in him somewhere.  We think.

Willie Cauley-Stein recorded his first double-double in SEC play with 13 points and 10 rebounds. He’s also the reason there is a lot of dry wall to be repaired in the state of Kentucky after the way he turned the ball over and missed free throw after free throw when UK needed any points it could get.  And I don’t blame Willie for that, either.  Kentucky continued to feed him the ball in the post when he hasn’t proven to anyone that he can score with his back to the rim.  Willie has been great defensively and on the boards since Nerlens’ injury, but even he knows he’s not a scorer.  But, for whatever reason, Kentucky’s guards forced it to him in the paint like he was Hakeem Olajuwon setting up for the Dream Shake.  That’s not Willie’s game, and it showed.

It’s hard to be critical of Julius Mays after the way he’s carried the team lately, but, man, he was ice cold from downtown.  Uncle Julius missed a lot of wide open three-pointers at crucial moments in the game, which is very uncharacteristic of him.  Those are the shots he’s knocked down all year but he didn’t have it today.  He finished the game with only one made three-pointer on 1-of-6 shooting from deep and 1-for-8 overall.  It just wasn’t his day.

Ryan Harrow reverted backwards just a little bit at the point guard spot but he still played better than the Ryan Harrow of January.  Harrow and the rest of the UK backcourt were bothered by Arkansas’ pressure and never got it going offensively.  They struggled to bring the ball up the court and were outplayed and outworked by the Razorbacks’ guards.  It wasn’t the day UK needed from Ryan Harrow, but I’m still stoked over the way he’s played since demanding to start against Vanderbilt, so, like Uncle Julius, let’s chalk it up as a bad day.  It’ll be interesting to see how he responds at Georgia, the state where he earned the 2010 Gatorade Player of the Year honors in high school, in a game Kentucky has to win.

Kyle Wiltjer was held to five quiet points so he’s now averaging 4.5 points in the last four games. Come home, Kyle.  We miss you.  Show us your three-goggles again.

Although Kentucky’s loss has everyone of us bummed out this Saturday evening, there were two pieces of good news from around the conference.  Alabama lost to Florida and Ole Miss lost to Mississippi State. Yes, Ole Miss, the team that at one time looked poised to contend for the conference title, lost to Mississippi State, the team of replacements we just saw in Rupp Arena.  You can now exit the bubble, Rebels.  Tennessee also lost to Georgia, therefore Kentucky doesn’t lose any ground in the race for the two seed in Nashville.

Just a little silver lining for you, I guess.

Beat Georgia.

Article written by Drew Franklin

56 Comments for 40 Minutes of Hell

1. Yngvie Malmsteen.
    8:21 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

We’re soft as Kate Upton’s puppies.

2. SEC Tournament
    8:22 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Cats fans, it isn’t over. Don’t lose hope because you lost a road game. Come on down to me in a couple weeks and you can still make it. Even if you lose the next two games, you’ll still be in the top half of the conference and not have an impossible task. You’re Kentucky. These will be home games if you want them to be. Imagine how much it’ll make everyone mad if you’re the Cinderella this year.

3. Dribble drive high five
    8:24 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

I hope a couple of these guys come back next year, I’d hate for guys to leave feeling no love from the fans. This team is talented, just young

4. statline
    8:24 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

wiltjer had 5 in the first minute he was in the game

5. oldschool
    8:26 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Preseason #3?

I can only laugh and shake my head when I hear Matt and others talk about UK going undefeated next season – based on the hype of 18-year-old kids. It was that same hype that procuded such lofty, unrealistic expectations for this group.

But all is not lost. We have draft night coming up in July – and that’s what really matters. Remember – almighty Cal told us that. Don’t you dare question him. Losing out on a bid to the NCAA and suffering through a lackluster season – it’s all worth it if Cal can make millionaires out of 18-year-old kids. Players first. Fans a distant second, if that.

6. The Truth
    8:27 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

I think I happened to mention a few games back that we were jumping the gun on the CATS breaking out of their cage for good. Where are all the praises for Harrow, Poythress, and Archie now? Gosh dang it, it’s frustrating to watch these guys. For all of y’all out there, please stay behind these guys and continue to be loyal fans. I know its easy to ask “what have you done for me lately?” and get upset but lets think about what KENTUCKY stands for and even though we are having a down year, keep rooting for the boys in blue. Correct me if I’m wrong but I think 1 year and 1 month ago we were kings of the court.

7. Ukbradstith
    8:29 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

You had to know we were going to lose this one, but hopefully we can get by Georgia and I really have a feeling we can beat Florida in rupp.

8. Big J
    8:30 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Sorry, I disagree. The way the game was and was not called did dictate the outcome of the game. I agree with Jay Bilias. The body bumping hand checking and slapping has to be called. This is not football where the toughest team usually wins, it was intended to be a finesse game. It is ruining college basketball.

9. Coach Cal
    8:31 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Don’t worry, I am going to sign 8 or 9 pros next year. So, I should be able to get back to just rolling the ball out there.

10. Hey
    8:36 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

9. Pitino signs dick and how’s working for ya? When was your last title??? Ours was 11 months ago! Suck it byotch!

11. NEWMAN
    8:37 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Seriously? Seriously.

When are we going to accept these freshman for who they are, and not who they were hyped up to be prior to the season? Poythress going “beast mode” is an exception, people, not what’s to be expected every game. He is capable of having a good game, yes, but otherwise he is who he’s demonstrated time and time again. And Archie is Archie.

This is your team.

If they came back they would likely behind the next wave of freshmen. No chance of these guys coming back.

But seriously, how much of this is on the guys and how much is it on the coaching staff? Is it really a bad luck of the draw, that we happened to get a #1 recruiting class of guys not living up to their billing?

12. Jim Reed
    8:37 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Well, at least … uh … hmm …

13. brain
    8:39 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

5-You ain’t gotta go home but you gotta get up outta here.

14. DavidDuke4UK
    8:43 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

UK’s problem is Cal didn’t sign any white guys in this class.

15. Is it Possible?
    8:44 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Good Lord #5, feel free to express yourself, but can you ever post something intelligent? Is that asking too much?

16. wellsy
    8:47 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

We should b fine my friends. When we get n the big dance it will b a new season. Plus the ncaa knows we will bring 10000 where ever they put us.

17. theSkinny81
    8:54 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

5 – What part of “players first program” do you not understand? I agree, I’d love to see us put a smack-down on every team, every year. I reaalllyy like it when we win championships, and 3 I have been witness to.

However, there is more to all this than just putting a ball through a hoop. I agree with Calipari and his philosophy of helping kids make it, whether it be making millions or getting a degree, or both. Just like I’d want to see my own kids make it (if one day, I have any).

But see, you’re one of the many people out there whose head is so far up their own ass, they fail to see there are other people on this earth. You see, it’s not all about YOU.

Go Cats.

18. Jim Dandy of a GAYME
    8:54 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

You are right 14! BTW did anyone hear that John Short got arrested for jerking off in the Kroger deli this afternoon?

19. World Wide Wes
    8:55 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

No worries. We are putting the finishing touches on the financial package with Wiggins’ handlers. Ge will be a Cat.

20. theSkinny81
    8:58 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

19 – Holy crap. That was awesome. Seriously, you are brilliant.

21. kentuckyrules
    8:59 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Thank you # 17 for putting it into perspective!! 🙂

22. mudcreekmark
    9:03 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

We lose to Tennessee by 30. We come back and beat a terrible Vandy team at home. We beat a good but not great Missouri team at home in OT when 4 players have their best games of the year all in one game and then beat one of the worse teams in the country at home and everyone on here was gushing about our great team. Guys we just aren’t a very good basketball team. We don’t have play makers. We have a bunch of individual players that have no idea how to play the game of basketball.

23. tacolikka
    9:08 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

18**i don’t know him, but the news report said the seafood dept

24. Bledsoe's Biceps
    9:10 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

I know KSR has been giving a lot of love to Julius, but I’m not with you. Yes, he has had some good games and big moments, but so has Archie, Poythress and Polson. The lack of defense from Julius hurts us every game. Julius gives up 10 -12 points every game, because his man drives by him or he makes no effort to provide weak side help. On offense, he’s a shorter and just barely quicker version of Wiltjer. He is strictly a spot up shooter. Kyle has at least developed some inside offensive moves.

25. kentuckyrules
    9:10 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

22- the insightful one – yup, none of these guys that play D1 ball know HOW to play basketball…smart comment, for sure.

26. Harmon
    9:19 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

On the constant feeding of Willie with his back to the basket: Calipari is allowing him to showcase his skills to any NBA team that might be watching. It’s a players first program.

27. Thatsashame
    9:26 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

The post feed almost always drew a double team. WCS just needs to kick it out to open player. That part of your analysis was wrong. The rest is pretty accurate.

28. UKfan89
    9:28 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Why is everyone so negative??? This was a very tough game that the Cats were not picked to win! It doesn’t matter if we lost by 1 or 20, it is still a loss-and not a “bad loss” either!!!. Beat Georgia, then make a little run in the SEC tournament and UK is in the dance. Then, anything can happen!

29. Wildcat Willie
    9:31 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Drew F. love what you guys do and all and I agree with just about everything in your post. However, I’m so tired of the Politically correct, we didn’t lose because of the refs business. As Cat fans we are often quick to blame the refs when things aren’t going well but today, yes we lost because of Doug Shows and company. To start the game our team came out with fire and competitiveness, we looked like we were going to run that team out of Arkansas. It’s not always the bad calls that beat you, it’s how they allow one team to play but not the other. You cannot sit there and tell me if you’re being honest, that they didn’t allow Arkansas to slap grab push and pull there way to that victory. The reason we turned the ball so many times is because of that more than anything else. Sure we threw some balls away and made some poor decisions but I make good use of my DVR. every call I see that I feel is questionable I will run back and watch it again to see if I’m just watching through blue tinted glasses, sometimes that is the case but there were so many no calls today that lead to them having 20 something more FG attempts than us. Tell me how a team can slap and hack like that yet still get called for 3 fewer personal fouls than UK?

Arkansas is GARBAGE. Yes the Refs gave this one to them. Maybe its the Arkansas crowd that influences Refs to call the game in their favor. If I saw the stat correctly the are 2-35 on Neutral site and road games in the last 2 years……GARBAGE.

The referees simply do not do their jobs when they play to the crowd. It’s hurting the game also. When Arkansas overcame that first stretch where they were behind I started watching Doug Shows a lot closer, seems like every call he makes is against UK. It’s clear he’s biased against the Cats and or Cal, or both. Why the NCAA allows douche bags like that to still call our games is what makes the NCAA what they are which is also a bunch of classless douche bags.

Sorry for the rant. But this has been sticking in my crawl ever since someone on the radio show pointed out our record in Doug Shows games decided by 5 pts or less. what was it 1-15?

30. Wildcat Willie
    9:42 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

#5 if you really do think you’re a UK fan, please go chain three cinder blocks to your ankles and jump into a lake please.

31. Mc
    9:43 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

29. I completely agree. I try not to blame refs, but today was blatant. What cracked me up was when they called a hand check with 5 minutes to go with Arkansas up about 10. DVR is great too. Put mine to work today. Saw a few phantom calls, and also calls by refs with poor angles that would have no way of seeing it. I think there should be at least a 6 foul limit to reduce the amount these idiots can change a game. I also think flops should be technicals. We should have returned the favor by holding them to bring attention to it.

32. Eazy E or Eric Wright it's all the same
    9:45 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

The chances of Kennedy losing his job after this season are now 99.9% after the loss at Messy State. The .01 equates to their chances of winning the SEC tourney.

33. kentuckyrules
    9:46 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

26- this is an assholes-first site, so be glad you have a place to post.

34. Eazy E or Eric Wright it's all the same
    9:48 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

#32) 99.99% typo yo

35. Wildcat Willie
    9:51 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

31- I agree with you on the flopping, I’ve said this many times to my buddies during games, they should T these guys up when they clearly flop to try to draw a charge. and the same on the shot attempt, when they fly there arms out and fall down after a shot to try to draw a foul call. Give their butts a Technical, will cut this crap out.

Here is the deal too about the Block/Charge call. By definition, and the way I interpret the rule, it is almost always a blocking foul. Very rarely is a guy stationary when trying to draw a charge. I would guess 8 out of 10 times that call should go against the defense. I would LOVE to see stats on the “Blarge” for UK vs other teams. We have to get called for the charge more than any other team in America. but on the other end we always get called for the block. I will say this bunch this year just simply doesn’t try to take a lot of charges for whatever reason.

36. DCS195
    10:05 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Just because the guards passed the ball into WCS doesn’t mean he has to make a play with the ball, he can always pass the ball back out.

37. Katdaddy
    10:05 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Who fault is it cal that you have to play these guys? You was running around show boating after the chamionship instead of recruiting. You thought you had shabazz in the basket but missed on him and a few others. You put these on floor now take some of the responsibility for these losses. You only take responsibility for wins. Not cool!

38. Mc
    10:31 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

37) lol. Wow.

39. brain
    10:37 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

37-Take a dirt nap.

40. Han
    10:44 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Lunardi still has Ole Miss in ahead of us (unless that update was before their loss).

Georgia game will be huge, especially since they just beat Tennessee.

41. Han
    10:46 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

37) Um, it’s hard to replace 7 of your top 8, no matter how well you recruit. You might have noticed UNC is also playing like crap this year, among others.

Also, while the team as a whole is playing harder, we lost the then #1 draft pick and best shotblocker in the country (yes, I said it Withey) to season ending injury. Florida probably still would’ve beaten us that game, but the Tennessee game, and this one, would’ve been different affairs with Noel in the fold.

42. Big Blue
    11:08 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

It wasn’t just Archie…..in fact, who didn’t suck? This team sucks, and bad. Poor Kyle – so sloooow phyically and mentally. Can’t stomach to watch it anymore. There is always next year! Go Cats!!

43. mashburnfan1
    11:11 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

41} yea the Baylor and Tex A&M games were also different with Nerlens. We have also struggled with several bad teams with Nerlens. This team is just not good for whatever reason.

44. cotton nash
    11:17 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

You are right on #29 !!!!!!! I’m all for Cal,….but he is to blame for early losses when he was determined to play Poy and Harrow when they stunk up the court. Today,…the turnovers were mostly the Nolan Richardson/Pitino hacking and bumping variety with the refs allowing it. Fouls,..every single one of them!!!!! Then they call tiny hand checks by the Cats. And Cal never even complains??? This was the game he should have had techinicals on him and got thrown out. Not the games at home when we got good calls and maybe even breaks. I love Cal,…..but no way the Cats win today with the refs letting the Hogs batter and beat and hold our players all game long. Why didn’t they just allow the Hogs to put a ball and chain on the young Cats,… or put saddles on our players and ride them like horses???? Poor referees!!!! Plain and simple. If they let them do this to our Cats next year,..we’ll lose again in Hogland. A foul is a foul,..unless you are an opposing player in Arkansas. Doug Shows is a poor excuse for a human being,..much less a referee. That’s all.

45. mashburnfan1
    11:24 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Can someone explain why Missouri is projected as a lock and as high as a 7 to 9 seed. Here is their schedule. Blown out by UF and UL. Bad losses to UK, Tex AM, Ole Miss and LSU. Yes they beat VCU early which looks good now but that is it. They are behind us in SEC and we beat them but they are projected as safe and that high a seed. WHY? http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/teams/schedule/MIZZOU/

46. Ls
    11:53 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

People get real we suck we are a tease so come to Nashville and say goodbye to all these guys one last time if we make NCAA we going far out west. Freaking Polson is our PG we have issues

47. Sheeeeeiiit
    2:31 am March 3, 2013 Permalink

5 – Classic Old School
    We lose – posts his drivel
    We Win – sulking in a corner
    We are the defending national champs old school. that alone Proves you don’t have a clue. 4 year players or one and dones. Usually after a NC you can expect a down year. I would love to have a dynasty but winning an NC gives guys the opportunity to go pro who may not have had that exposure otherwise. We are keeping some of these guys for next year. Then we will have a deeper team. I hate losing but guys like old school piss me off more than a down year.

48. TruDat
    4:36 am March 3, 2013 Permalink

It was certainly 40 mins of Hell but had little to do with Ark.

49. Coach K
    5:55 am March 3, 2013 Permalink

Blaming the refs – Classic UK. Trust me, I know a thing or two about it.

50. Not Marc Sigoloff
    8:09 am March 3, 2013 Permalink

Drew, Matt and Gang, you are awesome. I’ve been a Cats Fan since 1965 when I went to my first Rupps Runts game and will continue to be after this season. Championship teams are not a given with the best talent as has been proven in the past. Experience is also a big factor. We should all savor the team from last year. MKG and AD are once in a lifetime players and we had both in the same year.
    This team is struggling, but we should all get behind them and vocally support like the Missouri game. They know when they make a mistake, they have Coach Call to help them with those. We as the BBN should just cheer them on and encourage them to do their best.
    GO CATS!!!!!

51. oldschool
    9:14 am March 3, 2013 Permalink

look at me! of course I’m posting after a loss. I’m a loser. I love losses. Get it? I’m going to masturbate all day thinking about how much I hate this team, our coach and living a life full of so much anger.

52. eastcoastcat
    10:02 am March 3, 2013 Permalink

what (2 said…

53. lou
    11:27 am March 3, 2013 Permalink

No. 1 says it all,,,, “soft”. We simply wilted under the ‘in your shorts’ defense Arkansas played last night. It appeared that we had never practiced for a team playing full court defense for extended periods and we literally wilted…played like scared chickens when they know a hawk is hovering…this team is what it is and we best not get our hopes of of anything beyond a one and done tournament for SEC and/or NCAA/NIT,,

54. J-At
    11:28 am March 3, 2013 Permalink

All of yall complaining about the refereeing last night are spot on! Yes, we played soft, yes the guard play stunk it up, yes Arkansas out hustled and toughed us but if the refs make, even a few, of those blatantly missed calls it sets a precedent that Arkansas can’t get away with that and forces them to have to pull back on the overly physical style of play and play more carefully so as not to foul. That would have opened it up more for our guards and Wiltjer and WCS to attack in the post. I’ve been watching, playing, and coaching basketball for a long time and I’ve learned that in order to have that much success trapping occasional fouling is inevitable and acceptable. It would have been a different game (maybe not a different outcome) if the refs called the game fairly. Don’t get me wrong, we get favorable calls, especially in Rupp, but I’ve never seen such a physical game be called so loosely lopsided. The touch fouls we were getting called for were nothing compared to the mugging Arkansas was handing out. My remote almost went through my TV.

55. maddogmitchell55
    12:15 pm March 3, 2013 Permalink

First, the silver lining. At least UK didn’t completely collapse like they at UT when the going got tough and the crowd got loud. UK’s players could have turtled up and let Arkansas blow their doors off like they did at Tennessee, but they didn’t. They kept fighting. There has been some growth by this team since losing Noel. Clearly, it wasn’t enough last night, but it is better than no growth at all. Is it too little, too late? Who knows? One thing I do know, though, is another 30 point embarrassment would have been too much to handle.

Second, the refs are not the reason why UK lost. Arkansas’ pressure D is what caused UK have a season high in turnovers thus creating a ridiculously lopsided amount of points off of turnovers in favor or Arkansas. This year, UK doesn’t have anyone who can consistently handle that kind of defense. It is what it is. I’m still gonna cheer my guts out for them and hope they can catch fire do some damage in March. Go Cats!

56. 45
    3:16 pm March 3, 2013 Permalink

They also beat Florida and Illinois. And we know how the big 10 love is even though I think the conference is overrated. Plus a few of their losses came when bowers was hurt. So wins against VCU, Florida, and Illinois mean more. I mean, look at nova vs. Alabama. They have nova a few spots ahead when bama beat them by 22 because of their wins.