3 Lingering Thoughts/Questions on World Wide Wes

I’ll be the first to admit that I get a little twinge of anxiety whenever I hear the name “World Wide Wes,” or hear that someone in the media is coming out with an article about him. Why do I feel nervous? I can’t explain it. I have no proof or concrete evidence or logic that justifies my nerves. That’s the thing with World Wide Wes though, there’s never proof, or concrete evidence or logic. For years his name has been thrown around in just about every sports circle imaginable. Coaches have tossed his name around. Media members have taken their swings, attempting to uncover anything at all. Instead, once again, the result is inconclusive at best. Jeff Goodman and CBS took their swing today. They went looking, asking those in the game, even allowing them to remain anonymous– most likely in order to obtain more candid and honest responses. Surely something would come of it, right? Something concrete. Something that sticks. A story. There has to be a story, right? I read the article expecting to learn something–hear something, that I hadn’t heard before. I didn’t expect an end-all clarification, but I thought perhaps the perceived murky waters that World Wide Wes wades in might clear up just a bit. Instead, I am left with the same thoughts/questions I’ve held for a few years now when it comes to World Wide Wes:

1) If there really is a story out there, with everyone looking for it, how has no one been able to find it?

Plenty of questionable characters surrounding the world of college athletics have been nailed for their wrongdoings. None of those guys have had the microscope on them nearly as much as World Wide Wes. People are looking. People are waiting. People are ready for any wrong move, living for the “a-ha! gotcha!” moment. I know people say “World Wide Wes is just smarter than all of the other guys.” Maybe so. But come on? You don’t think there aren’t smart guys out there digging for any morsel of information to uncover the “truth” about World Wide Wes? If there’s really something to him, if there’s really something he is doing that is wrong or illegal or however else you want to label it– HOW HAS NO ONE DISCOVERED IT? I’ve heard speculation, but no one has ever been able to bring him down with anything concrete. If he is so influential, as so many people have credited him for, shouldn’t evidence exist if something is shady about it? And if there is nothing shady about it… why do we focus on him so much?

2) World Wide Wes still makes me nervous

Regardless of the fact that, as pointed out in #1, no one has ever been able to prove anything wrong with an allegiance to World Wide Wes… the presence of the man still makes me nervous. I’m never sure if I want to see him at Kentucky events or not. I’m torn on whether or not I think this is a good thing. Something about the man and the mystery that surrounds him is scary. Call it a fear of the unknown, call it a case of the Thameltoe. It’s obvious the man is powerful. He rolls with the best. He is everywhere. He’s the guy people insert as a joke with photo shop into all of the most famous moments throughout history. Except no one has to actually photo shop Uncle Wes in the pictures. He’s actually there.

3) World Wide Wes could compete with J.K. Rowling if he wanted

If/when World Wide Wes decides to write a tell-all book someday (I don’t care when…literally whenever he wants to), that book will fly off of the shelves. And I will be one of the first to buy it. I mean this with honest sincerity when I say that I have absolutely no idea what I would find between the cover and back of that book– but I know that I would read every single page of it. And I’d be willing to bet you probably would too.

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

21 Comments for 3 Lingering Thoughts/Questions on World Wide Wes

1. Bigblue
    1:07 pm August 9, 2012 Permalink

Keyser Söze

2. alskdjfhg
    1:21 pm August 9, 2012 Permalink

Remember that time WWW got in trouble? The time he did that kid dirty? Remember when he committed all those crimes? He seems like another candidate to get pulled over for not using his turn signal.

I can see why people are worried about him, not Mark Adams, not the Pump Brothers, Wes is public enemy number 1.

3. Enough
    1:24 pm August 9, 2012 Permalink

This guy makes you nervous? But you’re fine and dandy with ol’ Calimari bringing in shady talent every year. C’mon give us a break. ANd if WWW is so “powerful” why doesn’t UK use him to get better football players? Is he a basketball only kinda Godfather?

4. That guy
    1:30 pm August 9, 2012 Permalink

Ally, nice post. I feel the same way about WWW. If there was really something on him then I would expect the media/investigators to find it by now. It is a lot like having major NBA superstars surround our program – may look great to recruits but the media loves chasing down information.

5. Kentucky Gentleman
    1:33 pm August 9, 2012 Permalink

Enough – How does UK bring in shady talent every year? Just because they are more talented than whatever scrubs your school is bringing in does not make them shady. You big dummy.

6. BigBluSoTru
    1:35 pm August 9, 2012 Permalink

William Wesley is the type guy that only gets caught in the end after theres no one else to take the fall
    for him. And it ususally starts with some small fry that gets short changed. And William, treats him like crap and
    crap that small fry then decides to tell certain things william threatens him, small fry doesn’t care and
    then William Wesley is caught and makes deals to keep himself out of trouble then all the coaches and men
    he has helped and paid off are thrown under the bus by this guy. hate to say this it will happen this way.

7. esteban
    1:40 pm August 9, 2012 Permalink

World Wide Wes poops NBA talent

8. Big Blue B-Rad
    1:45 pm August 9, 2012 Permalink

Enough – calling our coach “Calimari,” wow did you spend all night trying to think of that nickname? That’s almost as sad as the Indiana crowd during the pregame in Bloomington, spending the entire time chanting “F#$K Kentucky!” When you don’t have anything better to say, resort to name calling.

9. J.K. Rowling
    1:49 pm August 9, 2012 Permalink

I think you mean he can “compete” with me, not complete. But I disagree, he’s no competition for me.

10. Azubuike's Bicep
    1:50 pm August 9, 2012 Permalink

If it were 2 years ago, I would’ve admitted that he made me nervous. However, after a Final Four and National Championship, if no one has came after him yet, I’m really not that nervous about him anymore.

11. Enough
    1:53 pm August 9, 2012 Permalink

Calimari the squid he is uses his connections and favors from powerful friends to get him good players. Calimari the squid has players talking to agents, taking their SAT for them.. Bledsoe’s transcript was bull**** everybody knows that guy could not spell his own name and Terrence Jones even committed to a team in a press conference and Calimari the squid talk him out of it. what about Anthony Davis dad takin that $$$$$$???

12. Al's IndiCats
    1:55 pm August 9, 2012 Permalink

Wow #3, you are sure to make a lot of money with all that wit you seem to over flow with. I’ll bet my house to your tent that you pitch in the bottom of your granny’s basement that you could only wish they would’ve said something derogitory about WWW and Calipari. Or it could be you’re just jealous that your coach can only recruit kids that are in the high 20s. But there again, no one except Tard fans would root for a skank banger.

13. Enough
    2:07 pm August 9, 2012 Permalink

I’m so tired of Cal winning, all I can do is say he cheats. Otherwise it makes my team look like total losers so I choose to go with the cheating theory. Leave me alone, it helps me sleep at night.

14. Enough
    2:08 pm August 9, 2012 Permalink

oh and I’m a huge calimari fan. Order it at Red Lobster all the time.

15. lol
    2:09 pm August 9, 2012 Permalink

I hope we never really learn what makes William Wesley what he is. Not because I’m worried anymore (it’s been over three years and 15 NBA players have come and gone, surely something would have been dug up by now), but because it makes the tall tales and ghost stories all that more entertaining. He’s a fun character to speculate, and the inferior programs like Indiana and Louisville need their boogie man to blame.

16. The Devil
    2:40 pm August 9, 2012 Permalink

I don’t think World Wide Wes even exists.

17. Keyser Soze
    2:41 pm August 9, 2012 Permalink

I agree.

18. gossie21
    2:55 pm August 9, 2012 Permalink

I have no problem with Wes. None. I’m not even the tiniest bit worried.

19. Big Blue 66
    3:25 pm August 9, 2012 Permalink

its the shoes people….geezzz, do any of you know how the shoe companies cultivate up through the AAU circuits

20. Jane
    6:00 pm August 9, 2012 Permalink

This site with all the BS post sounds like a closet UL site.

21. Pikeville25
    6:20 pm August 9, 2012 Permalink

Another pointless post by a UK website making us look bad for Nooo reason. Is KSR still a fan site? I dunno. Do you know how many coaches WWW is connected with? Tons!