22 years ago today…

Rick Pitino accepted the Kentucky head coaching position.  Pitino left the New York Knicks and, interestingly enough, landed in Lexington with some questions about his past as the Cats started their probation (where were you Forde?).

In the end, the marriage was a success that brought great reward…

…and then for him, also great regret.

Happy Memorial Day.

Article written by Thomas Beisner

23 Comments for 22 years ago today…

1. Yo
    3:35 pm May 30, 2011 Permalink

i refresh this website way too often. first

2. UKrifle>WVUrifle
    3:46 pm May 30, 2011 Permalink

Sweet,

Beisner, not sure if the post was intentional, but all the Ohio State fans ripping us UK fans for years about cheating must now eat a little crow with The Vest falling on his sword.

3. PatPattersonISWalkingThruThatDoor
    3:51 pm May 30, 2011 Permalink

burn in hell, pitino

4. KD
    4:04 pm May 30, 2011 Permalink

#3 SPOKEN LIKE A TRUE bbn fanatic Its’s amazing how Rick somehow still is n the heart of BBN Cal is and never will take Ricks place regardless of what Cal is doing and I hate to say it he won;t win a championship either.

5. Carolina Blue is past tense for CAROLINA BLOWS
    4:04 pm May 30, 2011 Permalink

Where was I 22 years ago? I was either at the Blue Courts shooting “balls deep”. Or was that at my girlfriends house? Can’t remember but had to be one of the two, right?

6. duhville cat
    4:15 pm May 30, 2011 Permalink

#4 Spoken like a true Tard.
    And PUCK FIFTEENO!!!

7. mocha
    4:19 pm May 30, 2011 Permalink

Pitino was even doing the “shocker” back then. What a guy.

8. Harry Beavers
    4:19 pm May 30, 2011 Permalink

Sad to see this man take such a huge tumble from the top of the mountain. You can’t come home again Rick.

9. hawaiibillT
    4:38 pm May 30, 2011 Permalink

There were 8 people involved in the Hawaii scandal besides Pitino. All were either fired or forced to not associate with the program. Athletic director Paul Durham fought it with the NCAA and was later cleared. There are a couple articles somewhere in the Honolulu Advertiser archives where Durham says Pitino lied in order to get the head coach job.

10. Johnson
    5:20 pm May 30, 2011 Permalink

Pitino lied? I’m shocked. Really I’m in disbelief. How do you know Rick is lying? If his lips are flappin in the wind G.

11. KYStout
    5:46 pm May 30, 2011 Permalink

Rick had it all at Kentucky, a dynasty in hid grasp. That 1996 team was the best college team I’ve ever seen play. His leaving eventually set the program back about 5-6 years even with Tubby winning a NC in 1998.

It is astonishing UK has managed to remain the winningest program in NCAA history through it all.

12. SexnNursinHomes
    5:48 pm May 30, 2011 Permalink

3- fist in the air!

Pitino lied, 40,00 died (sperm cells)

13. tyson
    6:13 pm May 30, 2011 Permalink

i really dont get the hatred of rick pitino. yeah, give him hell because he coaches down the road, but the hatred? he left UK to take arguably the best job in the NBA and for 50 MILLION DOLLARS. that didn’t work out, so he took the best job available at the time in college. who wouldnt do different?

14. duhville cat
    6:24 pm May 30, 2011 Permalink

13) He could’ve went anywhere, except an instate archrival. What’s so hard to understand?
    BTW, Sticky Ricky is a backstabbin’, baby killin’, egg suckin’ dog. I’m just sayin.

15. Blasphemy
    6:37 pm May 30, 2011 Permalink

Waiting until October gets harder everyday…..

16. Mudcreekmark
    6:58 pm May 30, 2011 Permalink

I loved Pitino when he was at UK and I’m sure the name callers on here were singing his praise back then too.He brought us back from the dead and took us to the top of all of college basketball where we belong. If Pitino hadn’t taken the job do you think the 90’s would have been so much fun? I don’t think so. How long would have we been down? I don’t know the exact timeline but I guarantee that it would have taken us much longer than it did Tricky Ricky. At that time, he was the best coach is college basketball hands down and by a wide margin. He was the Coach Cal of his day. That being said, his time has came and gone and he will never have that same drive that he did when he walked the sidelines of Rupp.

17. seth
    7:16 pm May 30, 2011 Permalink

just imagine if he never left uk!! we would have ten national titles atleast.

18. Jimmy Buffett
    7:35 pm May 30, 2011 Permalink

19. reedwizard
    9:02 pm May 30, 2011 Permalink

I was at UK from ’91-’96 and around the school ’97-’99. That was the best years of being a fan ever, outside of the 1950’s (but it wasn’t nearly what it is today). I’m am so glad Pitino came here and was crushed when he left. I could reconcile him leaving for the Boston Celtics and 50 Million, but couldn’t understand him going to UL, especially with UCLA or Michigan open just because I did not like Tubby ball and thought he was going to turn UL into a powerhouse and leave UK 2 steps behind. Now that Calipari is here and doing the job he is doing, I feel good about Pitino and his place at UL. I appreciate the fact that he says that leaving UK was a huge mistake, and what better punishment is there to close out your coaching career with the suckass ladybirds? The fact that his ivory tower is laid upon the ground at his feet and we are here (proximity) to witness it is icing on the cake. I can’t wish any more personal tragedy on the guy or his family but will boo loudly when they announce him at UK/UL games. Outside of that, I wish him the best.

20. Issel's two front teeth
    9:23 pm May 30, 2011 Permalink

Yeah, I wish him the best….. set in the house, for the butt whoppin he is about to receive!

21. Issel's two front teeth
    9:24 pm May 30, 2011 Permalink

^seat

22. Issel's two front teeth
    9:25 pm May 30, 2011 Permalink

Boom goes the dynamite!!!

23. JEREMY
    10:55 am May 31, 2011 Permalink

NY Times writing a negative article about a UK coach? Imagine that!! Amazing!