2013 WR recruit DeAngelo Yancey remains committed to Kentucky

Height: 6’2″

Weight: 200 lbs

40 time: 4.5 secs

Vertical: 37 inches

Class: 2013

When a recruit commits to a certain school and a coaching change ensues, it sometimes causes the player re-open their recruiting process. That is not going to be the case for 2013 WR DeAngelo Yancey who committed to Kentucky over UGA, Ole Miss, and Georgia Tech in July. Yancey remains firm in his commitment to the Cats and is excited about the new coaching staff. I recently spoke with Yancey about Kentucky’s new head coach, the prospects of playing in Neal Brown’s Air Raid offense and what current Kentucky players he keeps in contact with the most.

*********************

Are you still committed to UK?

-Yes, I’m still committed.

Have you met with Head coach Mark Stoops or Offensive Coordinator Neal Brown and when did those meeting occur?

-I actually talked to Coach Stoops a couple of weeks ago and I just got off the phone with Coach Brown about ten minutes ago.

What was your overall vibe the first time talking to them?

-They both really got me excited. I can wait to get down there. I can’t wait to get down there in the spread offense that Coach Brown is bringing. I feel like Stoops is going to bring in some good (recruits) and I know he’s very defensive-oriented. I just can’t wait to get down there and play for them.

Did the coaches talk to you on how you would be used in the offense?

-We haven’t really discussed anything like that yet. Coach Brown said that he watched my film and he likes that I’m big and can run, so, anywhere I can get in. Contribute where I can contribute.

Describe what type of receiver you are. Are you a speedster or are you a possession guy?

-I think I’m a little of both. I’ve got good speed and good size and I bring physicality to the field. Above all, I consider myself a playmaker.

What are your favorite routes?

-My favorite routes are comebacks, but I’ll run fades all day.

How excited does it make you to know you are coming to an offense that loves to throw the ball around?

-It’s really a great feeling. When I heard we hired Neal Brown my first reaction was “I’m gonna catch a lot of balls and have a lot of opportunities.”

Kentucky’s special teams unit hasn’t been as productive these past two years as it had been in prior years. The unit can really use all the help it can get. Have you done any punt or kick returning in high school?

-Yeah, I do punt returns. I wanted to do kick returns but coach wouldn’t let me back there. As far as helping at UK, I most definitely think I can help out in that area.

What current UK players have influenced your decision to come to Kentucky the most?

-(Cornerback) Marcus Caffey. I know him back from Atlanta. He went to Grady. I’ve also talked to other commits. (Tight End) Darren Dowdell he goes to Grady, too. We workout together every Tuesday and Thursday.

**********************

Appreciate the interview, DeAngelo. Watch him work… to one of my favorites Kanye West’s “Power”.

**UPDATE**

Here’s a link to Yancey’s Senior FilmThe kid is a beast!

Article written by Rashawn Franklin

34 Comments for 2013 WR recruit DeAngelo Yancey remains committed to Kentucky

1. Coach Hal
    8:13 pm December 19, 2012 Permalink

Not sure we want a kid with a 40 time of 4.5 at wide out. There are line man that can run faster than that. This kid is slow.

2. Big Blue 66
    8:18 pm December 19, 2012 Permalink

biggest difference I see with Stoops and the gang, is they realize what it takes to be successful, the energy, the sense of urgency and hard work.

3. Big Blue 66
    8:19 pm December 19, 2012 Permalink

1. there arent NFL lineman running 4.5 dude.

4. Strait cash homie
    8:19 pm December 19, 2012 Permalink

It looks like the days of Recruiting against the MAC schools are over. Stoops seems to be serious about recruiting and winning! Just hope people won’t see the players we got this week and think we are going to be great next year. Football is a lot different then basketball. UK is in a position were we are going to need Freshmen to step in and play from day 1. That’s not good in football. I think if Stoops wins5 games next year he will be coach of the year in the SEC.
    Hopefully one day Stoops will have is to the point where we can redshirt these kind of kids their first year. When that happens you can start expecting great teams but not untill. Hopefully recruiting MAC kids are over. It’s OK to see a kid who isn’t highly rated and think he is a hidden gem like Woodyard, Tammie, and Cobb but you can’t make up a team of those type like Joker was tring to. You have to have some Stud players to win in the SEC.

5. Jpo
    8:22 pm December 19, 2012 Permalink

1. Not sure if serious…

6. Strait cash homie
    8:28 pm December 19, 2012 Permalink

#1 man you need to look at the 40 times of a lot of NFL guys. Yes most speed guys are 4.3 4.4 guys, but most WR are 4.4or4.5. 4.5 is good enough for a big guy if he is that fast in pads. 4.5 is about average for SEC WR. Somebody correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think Cobb was faster then this guy.
    Hope you where being sarcastic about Linemen running 4.5. 4.7 is fast for a big guy. I think you have seen the times of some elite fast guys time and got confused. There isn’t to many people walking god green earth who run a 4.3. Most of them play corner in the NFL. I think the fasts combine time ever ran was 4.2 by Prime time I think could be wrong on the player.

7. Ouch
    8:29 pm December 19, 2012 Permalink

I like the chic in the bas idea t-shirt ad, I think it’s a great idea to put her on here!!!
    GO CATS !!!

8. Good one
    8:35 pm December 19, 2012 Permalink

This is a guy Joker got? He looks great and should flourish under Brown. The QB looked pretty good to me ass well. If the new coaches can re teach our current players and the new guys to play we may win a few games next year. Also Matt I appreciate the football stories. Kudos to you and your staff.

9. Strait cash homie
    8:38 pm December 19, 2012 Permalink

Where can I go to and find a list of our current commited players. That will show who else was recruiting them. I want to see how many of Jokers kids where re ruined by other SEC teams because other then this kid the rest I’ve seen where only recruited by mid majors or if a SEC team was involved it would be a team like Ole miss. Vandy wouldn’t even recruit the kids Joker was, that might be why they ate so far ahead of us now.
    I’ll never forget Brooks on his final call in show saying he was happy with the program because he finally had it to the point where he could redshirt all but a handfull of the freshmen. The freshmen he played where the elite but the rest could gain strength and not lose a year.

10. Strait cash homie
    8:48 pm December 19, 2012 Permalink

#8 Joker hired Woodyards high school coach and he was the one who had the Georgia pipeline some speak of. Joker and his staff actually could get some good players from GA because of this. Jokers only problem was the other 49 states. Out of Jokers staff only 2 from my point of view had success. Chuck Smith did a great job with the LB’s. He put several in the pros and always was the bright spot of the D. Pardee was Woodyards high school coach he did a good job recruiting GA but he wasn’t on the staff very long. Some liked coach Summers but I thought our OL was huge disappointment under him. every QB who played got hurt. How many times did you see our backs getting hit in the backfield. To me Higgins had our OL being the strength of our team and at one point was being called OL U by Brooks funny how he was the first person fired by Joker bet he wishes he could take that back.

11. jshag
    8:51 pm December 19, 2012 Permalink

Another moronic UK football fan! We don’t wideouts with 4.5 speed because theyre too slow? Please don’t comment on anything football related.

12. Kneel
    8:59 pm December 19, 2012 Permalink

If Demarcus Cousins and LeBron had a baby….he’d be it.

13. Shelbyjoe
    9:00 pm December 19, 2012 Permalink

Brown’s offense has gotta be VERY attractive to players on that side of the ball, even offensive linemen

14. TravisC
    9:02 pm December 19, 2012 Permalink

Of the 47 Wide Receivers at the 2012 NFL Draft Combine, only 17 ran a 4.5 or better. http://www.nfl.com/combine/tracker

15. Rixter
    9:03 pm December 19, 2012 Permalink

That’s like buying a ticket in coach, finding out you’ve been upgraded to first class, and being asked if you’re still committed to this flight.

16. Joe
    9:04 pm December 19, 2012 Permalink

OBVIOUSLY, this guy can’t be that good, he wanted to come to UK. We should only recruit players, who absolutely refuse to come here!

Now Bobby Petrino coudda recruited this kid and I’d ahve been happy, but UNLESS Bobby P. recruits you, we don’t want you….

BTW, fire Cal.
    /S

17. Joe
    9:05 pm December 19, 2012 Permalink

Were any of them UK players? If not I rest 1.’s case for them…..

18. Joe
    9:10 pm December 19, 2012 Permalink

I’m a little bitch. I suck dick all the time. Ksr blows and matt jones is a liberal baby.

19. The Joke is over finally
    9:12 pm December 19, 2012 Permalink

I went to Catsillistrated and looked at the kids they had listed as committed to UK, all listed where from Jokers staff they haven’t updated Stoops players yet. Out of the 14 listed on that site 7 had 0 interest from other SEC schools,0 none! 4 only had interest from only UK, Missippi, or Missou that was it no other SEC schools had interest not exactly to schools you should be battling with if your goal is to be in the top tier of the SEC east! The kid in this post had interested only from UGA, and GT because he was from instate he might be good but the list of interested schools wasn’t very impressive as a whole! We had a grand total of 2 kids who had serious interst from other top flight SEC schools.
    That is why Joker won 2 games and got fired I’ve heard some say Joker could recruit but not develope players BS. We are not going to beat BAMA or FLORDIA head up for recruits. We all know that but we must get our share of kids who have interst from other SEC teams. 2 just isn’t going to cut it! Stoops has as many high level recruits commited to UK in 2 weeks as Joker did for the whole damn year.

20. catlanta
    9:18 pm December 19, 2012 Permalink

I wish Alex had Montrezl Harrell’s motor. He would be unreal.

21. The Joke is over finally
    9:18 pm December 19, 2012 Permalink

#15) really any offensive player who signed with Joker is going to be trilled to get to play in this offence the only ones who don’t come are the ones who just are not good enough to play in the SEC wihich is a couple. Or maybe a defensive player who doesn’t fit into thos style of D. Even then if they committed to play for Minter it would be like hitting the lottery to get to play in Stoops’ D.

22. Badams
    9:29 pm December 19, 2012 Permalink

Uh obviously he is a good recruit if Georgia wanted him. You need physical receivers, not just fast receivers and he seems to fit that mold. He will fit in nicely.

23. I Say
    9:31 pm December 19, 2012 Permalink

#6 Bo Jackson ran the fastest 40 time ever, 4.12

24. dave
    9:38 pm December 19, 2012 Permalink

espn & scout both has his 40 at 4.59
    espn 110th WR & rated a 76
    scout 140th WR

25. dave
    9:40 pm December 19, 2012 Permalink

and both say his only other bcs offers were from ole miss, nc state & wake.

26. chardun
    9:57 pm December 19, 2012 Permalink

19, No disrespect, why are you still talking about Joker? He’s gone, move on.

27. Strait cash homie
    10:25 pm December 19, 2012 Permalink

23) I knew I had seen it on TV recently just forgot who it was, thank you,
    I think Deion Sanders supposedly was supposed to run a 4.3 in sand barefooted.ThatI might or might not be true, but that is what he was saying on TV once. Anyway I know he was awfully damn fast too.
    Bo Jackson was by far the best athlete I’ve ever seen. It’s almost inhuman to ge that big and fast. He snapped a baseball bat over his leg like it was a tooth pick, then did the Samething with a bat over his head. Unbelievable. What he could have been.

28. Strait cash homie
    10:36 pm December 19, 2012 Permalink

No disrespect taken this is the comment section of a sports blog to voice opinions to use to feel disrespected because someone has a different opinion, but thinks for being considerate. Your right Joker is gone and I do need to move on, but my point is a lot of people think just because we have a new coach we should go to a bowl game everything is fixed like it was when Cal took over the basketball team!
    I think that is going to do 2 things1) they will not give Stoops a fair shot and be wanting to fire after 2 years if Uk isn’t in a bowl game or 2) they will be disappointed next year if the football team wins 5 games. Even though Jokers is gone its going to take at least 3 years to get Stoop’s players in. Joker is gone but his players remain and most just aren’t good enough to be SEC starters

29. The Joke is over
    10:41 pm December 19, 2012 Permalink

#25 this is the type of kid to recruit when looking for the hidden gem. Other then his home state schools not to many BCS schools where recruiting him. He does have size, and speed no matter what #1 thinks and by this video he has talent. Not the kids who have 0 BCS schools looking at them. Best I can remember this looks about how Randle Cobbs recruiting page looked.

30. dave
    11:03 pm December 19, 2012 Permalink

29- not hating on the kid.
    but i do think it’s (at best) misleading to state hes a WR who runs a 4.5 & has offers from UGA & GT when everyone else says hes a WR who runs a 4.6 and has offers from ole miss & nc state.
    may be rashawn is the only one with the correct info though….

31. VincentMo
    11:49 pm December 19, 2012 Permalink

He has John Wall Eyes.. He will produce.

32. asdf
    8:27 am December 20, 2012 Permalink

Cobb was relatively slow in the 40, and that was one of the concerns about him. What he had, though was tremendous lateral quickness, making him unusually evasive in the open field.

33. georgia blue
    9:03 am December 20, 2012 Permalink

JERRY RICE ran a 4.7 at the NFL COMBINE and was passed up by a lot of NFL TEAM because they said he was too slow. Plus he came from a HBCU SCHOOL. I saw Darrly Green chase down a lot of so called fast RB and WR but he couldn’t catch Jerry. You see Jerry had football speed and Randall has football speed. Football and Track Speed are two different type of speed. Playing football you want a player to have football speed not track speed. Plus you don’t have too have offers from BCS schools to compete with BCS schools.This year you saw a lot of school in the SEC, ACC BIG 10 and etc. lose to schools from the MAC and Sun Belt. Colleges succeed because of coaching. That’s why you had a lot Coaches from smaller schools get hired at your BCS SCHOOLS

34. theWilkman