2013 G Ramsey Meyers meets with Schlarman, remains committed to UK

Two of the biggest personnel holes next year’s Kentucky team will have to fill is the loss of arguably the best center/guard tandems in Wildcat history. G Larry Warford and C Matt Smith had great careers in Lexington but now set their sights on the bright lights of the NFL. With their departure, the starting five as well as depth behind them is now a concern, which is why retaining the commitment of 2013 G Ramsey Meyers is so important. Earlier today, I spoke with Meyers before he headed to a meeting with new Kentucky offensive line coach John Schlarman. Here’s what he told me:

********************

Does the coaching change at Kentucky change your commitment at all?

-No, sir. I’m still committed to Kentucky.

Have you spoken with Coach Stoops?

-Yes, sir. I’ve talked to him on the phone a couple of times. He sounds like he’s really looking forward to coaching at Kentucky. All the coaches seem like they are looking forward to a good season. It’s a real exciting time.

Have you guys talked about how they plan to use you in the offense? Have you played any center in your career?

-We’ve mostly talked about playing me at guard. I haven’t played center before but it’d be something I’d be willing to learn if need be.

What guys on the current roster were most influential to getting you to UK?

-I’d say Larry Warford. Being a guard and seeing the type of success he’s had is a great thing to see.

****************

Couldn’t embed it, but to look at Meyers’ highlights, click here He pancakes a guy on almost every play, it’s awesome.

Article written by Rashawn Franklin

19 Comments for 2013 G Ramsey Meyers meets with Schlarman, remains committed to UK

1. Jeff Garlin
    10:35 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

Looks like he has a beer gut!

2. Ukalum
    10:37 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

Can we get a post that lays out all the new position coaches? Because it doesn’t appear that uk has made any of them official except OC, DC, & O-line coach.

3. Wow
    10:51 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

He has a belly like Matt Jones.

4. mike
    11:01 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

Oh thank god we kept the kid with 32% body fat Stoops is really stepping his game up

5. Ouch
    11:04 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

He has abelly like most guys posting on here for sure, but I’m 50 and not allowed to play in the SEC!!! Coach will work it off him and add 30 more!!

6. Scout
    11:23 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

So you really think Matt Smith will play in the league? I can see King making it to the league though. Hopefully Max Smith or Towles can follow Larry to the league.

7. Suggestion box
    11:59 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

When KSR makes post like these, you need to make it a rule to put simple stats like weight, ht., star rating, etc… Keeps folks from having to google it on their own later. It’s the little things…

8. The dude
    12:02 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

#4 really? Do you know anything about football or cutting weight? If you have the choice between a fat guy or a slim guy from high school lineman. You take the heavy guy every time. It’s a lot easier to cut 30lbs. Then it is to gain it with muscle. Plus when you try to go up in weight you can lose speed and agillity. Looks like its so late in the season Stoops will have to take most of Jokers recruits and try to develope them. For all those who talked about how great of a recruiter Joker was I haven’t heard of any of them following him to FL? I have heard some in state recruits who are 4 and 5 stars talking to UK since Stoops came.

9. Mike
    2:36 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

@8 just go look at the OL commites to other SEC schools and they look like athleets this kid just doesnt I hope he does big things but we just arent getting any diffrent athleets than UK always gets.

10. will
    6:52 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

This kid was offered by former OL coach Larry Summers who everyone in the coaching business trusts has an eye for talent. If Summers wanted the kid, I’m sure he’ll be a contributor for us a few years down the line after a redshirt season that adds muscle and agility. He’s pancaking good competition in FL. We also need a Center on this team, especially if we sign a two year JUCO this class as I suspect we’ll have to.

11. derek
    7:30 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

Not really exciting to see Jokers commits staying with the program unless it is just to fill gaps. Who did we beat out to get this one?

12. Diaper Fillers
    8:08 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

WTH is wrong with Stoops? The guy has been here two weeks and he hasn’t landed a top 5 class yet? He sucks! Why didn’t we just keep Joker? Better yet, tell Stoops to poll the fans so we can tell him who to recruit. WE have done our research and know how to spot talent. If he listens to us, we will have the #1 class every year.

13. Diaper Fillers
    8:10 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

Besides…Offensive linemen with a gut can’t be any good. Like this guy who is All Pro from the Saints…http://www.neworleanssaints.com/team/roster/jahri-evans/d81b1d30-1d4d-4fab-aeec-7a83fa05d27c/

14. Steve
    9:11 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

We have the dumbest football fans in the country. Our O-Line recruit has a gut so he’s no good? He prolly worked hard on the gut and now has a D1 scholarship morons.

None of Jokers recruits followed him to Florida so he wasn’t a good recruiter? Yeah dumbass, I’m shocked that Florida who gets mainly 4 and 5 star recruits from their own state isn’t taking these guys.

Please only comment on basketball related topics since you don’t have sense enough to not trash our commited recruits.

15. Jon O
    9:26 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

Did anyone actually watch the video of this kid??? He’s an olineman guys, most of them have guts… Nate Newton? Andre Smith? Larry Warford? Watched the first minute of his highlight film, that’s all I needed to see to know this kid is a SEC calibar player. if this kid stays healthy, he will be a great player at UK. Notice in the film he never stops moving his feet, even after contact.. literally drive blocks players into the ground – awesome feet. Looks like he is very agressive too with great strength. Also, he players HS football in FL, i would assume he’s playing against good players. So make fun of him since he has a gut and assume he’s not the quality of player we need to go after… uuuh. Keep up the negativity guys… geeeeez.

16. Lunchtime
    11:54 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

Hey, morons, please get your heads out of the bball rim before making stupid comments about football players or the football team or football in general. And does anybody know how Shaq Love is doing? He looked like a beast from his high school pics and I know he redshirted but haven’t heard anything since.

17. Derek
    3:38 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

Here is my point you to you guys that think you know all about football. We beat out Alabama St, Florida Atlantic, UAB, UCF and Georgia St for this guy. Thats is a typical Joker recruit. I understand it takes time for Stoops and we will have to take kids like this until he gets going but as long as UK continues to only attract a MAJORITY of players like this we will go 2-10! I understand there exceptions to this rule that turn out great but lets try to do better and not have to gamble on so many players. As a UK fan I hope he is the exception. Big kid…6’3″ and 290…looks like he does have good feet.

18. Jon O
    4:08 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

If this kid waited to make a college choice until the end of his senior year, he would have gotten offers from SEC schools. I am all for going after 4 and 5 star players, but there are only so many with that rating. UK snatched this kid up before before other schools went after him, since other schools are waiting to see what better rated players are going to do.

19. Keep Coach Rock
    6:01 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

#17) I agree with that 100%. I do think we have to give Stoops a pass this year because it to late in the game for him to really have much of a impact. I’ve always said on here to look at th other schools recruiting these kids. I feel that is a better gauge of the player your getting. If you see other SEC schools on the list the kid can probably play if it’s all MAC schools well. I find it hard that all the other SEC schools should miss on a kid. I get finding a gem that every body missed like Cobb. You just can’t have a whole team of them.