2 of the best parts about being a fan (and winning) are missing

When it comes to sports, winning can cure, disguise and make up for a lot of shortcomings. When the wins are rolling in, everyone is happy. A coach’s faults can be overlooked when his team is consistently winning. Just ask anyone who has ever considered hiring or has hired Bobby Petrino. A coach can be the most likeable human being in the world, but if he can’t produce in the results category, his job is in jeopardy. If unhappiness and unrest among the fans is a major problem, the most reliable and trusted medicine is a steady dose of winning.

Kentucky’s football team sits at 1-5 on the season. Winning has clearly been a missing part of the equation for Kentucky football fans this season. That much we can all agree upon. What else has been missing though? Winning aside, (which is obviously one of the best parts about being a fan of a team at any level, in any sport) for Kentucky football fans, at least 2 (I have no doubt a larger list could be compiled) of the other best parts about being a fan have been non-existent this season.

1. A sense of camaraderie/unity among fans

Perhaps one of the most disheartening and painful parts about being a Kentucky football fan this season has been the inability for the fan base to agree upon anything. Everyone has an opinion, most of which are fairly passionate to say the least, but the problem is the opinions are on such opposite ends of the spectrum that it’s hard to see eye to eye and feel any sense of unity. And the really wild part is that the fan base is not split down the middle in simply two directions. It’s not black and white; it’s not yes and no. The splits and cracks are running in multiple directions. Some people want a new coach. Some people believe Joker Phillips deserves more time. Some people who can agree that we need a new coach, can’t agree on who the new coach should be. Some people think the issues surrounding UK football can be fixed with more financial support. Others think that the cards are stacked too high against success due to in-state talent and the elite level of other historically great SEC programs. Some fans think the solution is not showing up to games and not buying season tickets. Others think the team and players deserve support no matter what the circumstances. Some people think the media should be more supportive of the program/coaches and attempt to rally the fan base. Others think the media should be more critical of the program/coaches. If you don’t believe the fan base is flooded with opposing opinions and is currently torn in different directions, just read our comment section, listen to call-in shows or pick up the thing my neighbor’s dog pisses on and you can find the evidence for yourself. No one agrees on much of anything.

One of the most incredible parts about being a fan of a team is the bond you feel with fellow fans. When you see a fan wearing a blue Kentucky basketball shirt, you can throw them a 3 goggle and just know that you are both currently bursting with pride and passion for your team. You don’t have to worry about whether or not they think John Calipari should be the coach or whether or not things are going well for the program. If you see a fellow Kentucky football fan right now, often times the first interaction is not a sense of unity, but rather a list of questions and a spewing of opinions about where to go from here.

2Signature beloved and/or recognizable player

Randall Cobb. Jared Lorenzen. Danny Trevathan. Tim Couch. Those are just a few of the names that I think fall into the category of beloved/recognizable players who have worn the Kentucky uniform. Those 4 guys weren’t always on the most successful Kentucky football teams. With that said, they were often the focal point of fans’ attention. They were, for lack of a better term, the “signature players” for their teams. Last year, even though Kentucky didn’t make a bowl game and had a mediocre season, Danny Trevathan was a bright spot and probably the most well-known player on the roster.

This season we just haven’t had that player. And anytime it feels like we might be finding one, he gets hurt. Max Smith was the bright spot of the first few games, something for fans to potentially hang their hat on. Then he went down. Aaron Boyd made some believers with a career game against Kent State. Then Boyd disappeared. Patrick Towles provided a glimmer of hope– though we can’t be sure it would have been sustained– for such a role in his short-lived performance on Saturday. I think that nearly every Kentucky fan hopes that at some point, whether it’s now or in the future, Towles can be that type of signature player for Kentucky. Once again, a glimmer was given– and then Towles went down.

This team simply lacks an identity, and certainly lacks an extremely identifiable player. Sure, there are plenty of talented youngsters on the team, but whether it’s injuries, inconsistency, or coaching decisions– no single player has stood out for fans to rally around in a way that they once rallied around guys like Cobb, Couch, Lorenzen and Trevathan. It’s fun to have that type of player, who fills that type of role. Just ask Redskins fans about RGIII. We just don’t have that this season…at least not yet.

Let me make it clear that I am not blaming any of this on Kentucky football fans. I hate it for everyone (myself included) that we are all missing out on 2 of the best parts about being a fan. Simply winning could go a long, long way to cure either of these woes.

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

19 Comments for 2 of the best parts about being a fan (and winning) are missing

1. Head Bussa
    6:04 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

Regarding if we need a new coach, it pretty much is a yes or no difference between fans. Most fans say hell yes and a few donkeys say no.

2. Head Bussa
    6:06 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

We may disagree on what direction to go after Joker is gone, but I personally do not know any UK football fans that say Joker should stay. I know they are out there because I hear ’em on the show, but I don’t know any of those people myself.

3. BBN
    6:13 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

Every UK fan wants joker gone – the people on here and the radio that say joker should are NOT UK fans, they’re uofl, Western, or SEC fans.

Hell, even joker knows he’s in over his head (at least I hope he’s smart enough to recognize that).

4. WhatsUrExcuse
    6:16 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

Speaking of a lack of identity, if Whitlow goes down and Newton goes down, who is next on the depth chart??

5. Bleaker
    6:26 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

According to ksr college, only current students are allowed to be passionate fans. Otherwise, you are a creep.

6. JRupp
    6:30 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

“It’s fun to have good players.” Great insight! Keep. It. Up.

7. HicksPickSix
    6:36 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

*cough* *cough* puff piece *cough* *cough* no insight *cough* *cough*

8. catfandan
    6:57 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

I am sad. I live in Indy now and can’t watch the cayats on TV very much. I have to listen to IU fans say they are netter now than my boys. I have no retort. This sux. Please give me basketball soon so i can raise my head.

9. wow
    6:59 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

Best post ever!!!! I loved it so much that I read it 22 times!!!! How do you come up with such great articles?

10. Flip
    7:00 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

Can we just hire Petrino and start winning.

11. Mitch Barnfart
    7:04 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

You microwave fans need to shut up and just keep supporting my man Joker. Gosh dern it’s hard to win in the SEC and we have lots of guys hurt so we are building for the future and shoot the economy is down so attendance is down just a bit but I’m getting by just fine on my 600k a year. Thanks fellas and we’ll see you at the Swimming meet this afternoon. RISE!!!!!!!!

12. UK Homer
    7:26 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

You’re spot on, though hopefully fixing one will lead to all getting better. Don’t listen to the trolls. True fans see blue and root hard for their team no matter what. Those who are lacking something in their personal lives will lash out at Joker and Mitch with no remorse. In my opinion, if you cannot stand something to the extent that you choose to root against it (ex: fans rooting against Joker/UK), then you probably need to take a step back and realize you’re not a fan. If you’re not Blue & White when the team needs you most, then go root for someone else.

13. Big Whoop
    7:31 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

What has KSR become? The Glee Club?

There are three things missing in Kentucky Football. 1) Winning. 2)Talent and 3) any semblence of commitment from the University. The UK Admin has shown that they could care less about UK football.

14. West Ky. football fan
    8:09 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

I think you’ve over-thought this. The main point of being a fan is to have some level of enjoyment.
    Yes, winning does cure a lot of ills, but sometimes even a strong, well-coached team loses.
    The lack of coaching ability by the current staff not only insures that wins are going to be few and far between, but the staff’s general lack of football knowledge has sucked what little bit of enjoyment could still be derived from UK football right out of Commonwealth Stadium. UK’s not even a joke anymore, it’s a complete farce.
    We’re UK football fans. We can take losing (to a point). But in the past we always had at least some faint hope, a little something to get us fired up each week (even though, deep down, we knew we were probably going to be disappointed yet again).
    Thanks to Joker, even that’s gone now.
    As a UK football fan, I would rather disband the program altogether than to continue to watch Joker and Barnhart dump all over it.

15. JR
    10:38 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

Even though he wasnt a big name at the time, but showed up at big moments. “Stevie got loose”. He still supports UK. Should add him to recognizable players.

16. carnifex
    11:08 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

KSR writer getting all defensive up in here. Let me make it clear that I am not blaming any of this on Kentucky football fans. That you feel compelled to write this statement means you take criticism too personally. You’re a writer, and are going to get criticized by people that don’t like what you write. Better learn to get over it, or a new line of work. Just sayin’.

Regardless, it’s hard to fill column inches when you’re only allowed to pump sunshine instead of report the facts as they are. Good luck with that.

o make your life easier, here are some story suggestions to employ that are puff pieces that are actually informative…
    1)Every team has a player who has suffered some personal tragedy that he has overcome to play sports. Interview that player.
    2)Access Coach (insert name here). Just go along for a position coach for his day.
    3)Team visits (insert charity here).
    4)Eat like footballer…menus and amounts from the training table (ala man vs. food)
    5)Access Player(insert name here). Just tag along for a player for a day.(hint: the player should be charismatic. If you don’t know what charismatic means, you need to get a new line of work).

I’ll expect my usual stipend in the mail.(hint: if you don’t know what stipend means, you need to get a new line of work)

Ps.

Stipend is used incorrectly. (hint: if you didn’t know that, yadda yadda yadda.)

17. UK Homer
    11:58 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

Oh yeah…PLEASE tell me that Cobb picture has had a caption contest before. Might as well… Cobb: “(singing) I believe I can fly” UGA defender: “$&@$$&!”

18. theWilkman
    9:54 am October 10, 2012 Permalink

Here’s what’s missing: any semblance of a Division I football team