Skip to content

Kentucky Sports Radio

University of Kentucky Basketball, Football, and Recruiting news brought to you in the most ridiculous manner possible.

Not Jerry Tipton’s Friday Basketball Notebook

tipton2

The 2012-13 season is mercifully over, and despite having the #1 ranked recruiting class in the country, Kentucky failed to make the NCAA Tournament, and were unceremoniously dispatched in the First Round of the NIT by Robert Morris. Hard to see things being any different in 2013-14. To stay apprised and educated, follow me on Twitter @NotJerryTipton. Here’s the weekly notebook:

*Stuck In A Moment You Can’t Get Out Of: On Tuesday, 5 star prospect Jahlil Okafor tweeted that he is visiting the University of Kentucky on September 9. This is a bad sign. He had previously announced that he would be attending Big Blue Madness on October 18, but apparently he had a change of heart. So instead, he’ll visit on a Monday night, which is probably the least eventful night on any college campus. In fact, there is so little to do in Lexington on this particular Monday night that Okafor will be taken to see an “Alumni game,” which is a contest between a bunch of players who don’t even play for Kentucky anymore. And it gets worse. In this particular instance, most of the players aren’t even from the state of Kentucky. Instead, they are from places like Chicago, New Jersey, North Carolina, Alabama and West Virginia. Of course, this assumes that these guys even agree to show up, which none of them has promised me they will do. What John Calipari has apparently forgotten is that what matters most to young recruits nowadays is the on-campus experience. No wonder Duke is the perceived leader for Okafor’s services. Who wants to go watch a bunch of ex-players trudge up down the court when you can surround yourself with unattractive Northerners chanting contrived cheers and sporting blue face paint?

*Mysterious Ways: The NCAA has yet to clear incoming Kentucky freshmen James Young and the Harrison twins. Given the late date, it is pretty clear at this point that all three players will be forced to sit out the entire 2013-14 season. Usually, the NCAA acts quickly, decisively and fairly. If one remembers, the NCAA cleared Duke roughly 30 seconds after allegations arose that former standout Lance Thomas walked into a New York City jewelry store with $30,000 cash in his pocket, and walked out with $100,000 of jewelry, even though it was never explained where or how Thomas got the cash or the $70,000 of credit. Likewise, the NCAA excused North Carolina from any wrongdoing even though it was proven that they had been engaging in widespread academic fraud for years, and that they had been routinely and generously handing out fake degrees to UNC players like so much Halloween candy. At this point, as far as UK is concerned, no news is awful news. As evidenced above, the NCAA rarely gets it wrong, and when it does, so what.

*I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For: On Monday, 5 star point guard Emmanuel Mudiay announced he has cut his list to five schools: Kentucky, Kansas, SMU, Baylor and Oklahoma State. This does not bode well for Kentucky. You don’t need to be Stephen Hawking to figure out that this only gives UK a 20% chance of landing the superstar. Meanwhile, each of the other schools has an 80% chance (collectively). Most Big Blue fans probably don’t need to be reminded that the Cats’ chances of landing Shabazz Muhammad were significantly higher than that (50%), as were their chances of getting Andrew Wiggins (25%). And both of those players picked against UK before the disaster that was the 2012-13 season (not including Wiggins). Mudiay was perceived to be a lock for UK before this bombshell dropped, so it will be interesting to see if Calipari alters his recruiting strategy of going out and getting the best players in the country.

* On this date: On this date in 2009, Pete Thamel and Pat Forde were doing the Lord’s work by digging through dumpsters and knocking on doors in Birmingham, tirelessly working to prove that a high school student had possibly taken a class out of order.

Article written by Not Jerry Tipton

18 Comments for Not Jerry Tipton’s Friday Basketball Notebook



  1. Butch jones
    12:06 pm August 9, 2013 Permalink

    Thanks for posting my ad on your site ..Matt jones ….GO VOLS ..(smh)



  2. Linda Taylor
    12:08 pm August 9, 2013 Permalink

    U2



  3. RahRah
    12:15 pm August 9, 2013 Permalink

    Usually, the NCAA acts quickly, decisively and fairly.
    ——————————————————–
    Seriously, made me laugh out loud. And dumpster digging. hahaha



  4. KEVIN BURTON
    12:24 pm August 9, 2013 Permalink

    Seriously why does this site continue to post his garbage????



  5. ugh...
    12:27 pm August 9, 2013 Permalink

    no podcast today…new guy.



  6. JDH
    12:31 pm August 9, 2013 Permalink

    This may be the best NJT yet.



  7. KC
    12:55 pm August 9, 2013 Permalink

    I see that Matt had the comments turned off in the WKYT post. I wonder
    if that has to do with comments about his feet. Just kidding Matt.



  8. yeahright
    12:57 pm August 9, 2013 Permalink

    Probably my favorite Not Jerry Tipton Notebook yet.



  9. NO MATT JONES
    1:12 pm August 9, 2013 Permalink

    Kevin Burton must be new.



  10. ToTheWindowToTheCal
    1:36 pm August 9, 2013 Permalink

    “this only gives UK a 20% chance of landing the superstar. Meanwhile, each of the other schools has an 80% chance (collectively). ” Pure gold as always. I agree w/ 6, the best one in a while if not best ever.



  11. Bobbum man
    2:08 pm August 9, 2013 Permalink

    Gold Jerry, Gold!



  12. I Say
    2:19 pm August 9, 2013 Permalink

    Who are the players from New Jersey and West Virginia? I thought Doron was from New York…Whoops just remembered P-Pat is from West Virginia.



  13. adolph oliver bush
    2:52 pm August 9, 2013 Permalink

    So when exactly can a person say that sarcasm has been completely driven into the ground? When someone finds out, let NJT know he’s at least a year late. Seriously, it was funny the first 50 times, but I guess some people will laugh at a knock-knock joke no matter how many times you knock…..



  14. Not Jerry Tipton
    3:15 pm August 9, 2013 Permalink

    Knock knock.

    Who’s there?

    adolph oliver bush.

    adolph oliver bush who?

    adolph oliver bush just expended time and energy reading something he didn’t want to, after which he expended even more time and energy complaining about what he just voluntarily read, which leads one to the conclusion that adolph oliver bush really isn’t very bright.



  15. adolph oliver bush
    3:27 pm August 9, 2013 Permalink

    Didn’t read it buddy, don’t have to. Sorry to offend your obviously superior intellect. Evidently you’re still impressed by knock-knock jokes. I’m sure when I’m 10 I’ll reach your level



  16. CPACAT
    4:10 pm August 9, 2013 Permalink

    “adolph oliver bush” wow, somebody feed that boy!



  17. Lance Thomas
    7:57 pm August 9, 2013 Permalink

    Excuse me…. I played for Duke



  18. Dee W.
    1:21 pm August 10, 2013 Permalink

    One of the best ones yet – keep them coming!

    15 – so you are commenting about how you don’t like something you didn’t even read – then returning to the article you didn’t read to read comments in response to your comments about the article you didn’t read and make more comments about the comments on the article you didn’t read. Makes sense.

    The satire is commentary about different topics each week – so it is not the “same knock knock” joke every week.