A look back at our favorite memories from 2012…
100. Alex Poythress flashed a UK t-shirt at graduation
It’s one of the best images of the year. A future Wildcat representing #BBN after receiving his high school diploma.
99. Steven Duff’s belly flop at UK football pool day
One play from UK football made SportsCenter’s Top 10 in 2012…
98. Julius Mays carried an injured Archie Goodwin
Just being his brother’s keeper.
97. Joel Pett draws anti-UK cartoons
The Herald-Leader’s political cartoonist enjoyed taking jabs at Kentucky through his drawings. The 40-50 people who still subscribe to the Herald-Leader were pissed.
96. LSU’s Malcolm White tried to kill Anthony Davis
Davis was tested physically at LSU. He responded by scoring 16 points and grabbing 10 rebounds.
95. Eric “Quiggy Smalls” Quigley ended career with NCAA runner-up finish
What’s a Top 100 countdown without tennis?
94. Big Blue Nation invaded Walk-Ons in New Orleans for KSR’s pre-championship show
Fans were lined up around the corner for Monday’s show before the title game.
93. Rick Bozich shouted during KSTV taping
Paula Dean’s baby bro intentionally interrupted a KSTV interview at the Superdome with a loud scream.
And we’re the immature ones.
92. The emo Georgia fan
The painting was a gift, Todd.
91. Andrew Wiggins vs. Julius Randle at Peach Jam
Wiggins got the best of Randle, barely, in a battle of Big Blue Nation’s favorite UK targets in the class of 2013.
90. Foot stabber terrorized the library
It ain’t safe out in these study groups.
89. Dakari Johnson reclassified
Johnson will enter college early and he’s expected to join the Harrison twins, James Young, Marcus Lee, and Derek Willis in Lexington.
Come on down.
88. UK unveiled Wildcat statue on campus
That’s kind of cool. I guess.
87. Calipari taught the officials how to dribble at UALR game
One of the many great Calipari moments on the sideline in 2012.
86. Anthony Davis told Jimmy Kimmel he wants white-on-white Bentley
Yes, Kentucky’s star player was on Jimmy Kimmel Live. Just deal with it, haters.
85. Julius Randle met Drake on UK visit
Schools will have a hard time competing with Kentucky when it comes to hosting Randle on an official visit. Randle visited during the UK Alumni game, where he met Drake, one of his favorite rappers.
Come on down.
84. Jerry Tipton harassed players
Tipton asked Terrence Jones if he’s leaning on his injured finger as a crutch; asked Teague who paid for his new shoes; and asked Jones to teach him what swag is.
83. Chane Behanan called Final Four a “piece of cake”
We all know how that worked out for him.
82. Anthony Davis told us, “Don’t geek.”
And geek, we won’t.
81. Man found UK leg in Florida
Big Blue Nation really is everywhere.
80. KSR Top 50 Podcast
79. Storm cut Arkansas game short
78. Ashley Judd stole Terrence Jones’ cell phone
In one of the more bizarre stories of the year, Ashley Judd walked out of the Kentucky locker room with Terrence Jones’ cell phone.
It’s a block/charge.
76. The Kentucky Derby
Because, ya know, it’s the Kentucky Derby.
75. Indiana fan got blasted with a drink.
Photo of the year?
KSR invaded Section 206 during the Vanderbilt football game to join Patrick, the lone fan in the upper level.
73. Erin Calipari on KSR
“Hey soul sister, ain’t that Mr. Mister on the radio, stereo…”
72. UK cheerleading won its 19th Championship
And will win its 20th next year.
71. 70 year old men fought in dialysis clinic
Two patients at a Georgetown dialysis clinic got into a fight over Kentucky and Louisville’s Final Four matchup.
70. Everything John Short said.
He’s a great American.
69. The world didn’t end
68. Tod Lanter is your new Wildcat
Lanter lived out everyone’s dream by walking on to the UK basketball team.
67. The John Calipari Fantasy Experience
Add it to your bucket list.
66. Helmet Guy
65. Rupp renovation pictures
64. Joe B. Hall got a statue
63. KSR College debuts
Some say it’s the second best website on the internet.
Those people are right.
62. Louisville put a billboard in Frankfort
Because nothing says “Lexington Is For The Birds” like a billboard in Frankfort.
61. Kate on State
Big Blue Nation fell in love with Kate, a flasher on State Street during the Final Four celebration.
60. Stoops signed two JUCO standouts
It didn’t take long for Kentucky’s new football coach to reel in two solid recruits.
59. Portland got dunked on again
58. Eli Capilouto banned tailgating
No DJs! No music! No treats!
57. #L1C4 debuted
And we laughed, laughed, laughed, and laughed.
56. Anthony Davis vs. Arkansas
27 points, 16 rebounds, 7 blocks and set the single season block record 19 games into his career.
55. Little girl sings My Old Kentucky Home at Hoops game
54. UK Hoops beat Tennessee
Matthew Mitchell runs the SEC now.
53. Darius Miller joined the 1,000-point club
Miller finished his career with 1,248 points, good enough for 34th on the all-time scoring list.
52. Referee Guy’s halfcourt shot
UK student Vincent Swope created controversy after knocking down a halfcourt shot during halftime of a UK game.
Kroger got occupied. It got ugly.
51. 55-game home win streak
Kentucky’s undefeated home streak came to an end at 55 games, which was the longest active streak in the nation.
50. Nike Platinum Elite jerseys
UK debuted new Nike Platinum Elite jerseys against Tennessee.
49. Derek Willis commitment
Willis was the first commitment of the 2013 class and another recruiting victory over Pitino for Coach Cal.
48. Anthony Davis poster
The poster became a billboard in New Orleans during the SEC Tournament.
47. #OccupyMemorial / “Listen to me!”
Kentucky fans crashed the College Gameday party at Vanderbilt and Digger Phelps wasn’t happy about it.
46. Darius Miller dunked on Ole Miss
45. Fans followed the Bourbon Street cam in New Orleans
It was like watching “The Door” in Memphis but with drunk UK fans instead of the side of a building.
44. UK Football Senior Night
We said goodbye to guys like Morgan Newton, La’Rod King, Larry Warford, Matt Smith, CoShik Williams, Collins Ukwu and Taylor Wyndham.
43. Louisville Hate Day
Louisville Hate Day 2012 was our best yet. It’ll be tough to top in 2013.
42. Jarrod Polson beat Maryland
It still feels like a dream.
41. Stoops hired D.J. Eliot.
Stoops brought his defensive ends coach with him to Kentucky from Florida State.
40. UK Alumni game
Your favorite UK greats on the same court at the same time.
39. Lane Goodwin’s father sits on UK bench
George Goodwin, the father of Lane Goodwin, sat on UK’s bench as a special assistant. Lane passed away at the age of 13 after a three-year battle with cancer.
38. Kentucky and Kent State went 21 innings in the NCAA Tournament.
The Cats got hosed by not hosting the regional.
37. UK Hoops won the SEC regular season crown.
Matthew Mitchell’s squad is projected to repeat in 2013.
36. Julius Mays to Kentucky
Uncle Julius was a late addition to the Wildcats roster. He transferred from Wright State to add depth to the backcourt.
35. Randall Cobb set Packers’ record
Cobb broke Green Bay’s single season all-purpose record in his second year in the NFL.
34. Madness Campout 2012
It was a great time in Tent City, as always, even when Nerlens Noel fell on his back and scared the hell out of all of us.
33. Nerlens Noel reclassified
Noel jumped from 2013 to 2012 because he’s “gotta get 9.”
32. Hurricane Sandy telethon
Kentucky basketball donated almost $1 million to Hurricane Sandy relief efforts prior to the game in Brooklyn.
31. Re-raising the banner
30. Cal tours the state with the trophy
Coach Cal took his new hardware from Pikeville to Paducah and almost everywhere in between.
29. UK received all five LOIs for from 2013 class
All five recruits are locked into their commitments for next season.
28. Rupp Arena locker room
The Gold Standard…
27. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist sat for Darius Miller
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist offered to come off the bench for Darius Miller in the SEC Tournament. #brotherskeeper
26. New Wildcats debuted at Big Blue Madness
With the eighth championship banner hanging in the rafters, excitement for the new crop of Cats to take the court was at an all-time high. As was Calipari’s “You people are crazy” count.
25. Andrew Wiggins reclassified
He’s been called the best high school player since LeBron, and he could join the best recruiting class in history.
24. NCAA cleared Nerlens Noel
Also found in Pete Thamel’s 100 Worst Moments in 2012.
23. UK’s visit to the White House
The Cats capped off their victory tour with a visit to the White House, complete with a championship ring for President Obama. Who else has a ring? Former President Bill Clinton, who visited the team in April.
22. Darius Miller’s Senior Night
Sorry Stephen Foster, but lots of ladies (and gentlemen) were weeping that day.
21. Marcus Lee committed.
20. Matthew Mitchell’s Hammer Time
So much better than “Gangnam Style.”
19. No more Indiana
After the debacle in Bloomington last year, John Calipari insisted that the UK/Indiana series take place at neutral sites. Tom Crean disagreed and the series is at an impasse.
18. UK unveiled new Wildcat Lodge
Coach Cal took fans on a video tour of the new Wildcat Coal Lodge. The lodge may be the gold standard, but his shirt in the video was not.
17. Karl Towns committed
The big guy will do big things in 2014.
16. Neal Brown came home
A Kentucky boy and Air Raid disciple has come home to help lead the Cats out of the SEC cellar.
15. Anthony Davis won a gold medal
And becomes the NBA’s favorite little brother in the process.
14. ESPN aired All-Access Kentucky
The TV show that launched a thousand gifs.
13. Coach Cal and KSR’s fundraiser for West Liberty
Winning national championships is fun, but helping a community in need is even better.
12. James Young committed.
10. UK beat Baylor to reach Final Four
Thank God Anthony didn’t hurt himself.
9. Anthony Davis swept the awards
Awards on awards on awards.
8. The Parting Five
Saying goodbye never gets easier.
7. The Harrison twins committed to Kentucky
Number 4 and Number 5.
And he did it in style.
I miss them. I miss them so much.
4. Revenge against Indiana
I’ll think about that one a lot. A whole lot.
3. Mark Stoops became Kentucky’s new head football coach.
Stoops has a rich coaching pedigree, red hair, and a name that encourages wordplay. #StoopsThereItIs
2. Knocking Louisville out of the Final Four