10 Things To Know About Mike MacIntyre

Need to know more about San Jose State’s Mike MacIntyre?

You’re in the right place.

****

1.  He coached under Bill Parcells.

MacIntyre was Bill Parcells’ defensive backs coach in Dallas for all four years of The Tuna’s run with the Cowboys.  When Parcells stepped down from coaching America’s Team, Eric Mangini hired MacIntyre to be his defensive backs coach with the New York Jets.

2.  He coached under David Cutcliffe.

Twice.

MacIntyre was on Cutliffe’s staff at Ole Miss from 1999-2002.  Cutcliffe then hired him away from the New York Jets to be his defensive coordinator at Duke in 2008.

3.  He was named the American Football Coaches Association FBS Assistant Coach of the Year in 2009.

In his two years at Duke, he turned the Blue Devils defense that was regularly rated last in the ACC, if not among FBS-level schools, into a respectable unit.  Duke’s defense ranked sixth in the ACC in his final season with the team.

4.  He worked at Shoney’s.

After graduating from Georgia Tech in 1984, MacIntyre gave a year of his live to your favorite American family dining restaurant and breakfast buffet.

5.  He played free safety for two seasons at Vanderbilt before transferring to Georgia Tech.

MacIntyre played quarterback and defensive back for Brentwood Academy in Brentwood, Tennessee and went on to play for his father at Vanderbilt.  He transferred to Georgia Tech for his final two years of college.

6.  He won one game in his first year as a head coach.

MacIntyre’s San Jose Spartans went 1-12 in 2010, his first year as a head coach.

7.  He won five games in his second year as a head coach.

The Spartans showed improvement in Year 2 under MacIntyre, winning five games in 2011, including San Jose State’s first win over Fresno State in 24 years.

8.  The Spartans are 10-2 and No. 25 in the BCS rankings in 2012.

San Jose State just defeated Sonny Dykes’ Louisiana State team to finish its season with 10 wins.  If the Spartans can pick up an 11th win in the bowl game, it’ll be the most wins in a single season in the 63-year history of the program.

9.  He’s a candidate for the University of California job.

Cal’s Jeff Tedford was making a reported $2.3 million a year before being fired last week.  MacIntyre has been mentioned as a potential replacement on the Golden Bears’ sideline.

10.  He’s the current favorite at UK.

As Matt said on this morning’s radio show, if you were going out to Vegas to put money on who you think Kentucky’s next head coach will be, the smart play is Mike MacIntyre.

Stay tuned as the UK coaching search continues..

Article written by Drew Franklin

146 Comments for 10 Things To Know About Mike MacIntyre

1. Samuel
    11:48 am November 26, 2012 Permalink

11. He’s handsome as all get out!!!!

2. I would be more in favor of him if he’d worked at The Varsity instead.

3. tltaworl
    11:49 am November 26, 2012 Permalink

We have geography on our side. NFL experience, all looks good.

4. Mrs. Tyler Thompson
    11:49 am November 26, 2012 Permalink

He looks a little like Coach Taylor from Friday Night Lights in that picture, which automatically makes him my favorite.

5. Ryan D
    11:51 am November 26, 2012 Permalink

Get this done please… Best option I’ve seen that could be possible.

6. Jason
    11:51 am November 26, 2012 Permalink

Well, I also know his name isn’t “Bobby Petrino” and he isn’t fresh off a sweet scandal that has left Arkansas in a terrible position, not to mention, the team he recruited was just plain awful to begin with (losing Petrino doesn’t make you that bad unless you were that bad to begin with), and because of this, UK’s fan base is gonna be angry.

7. 8&Counting
    11:53 am November 26, 2012 Permalink

I still think Petrino is the one that should be hired. I know that is not what the AD/President maybe even the SEC Offices want to happen and he is being pushed away in the media. None of the other names have the excitement around them.

I also think that something about Harrow’s situation is not right and the media is not saying a word about it and is staying away from it as much as possible.

I’ll support whoever gets the HC job but I would love BP.

8. SexnNursinHomes
    11:54 am November 26, 2012 Permalink

Looks like Mark Emmert’s brother. We need this dude cuz of that.

Wonder if he uses the ol “you memmer those Cowboy teams with that great defense, don’t yee? Well that was me.”

At this point I don’t care. What I hope comes out of this is, is a coach who can bring this team just above mediocrity, SO that the next coaching search brings more credibility to our program.

9. Jason
    11:55 am November 26, 2012 Permalink

I’d have supported Petrino myself, but it just was never going to happen. We’re far and away from that being a possibility.

At this point, you go with the best option you can and I think Macintrye is quickly becoming one of those guys you can consider in that “best option” category.

10. GoGetEm
    11:55 am November 26, 2012 Permalink

This is who I want. He can obviously turn a program around and when I’ve watched him play he coaches with some piss and vinegar like we need. Joker didn’t have the emotions to be head coach. This man does and in my opinion he is the best option we have, even more so than Stoops.

11. ugh
    11:56 am November 26, 2012 Permalink

as soon as i saw the list of available people for coach, i looked for the coach who was at the smallest, most insignificant school and said ‘that will be our coach.’. turns out, it’s this guy. for people who don’t remember ball friggin state was almost in a BCS game a couple years ago so don’t give me any ‘his team is ranked in the top 25’ BS

12. Jason
    11:59 am November 26, 2012 Permalink

Oh, you mean that Ball State team in 2008 that was coached by Brady Hoke? Yeah what ever happened to that guy….

Oh wait, he’s turned around that Michigan team that sucked under Rich Rod. But yeah, awesome point “ugh”. Glad to see you did so much research on that one.

13. GoGetEm
    12:00 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

11.- All coaches start somewhere small. Brian Kelly coached 12 years at grand valley state before rising up, so I dont want to hear that small time coaches cant turn into big time names.

14. Harv is here
    12:00 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Hi Fatt. I’m still here. How are thinks with you and screw?

15. Truth
    12:01 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Mark Stoops please! He is a known guy and would be able to recruit right away. Mackintyre is a typical Barnhart “cheap” hire.

16. Joseph
    12:01 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Im glad that all of these facts can be done using a simple Google search and wikipedia. Be more creative; site has declined rapidly

17. memphis
    12:01 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Why should we believe that he can recruit in the SEC? Charlie Strong brought in kids from Florida to turn Louisville around. They signed with UofL to play for him, not because they love Louisville. We need something similar. Stoops can recruit Florida and turn us around. MacIntyre will bring in a bunch of California boys to get demolished in SEC play.

18. macon_volfan
    12:02 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

I think this guy would be a GREAT hire for you all. In fact, if not for the Dooley Debacle of the last 3 years, he might be a candiate at UT. I don’t think ‘the masses’ would accept a mid-major hire this time around. MacIntyre would be great in UK blue. In 3 years, UK will easily be 4th or 5th in the East, with a winning record and bowl game to boot.

19. WTF ever
    12:03 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

I get really ticked off reading some of the things that Barnyard says. The comment on “finding the right fit”. The “right fit” is someone who can coach 3 star players to the level of 4-5 stars….thats the right fit. If the new coach CAN’T do that then we will continue to be cellar dwellers. Yeah we will win 6 games a year with the Kent States, Samfords, WKU (maybe) and UL (maybe)…but we will never compete in the SEC unless the next guy can recruit. Any thing else is just cheap BS talk that BBN has heard over and over again for the past 60 years.

20. Jason
    12:03 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Why should we believe he CAN’T recruit in the SEC?

You know he’s the one who signed Patrick Willis in Ole Miss. But you’re right. Can’t recruit in SEC.

21. fatkidineastky
    12:04 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

I believe we could do worse and maybe even these idiotic Bob Petrino apologists will see the forest for the trees intead of not being able to see the trees for the forest. Bobby Petrino is not even going to be a coach this season on FBS level – UNLESS the A.D. isn’t aware of the amount of lies he told his previous supervisor…..So I am okay with all names (excluding Fulmer) outside of Petrino….and MacIntyre would be a good catch for UK.

22. memphis
    12:06 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

True. He brought in Patrick Willis at Ole Miss. Who else?

23. Jason
    12:08 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

@ 22 –

I’m not certain. The point is anyone who doesn’t think he can recruit in the SEC tends to ignore what he did there. He wasn’t even a coordinator there but he was apart of a huge coup in Willis. He was only there for 2 years. Hell, if we could get one Patrick Willis to come to Kentucky, it’d be a heck of a lot better than a lot of the guys we do get annually.

24. GoCats2
    12:08 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

macon_volfan would you please stop bringing positive, rational comments to this website. As you can see by the other comments above, your statements do not belong.

25. maconvolfan
    12:09 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

sorry….

26. Steve Fitts
    12:09 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

If Cal makes an offer, I doubt seriously that we will be able to match Cal’s offer. Plus Cal is just 35 miles from where he is at now. If Cal wants him, Cal will get him.

27. UKEngr
    12:10 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

“I’m a football fan and I like winning. Bobby Petrino doesn’t have a job right now. He can and did win on the highest level (SEC). I cannot deny that he does have personal issues that he would be bringing to UK. I have weighed these things out as I just care a lot about winning and don’t think these issues will plague him at UK. Alas! Matt Jones doesn’t like Petrino because Matt thinks Petrino is too risky. Because of this disagreement, I am going to hate Matt, KSR, and anyone who agrees with him because I am not getting what I want. I don’t care that Matt has connections from within the program and I only watch on TV, I am still going to call Matt a saboteur who wants UK to suck at football indefinitely.” -Majority of Petrino supporters who comment on KSR (a.k.a. whining babies)

Tell me if I am wrong with this logic….

28. Punter U
    12:11 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

macon_volfan is exactly right…. with this guy we could be 4th or 5th in the SEC East 3 years. So it will take him 3 years to move up from 6th place to 5th place??? And he’s a great hire why?

29. memphis
    12:11 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

I’m not ignoring what he did there. He brought in Patrick Willis. The same Patrick Willis who also had scholarship offers from Memphis and Arkansas State. Getting lucky on one undervalued player does not make you the king of SEC recruiting.

30. FingeredbyBobby
    12:11 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Petrino rapes football programs and professional organizations! UK fans that desperate to drop the soap?

31. dave
    12:12 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

22-if he wouldve done any better than willis than he would be getting much better jobs offers than UK

32. karsmart.com
    12:12 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Like just about everyone else, I think Petrino is the best coach available & UK would have ZERO shot at him if he had not messed up so bad that he was fired & looked like a complete jackass in that neckbrace, having said that I would still go after him.

Knowing we are not, I would put Macintyre & Dykes as both very good candidates and ones UK should try to get, both can coach. UK would be lucky to have either one after what Joker did his last 3 years, not much.

33. maconvolfan
    12:12 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

#26-maybe. But he’s Southern. I’m sure he took the SJSU job to get some experience, but I think he’d run back east to be the head coach at an SEC school.

34. maconvolfan
    12:14 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

#28-Look at who is above UK in the east. NO COACH, with the current UK talent, will be able to crack the top 3 in the east.

35. paducahfan
    12:16 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

The school will attract suffucient talent that if a coach is good, we’ll be competitive, and frankly, that’ll be enough for most fans. The problem with Joker was that the coaching staff was not smart. Two deep handoffs on 4th and one?

36. GoGetEm
    12:17 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Petrino people- He is not coming. I don’t care where he goes, UT, auburn, Cal, anywhere. I just don’t care. Yes he wins. Yes he recruits. He also cripples programs when he leaves and has no ounce of loyalty in his body. But none of that matters because he is not coming. If you don’t support UK football because we don’t hire Petrino then you’re not a fan to begin with and good riddance to ya. Once again just to make sure you got it: He is not coming. Get over it and move on because like i may have previously mentioned, he is not coming.

37. ukupay1
    12:18 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

So many Posters have taken the Petrino or else attitude..this guy is not getting looks from more prominent programs because of the same reason we are not looking at him…if a guy like Mc..can come in here and bring new energy and go from 2-3 wins next year and show strong progress in the next 2-5 years this will be a great hire…I will support this type of hire, let me be clear..if MB hired BP I would also support this but would also be looking in rearview mirror as to when and what will happen..just comes with his baggage.

38. JaredCarterIsMyHomeboy
    12:19 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Go get em!

39. Delk for 3
    12:22 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

I think MacIntyre is a solid coach who can do some good things at UK. He will have our guys playing better the first day he steps on the practice field as Joker has simply done nothing.

40. Chuck
    12:23 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

#27 you are not wrong. In my opinion Petrino is the best choice. Arkansas is not Alabama but he had them almost at their level when he was fired. Rich Brooks was thought of as a good hire by the UK faithful but he never beat Petrino as he was 0-4 against him. If Petrino had stayed at UofL I believe Brooks would have eventually been fired because he was never gonna beat Petrino. Barnhart for some reason is not gonna hire him and I don’t believe it is because Petrino is “blackballed” by the SEC because in the end it’s about winning and losing and money that’s why I believe Petrino will end up at Auburn because while Arkansas has never been on the level of Alabama, Auburn has and the Auburn Administration knows this and when he’s hired there one guy that will finally have a little more pressure on him is Nick Saban.

41. lkamsd
    12:23 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Why would he move to KY if the Cal job is open?

42. WTF ever
    12:24 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

20) Yeah, one recruit and he’s the king of the south. Come on you can do better than that.
    I’m not saying he CAN’T recruit …….I’m saying if he CAN’T then its the same ole song and dance here is my point. BTW, Ole Miss is not our target…on any given year we are Ole Miss…lets go after the Florida’s, Georgia, S. Carolina, LSU, Auburn, Tenn, ….thats our target! At least my target…legit top 10/20 team.

43. bobbypetrinofan
    12:24 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Woo-hoo! UK FB looking to rise all the way to almost mediocre.
    Freaking awesome.

44. fur eel
    12:27 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Hope it works out. Mitch’s definition of ‘swinging for the fences’ is a bit different than mine though.

45. el cid
    12:27 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

I bet McI’s agent uses UK as leverage to inflate his price for Cal.

McI to Cal.

Strike uno for MB.

46. Linda Taylor
    12:28 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

26 – We don’t have to match Cal’s offer. The cost of living out there is sky high. He could have the same standard of living on less here. His decision would be based more on where he wants to coach and live. He may have dreamed his whole life of being an SEC head football coach. We will find out soon enough.

47. Jason
    12:28 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

@42

We’re not going to be a legit top 10-20 team any time in the near future. With anyone. We can’t jump Georgia, SC and Florida at this point, and without that, we’re not a legit top 10-20 team.

And sure, I never said he was the king of the South. But people who pretend that he automatically can’t recruit in the south are beyond ignoring the facts. He can recruit here. He’s proven it. In fact, I’d argue he’s proven it better than Mark Stoops whom everyone is so sure will be able to pull Florida 4 and 5 stars here.

You can say that about ANYONE who doesn’t recruit. Sure, if (insert coach) doesn’t recruit well….we’ll be bad. Duh. That’s a no brainer. But I think Mac’s about the best coaching name we can be connected to (outside of maybe Sonny Dykes, but I’m beginning to see Mac as the better hire the more and more I look into it).

48. Martin Van Buren
    12:28 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Shoney’s sucks

49. Eli
    12:30 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Matt and Drew is already posting crap about Mike MacIntyre and he’s not even been named coach yet. That shows how much they suck Barnharts a$$ because of showing him that they support his hire regardless of who it is. What about the posting for the other 3 candidates?? Come on let’s see one of Stoops.

50. BravoBigBlue
    12:30 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Really? Who cares! Let him go to Cal. This guy cannot win at Kentucky. Do we want someone that can win, or someone to teach Sunday school?

51. dave
    12:31 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

41-originally from miami, fl & has predominantly worked in the south.
    cowboys, duke, ole miss, uga, tenn-martin & played at vandy/GT

52. Chuck
    12:33 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

In the 3 years Joker was here we beat Georgia and South Carolina both. The SEC East is very winnable with the right coach.

53. SteveM
    12:35 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Why on earthe would he come to UK when he could go to Cal?

54. UKChris
    12:35 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Tell us something we don’t know… This isn’t journalism, this is copy and paste from Wikipedia.

Also, Matt, why do you respond on Twitter to those who try to insult you but not to real fans asking real questions? Please show some professionalism.

– From: a KSR fan since day 1

55. universityofmediocre
    12:35 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Im out on this hire. Mitch blows it again. I could be excited with Stoops but not this hire. Mitch needs to retire now.

56. Jason
    12:35 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Right now, the number 3 and number 4 teams in the NATION are in the SEC East. Oh yeah, and SC is 10th.

I forgot when having 3 of the top 10 teams in the nation in your division, when you’re a 2-10 team who got blasted 40-0 to Vandy, was considered “winable”.

57. Jason
    12:36 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Also it’s funny everyone whining about someone posting a little information about a guy they probably knew nothing about. “waaahh you posted useful information! that’s not journalism”.

58. Linda Taylor
    12:37 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

49 – You are behind the times my man, check out the 8:30pm post on Nov. 24th. It’s about Stoops.

59. concerned fan
    12:37 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Does anyone know what Scott Bishop’s take is on this?

60. Done with this $hit
    12:39 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Rinse, repeat… Cue this same topic up in three years. Stupid a$$ UK fans fall this same Stuff over and over again.

61. el cid
    12:41 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

UK competition for its next coach is NCState, Colorado, Purdue and Cal. It’s not the other SEC schools.

UK will pay Petrino price’s for an inferior or untested equivalent. The market is skewed to the sellers now to UK’s detriment.

An effective AD forcasts these market forces and hopefully preempts or prepares for it.

I don’t mind not getting Petrino but UK and it’s AD should (and won’t) be intelectually honest about the inflated price it will have to pay for Joker’s replacement.

62. BravoBigBlue
    12:42 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

KSR is on the bandwagon of whoever Mitch wants them to be. Mark my words. Mitch will make a mediocre hire (at best) and Kentucky will return to mediocrity (at best) from the disaster that was the Joker Phillips era. You Barnhart fans will get what you deserve. Now line up to buy those season tickets!!!!

63. Chuck
    12:43 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

We almost beat a team that’s playing for the SEC championship(Georgia), with Joker! It is very winable with the right coach, however this weekend you’ll see just how far apart the SEC East is from the SEC West.

64. TimeFor9
    12:44 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

I appreciate KSR keeping me from having to go to Wikipedia, so to all you whining about it coming from there, too bad! Go somewhere else if you’re just gonna whine about this site’s content

65. Jack Nicklaus
    12:44 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Hey look…he is actually showing some emotion! Wow…imagine that…a coach that actually gets excited. Crazy, crazy, crazy.

66. SteveM
    12:44 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

#36 you’re quite limited (if not sanctimonious) in your appraisal of Petrino supporters. You don’t seem to understand that it isn’t so much that they won’t support UK football if Barnhart doesn’t hire Petrino as much as it is they won’t continue to support a program and an administration that continues to hire no-names on the cheap in lieu of making a real commitment to attract a quality coach ala’ Petrino. By saying he’s not interested in a Petrino, Barnhart is continuing a generational traditon of losing and a lot of older fans simply have run out of patience and support for such a hire.

67. Big Blue Swagger
    12:45 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

While I’m on the fence about Petrino at UK, I’m just curious as to why it’s any different than the baggage our basketball coach brought with him. I suppose its that Cal has only been accused of cheating but its never been proven. I LOVE Coach Cal BUT we can’t deny he has left his two collegiate stops with vacated final fours yet BBN is more than willing to embrace him and accept his past and the high risk of potential vacating wins & championships.
    Does the lack of Petrino’s morals make him THAT MUCH different in the overall scope of athletics? Maybe, maybe not. Not considering Petrino tells me UK still isn’t SERIOUS about becoming contenders in football. We’ll do what it takes to win in basketball, which is probably the attitude we need to take regarding our football program (particularly if we want to achieve success as quickly as we did with Calipari).

68. millwooded
    12:46 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

i was sold on this guy til i found out he coached at shoneys…guess getting a guy from waffle house was out of our league..seriously, i think he is a good fit.

69. notplayingthisgame
    12:47 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Linda Taylor, are you Matt’s mom?

70. CATS fan
    12:48 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

From a reliable source (UK football player), UK has already hired a coach and will announce it later today or tomorrow. I’m hearing it’s almost certain that Macintyre has the job.

71. Joe
    12:48 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Money-wise, McIntyre currently makes ~$300,000 (Lexington-equivalent). So, even offering him the same pay is a pay raise. So, were UK to offer a 3 year $1 Million dollar contract it would be the equivalent of a $1.6 Million dollar San Jose contract, i.e., a TRIPLING in pay…

So money-wise mcIntyre isn’t going to cost us Joker loot, but will provide him with a substantial increase in standard of living.

Offer a 3 year, with the option to renegotiate for more….If he does far better than expected, he’ll probably leave after 3 any way, and if he does well, we can offer him more money then.

Just some thoughts.

72. Eli
    12:49 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Linda Taylor, I saw the post about Stoops. But there wasn’t 10 things you need to know about Stoops and they weren’t making a big deal about him. So with that said, you can go sit in the corner and hit that D!ldo a couple times.

73. STOOPS
    12:49 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

I still like Stoops better. His southern connections will benefit us more, plus hes a bigger name IMO

74. Joe
    12:51 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Nail…Head. Cal was ACCUSED of cheating, Petrino was CAUGHT lying…Petrino bailed on 2 of his last 3 teams….it’s the difference between rumour and reality.

75. Eli
    12:51 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Linda Taylor, and using Matt’s phrase!! “My Man” haha funny!!

76. el cid
    12:51 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Does anyone at KSR or its readers know who the agents of the potential candidates are? Are multiple candidates represented by the same pimp? Which pimp placed prior SEC hires? Who was Joker’s rep?

77. catcard202
    12:52 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Like it’s a big deal that he beats a bad Fresno State team for the 1st time in 24yrs..(a 4-9 team that yr)…Isn’t that like UK beating a terrible UT team, last yr??? I guess Joker should fluff his resume w/ that tid-bit, as well!

And so what if SJSU is now 10-2, this yr…MM made that “progress” only after Hawaii, Fresno State, Nevada & Boise St. left for the MWC!!!!

And BTW, He,s only recruited a total of 17 3* athletes to SJSU in 3yrs…And that’s w/ the Bay Area having a population of over 7M w/in a 2hr drive of SJSU campus…Another 20M+ w/in a 7hr drive (SoCal / LA Metro)…w/o ever leaving the state of CA! (JFYI, CA produces about 150-170 3* or better athletes each yr!!!)

78. Jason
    12:54 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

@ 72

Probably for two reasons. 1) is that Macintyre seems to be the odds on favorite at this moment to be taking the job and 2) I’ve seen entirely more fans whining and crying about Mac because he’s at SJSU while suckling at the teet of the Stoops name and FSU. Honestly, there’s more of a reason to do a “10 things you should know about Mac” considering both of those.

But real classy remark, none the less.

79. HeyDummie
    12:58 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

75 Since people are griping about this being a copy and paste from Wiki, why don’t you just go there to get your 10 things you need to know, you big whinebag??? And while Linda is hitting that
    “D!ldo” I’m sure your hand will be busy fondling your tiny member.

80. Charlie Brown
    12:58 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Mitch Barnhart’s Method to Hiring a Coach:

1. MacIntyre is offered the job.
    2. He says he needs time to think about it.
    3. Mitch lets rumors about Stoops slip out to pressure MacIntyre into making a hasty decision.
    4. MacIntyre is hired.

81. Joe
    12:58 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Of the three mentioned, I’d take Stoops, just because I favour defense.

82. universityofmediocre
    12:59 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Jason, as each day passes it sounds more and more like KSR is promoting this guy. They have even gone as far as deleting comments that are critical of the hire. The majority of the fan base doesn’t support this hire from what I can tell. Where is an article or poll on that subject? The fact is this is do or die time for the football program and the implications are huge for the entire athletic department. How many more buyouts and losing seasons can UK afford. This guy is BCG all over minus the booze. Mitch needs to go now !

83. njCat
    1:00 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Stoops… don’t know. His FSU defense just gave up 250 yards on the ground to UF, more than Minter’s ‘D’ gave up earlier in the year.

Dykes’ teams don’t seem to play much defense, so he might have a tough time competing in SEC.

MacIntyre looks like the best option. Hopefully he’ll take the job.

84. Joe
    1:03 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

The majority of the fan base doesn’t support this hire from what I can tell.
    I doubt that the fan base supports the person YOU support either, what does that mean? I’m sure every candidate has his supporters/detractors, and I doubt any candidte has a MAJORITY of the fan base, your point is true, but meaningless.

85. Linda Taylor
    1:04 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Eli you have now shown the class of person you are, gutter. You wanted a post on Stoops, I merely pointed the way. There was no need to descend to the depths you did.

86. Jim 1
    1:05 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Can a defencive minded coach win at UK? Can he recruit players that can be competitive in the SEC on defence? Will UK fans tolerate losing 24 to 12 etc?

If Barnhart hires a defencive head coach, he better have an exciting offencive coordinator if he wants to keep the fan base.

87. 82
    1:05 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

82) i agree, we need a poll on this. this HACK or stoops.. I VOTE STOOPS

88. dave
    1:06 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

83-FSU had 5 TOs & UF had a 50yd punt return. not defending stoops but those may have slightly helped UFs offense & tired FSUs D

89. Linda Taylor
    1:06 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

79 – I would have to own one before I could use it.

90. Guy Morriss
    1:07 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

I am a huge UK football fan, go to all home games pay the crazy ticket fees & crazy RV lot parking pass and usually go on a few road trips every year. I am in favor of at least giving Petrino a chance with a interview. Also, I don’t understand the entitlement of us saying we are in the SEC, we are the doormat in the SEC, and have been for a long time with the exception of a few seasons. Money or no money, we will have to take a coach with baggage (petrino) or a coach from a mid-major (dykes, macintyre, gary andersen) or maybe get lucky and get a coach from a BCS conference like Butch Jones. We must get better so we can use the “hey we are in the SEC” thing, doesn’t matter what conference you are in when you suck.

91. Eli
    1:14 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

I’m sorry Linda that was very inappropriate!!

92. Ukalum
    1:15 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

This guy is just another Barnhart “buddy”. It’s the same old joker song and dance. Barnhart hired a guy he can get along with, not the best coach available. Barnhart had to ask Cutcliffe and Parcells for who he should hire. He has coached or recruited in the SEC for over a decade. The two good offenses he face(utah state & LT) his team struggled against. Welcome to get creamed for another 3 yrs if he is hired.

93. Duke Sucks
    1:15 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

I think Mitch should contact Belotti and Dan Hawkins. He may very well hire Mac. But I think he should Atleast contact some of these older coaches who know how to turn things around. It worked well for Brooks.

94. njCat
    1:18 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

88. What do turnovers and punt returns have to do w/ giving up 250 yards on the ground? When this guy has less talent at KY, how’s he going to compete w/ UF?

Also, w/ his name and resume – how does he not have any head-coaching experience? Family legacies rarely work out, so I really have my doubts about Stoops.

What MacIntyre as done at SJState is pretty amazing if you ask me. And most of his ties are to the south and SEC. He s/b able to recruit and win. Looks like the best choice, by far.

95. universityofmediocre
    1:20 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

84- then lets get a poll up on KSR instead of being spoon fed propaganda. Lets see what the fans think. I bet a coach would get a solid plurality and I also bet Mike wouldn’t be close. There you have it KSR make a poll and let fans vote. I BET IT DOESN’T HAPPEN . KSR is too worried about its media credentials getting pulled when they upset Mitch!

96. Duke Sucks
    1:21 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Giving the shape that Joker was allowed to get our program in, Mitch should be made to interview Patrino. Then Mitch could tell the fans he considered him. Now who ever he hires will be behind the 8 ball from the start. Because the fans didn’t want him to begin with. Same thing happened with BCG the fans didnt want him only took a few losses and we wanted him out.

97. Poop Bucket
    1:25 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

You think coach Cal will loan the new FB coach an ice cream bucket to poop in?
    Without an ice cream bucket he won’t have a place to poop.
    How long can a guy go w/o pooping?
    A man cannot live by farting alone.
    That could be a big factor in who will take the job.
    Do not overlook the poop factor.

98. Mikey1286
    1:26 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

I am an advocate for Petrino because he is a proven coach, but some people who comment on these message boards are out of control. I want Petrino, but to immediately reject any other name that is brought to the discussion is crazy. I think there are pros and cons to any of our candidates, and all come with a level of uncertainty, but all have proven they are deserving of the opportunity. I think that like it or not, some of us are just going to have to sit back and let it play out with the coach who is hired. The conspiracy theories are starting to get old.

99. Ukalum
    1:28 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

94) your an idiot. Stoops defense beat Florida the previous two seasons and actually only held them to a touchdown.
    Macintyre was beat by TWENTY-TWO by UTAH STATE.

100. Duke Sucks
    1:29 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Let’s be honest people we don’t need a poll to know about 75% of the fan base wants Patrino for better or worse. If Mitch hires anyone else he better win big and quickly. As soon as the next coaches loses a few in row we will be wanting him fired. Who ever the coach is will not get a fair shake because the fans didn’t want him to begin with. I not saying it right or that Patrino should get the job I’m just stating a fact.

101. Ukalum
    1:31 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

94) everyone stop saying that Macintyre can recruit the south. No one knows that. He hasn’t been at ole miss in a decade and when he was at duke they were lucky to get two star guys.

102. Blue Bayou
    1:32 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Didn’t Matt say that Dykes was the favorite and the smart money was on him just like a week or so back? I wonder who the favorite will be next week so I can move my smart money around some more. At least it won’t be Petrino (thank goodness).

If we can get Stoops, we should (and will). I just don’t think he will come to UK with all the other jobs open. MacIntyre may be the best coach we can get.

103. Dee
    1:32 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

THIS IS THE GUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HIRE THIS MAN…….You hear me UK….THIS IS THE GUY!!!!

104. Dee
    1:34 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

100. 75% of Uk fans DO NOT WANT Petrino…..that’s crap….I’d say about 30-40% do…but THEY ARE THE LOUD A-hole fans that want him….the “sane” fans….what a different coach.

105. dave
    1:34 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

100- dude, that’s just incorrect. it’s not 75%. just b/c you think it is doesnt make it so. there are more fans than the ones who type on message boards.
    94-seriously? what do TOs have to do with defense? wow….

106. Irony
    1:34 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

99 nice job w the ol ‘your an idiot’…irony at it’s best.

107. Lex_man34
    1:34 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

This coaching search is like “Who shot J.R.” Very entertaining. I hope it stretches out for entertainment’s sake. LOL!

108. bigcat76
    1:37 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

The story doesn’t say so I have to ask. What makes a guy transfer away from the team his father is coaching? Did somebody steal his gold chain, too?

109. Ukalum
    1:37 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

106) your an idiot too if you think Barnhart hiring a guy that he can be friends with in Macintyre will equal SEC success

110. njCat
    1:37 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

99. Seriously?? Name calling? How old are you?

My point was that Stoops defense gave up a lot of yards to UF. UF sucked the two years before – so I don’t give him much credit for that. He also racked up great stats in the ACC w/ Florida talent. And don’t forget – he has ZERO head coaching experience.

MacIntyre turned a 1-11 team into a 10-2 team. I’ll take that.

111. Duke Sucks
    1:38 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

I agree with you 98 but you know just as well as I. That who ever the coach is will be doomed from the start because he WILL NOT have the fan support. I’m not saying its right but Mitch isnt even going to interview Patrino he damn well better hire a big name proven coach, because with the team Joker is leaving behind this program is going the take time to even be respectable. Do you think the fans will give any of these guys listed as possibilities support after 2 or 3 years at 3-9.

112. njCat
    1:40 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

106. lol.. so true.

113. njCat
    1:42 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

111. If the next coach gets us to a bowl game in year 2 the fans will be just fine. If he doesn’t, both he and Mitch will be run out of town on a rail.

114. bigcat76
    1:42 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

110. Don’t forget that 1-11 team was his too. Just sayin’.

115. Irony
    1:43 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

109 I am not taking sides in your argument, I’m simply pointing out that you called someone an idiot while looking like one yourself with that grammar. You probably still don’t even know what you did wrong. Hint: YOU’RE

116. Ukalum
    1:44 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

110) Macintyre put together a bunch of juco kids and high school rejects together and beat teams in a worse conference than the ACC. Utah state is the best team in that conference and LT has basically had zero defense all year. Everyone else in that conference sucks. Sorry in I’m not impressed by one season with a bunch of senior in a bad conference and without a single recruiting pipeline uk could use.

117. Irony
    1:45 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

I think Ukalum is really Mark Hamilton and will be busting out the “escape goat” on us next.

118. Duke Sucks
    1:46 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

30 or 40% come on? Evidently you don’t go to the games. 7 out of ten people you ask would take Patrino if he was a option. I guess the “sane” fans don’t like going to BCS bowl games or winning 10 games a year. Ok 104 and 105 know everything we should hire who they want because they are obviously experts at football. If we don’t hire who they want UK will fail.

119. Ukalum
    1:50 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

115) I’m typing on a cell phone. And I didn’t realize you were the grammar police of every Internet blog. No one cares about grammar on this site, not even the writers. Get over yourself and talk about football and not grammar

120. The irony of irony
    1:51 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Isn’t ironic that someone would go to a sports blog and look for grammatical errors.is this a sports blog or ENG 101. I’m not taking sides in your little spat however he may look like a moron but you look like a total bag. I’m just saying

121. Point. Blank. Period
    1:53 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

15) You speak truth. Mark Stoops is THE best candidate besides Mr. Harley Davidson himself. Mark Stoops will give us a strong defense and with his own control of hiring assistants he could bring in a good OC to make us competitive again. Get it done Mitch, or else get the eff out here! Mark Stoops… Point. Blank. Period

122. Ukalum
    1:53 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Macintyre beat bad teams to get where he is and only beating bad teams won’t build a program in the SEC.

123. Irony
    1:54 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

119 and 120 this site makes fun of UL fans all the time for saying “your an idiot”, so I simply told him nice job for using it. He then went on to use it again in the same manner, so I replied to his reply. I may look like a total bag, but at least I’m not a moron.

124. Ukalum
    1:56 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

123) your a bag and a moron. Either talk football or leave.

125. Irony
    1:56 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

124 I would rather talk football with someone who has common sense, and since you seem to be dominating the posts that clearly can’t happen here.

126. Ukalum
    1:57 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Your, your your your your

127. UKGrad83
    1:57 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

At least MM has head coaching experience and has shown he can build a program, if only just once. Face it, we aren’t going to get a Saban, Cowher, or other big name hire. Petrino’s been blackballed by the SEC so that isn’t happening either. The dude shows more passion in the photo than we got in 3 years of Joker.

128. Irony
    1:57 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Again, 124 awesome job with your. Nice 4th grade education.

129. Ukalum
    1:58 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

125 enlighten my little brain with your common sense football talk

130. Ukalum
    1:59 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

128) if you haven’t realized I’m doing that to get at you. Then you’re a moron and a bag. You idiot

131. Duke sucks
    2:00 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

#113 you are 100% correct and that would be the best for everyone. I hope they do win big. I’m just trying to be real though. Who ever the coach is will lose for a few years no matter who they get. The players just are not good enough to win in the SEC Saban could coach up the players we got and win. I just don’t see the fans backing any of these guys after back to back bad years. I’m not saying I agree with that or that Patrino should get the job I’m just saying Mitch needs to hire someone the fans can get behind and give them the time it’s going to take and I don’t see anyone like that on the list of possible replacements. Let’s hope you are right and they win early.

132. Mikey1286
    2:01 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

111) I agree that none of these names are as sexy as Bobby P. and that they may not fill the seats like him either. But I do think that it is telling now that the other SEC jobs have come officially available and no one else seems to be interested in him. (and I would assume there is alot more pressure to be good at fb in Auburn,Tenn,and Arky than at UK)

I dont really think there is another name available out there that would come to UK and fill the stadium. There really aren’t any other big named proven coaches out there that would be interested in this job. So the names out there right now may be the best we can get, and I do think they may be able to do good things here. You just never can really be 100% sure when you get guys that haven’t coached at the SEC level until they get the opportunity to proove themselves on the field.

I don’t however agree with you that there is no talent on this team to work with. I think that we do have alot of young talent on this team, and I think that given a good on the field coach, alot of them can prosper. When you look at a guy like McIntire who is doing more with less, you would think that he would be able to do even more with the players we have who are more talented than what he has on his current roster.

133. Ukalum
    2:01 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Macintyre is another Barnhart failure, that hasn’t happened yet.

134. dave
    2:02 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

116-he competed with stanford at SJSU. in his 3rd year. & barely lost to utah st “the best team in the wac” in his 1st & 2nd years.
    if he can compete with a top 15 team at sjsu then he should be able to compete with uofl, mizz, vandy, miss st every year while competing/upsetting uf, uga, usc every few years. which would equate to a statue here in lexington.

135. Ukalum
    2:06 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

134) and joker beat South Carolina and almost beat georgia in the last two years. That didn’t mean anything at uk. I’m not saying the guy CAN’T coach. I’m saying he can’t recruit in the SEC against SEC schools. Which means when the kids on the roster now are gone. So are the competitive seasons.

136. Chuck
    2:08 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

#34 I can’t believe that Barnhart doesn’t seem to be considering Gary Andersen, according to KSR, because Andersen is in the same conference as MacIntyre and Dykes and everything he plays both if those guys he beats them.

137. Ukalum
    2:10 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

136) according to what I have read Anderson told UK thanks but no thanks

138. Relax
    2:18 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

You people who are convinced MM can’t recruit in the SEC obviously have short memories. Didn’t we just have a coach with ties to the west that did pretty well here. You don’t have a clue what type of assistants (who do most of the day to day evaluating anyway) he would bring with him. Most important part of being a college head coach is to to manage a staff and put assistants in the right positions to succeed. Seems to have done pretty well at SJSU in that regard. Everyone needs to just quit bashing Barnhart and give this new guy, whomever he is, a chance. Dont have to be a fan of the coach but if you are a fan of the team you need to get behind the guy and support him.

139. drewsster02
    2:18 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Chuck,
    The primary reason that Anderson is not considered is because he has no ties to the Southeast other than a brief few months at Southeastern Louisiana. He will probably make a great hire somewhere. I think that he would have more success out west where he has been for many years. Cal or Colorado is a more likely destination for him.

140. Ukalum
    2:24 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

138) who would he bring in for his staff? People from sjsu? I hope not. People from duke? I would give up on football. Keep the same people we have? Welcome to mediocre. Brooks was from Oregon a BCS school. Not sjsu. He has no decent ties to good programs with good assistants. So he will fail.

141. Relax
    2:31 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

140)I have no idea who he should bring nor do you. This guy has been a coach in the NFL, SEC, ACC, and out west. I think he would have a long list of people to choose from from all different backgrounds. There are lots of young hungry assistant coaches out there that would love to be in the SEC.

142. Ukalum
    2:40 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

141) except for the cowboys. All the teams he has been on haven’t been that great. Everyone was fired at ole miss because Cutcliffe refused to fire some of his assistants and develop a better recruiting plan. Mark stoops is way better than Macintyre. I can’t get excited about a guy from the Cutcliffe coaching tree

143. Relax
    2:48 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

142)How about someone from the Bill Parcells coaching tree? Look I won’t say he his a “can’t miss” hire but he brings a lot of interesting things to the table. Say what you want about the number of 3-stars, etc he has recruited, but he molded that group into a top 25 team. For you to just dismiss him as a complete failure before even hearing him speak is crazy.

144. noticed
    2:58 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

He looks like a plumper version of the Friday Night Lights coach!

145. Jim 1
    3:16 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

In 2006 under Brooks, UK gave up 29 pts. per game on defense and avg. 29 pts per game on offense, results 8/5 record with a bowl victory.

In 2007, Brook’s best team, UK gave up 30 pts. per game on defense and avg. 37 pts. per game on offense, results 8/5 record with a bowl vitory.

Neither year much good can be said for their defense but were but were able to win because of a high powered offense led by qb A. Woodson. If you go back over some of UK’s better yrs. (few at best) you will find this same trend holding true.

I don’t believe a defensive coach can recruit SEC type defensive athletes that it will take to alter this trend. Hope I’m Wrong. It seems that in the high school world of today players are more geared toward offense. So it seems that UK’s better choice would be a high powered offensive coach. AT least the excitment may give him a few more years with the fans.

146. SevenT
    7:55 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

The Anti-Petrino crowd cracks me up! Kentucky hired Calipari! Don’t get me wrong I love Coach Cal but he left two programs on NCAA probation and had to vacate two Final Fours. Hire Petrino NOW, we will win and fans will pack the house.