10 Reasons To Be Glad College Football is Back

It’s the moment we’ve all been waiting for since the moment the NBA draft finished, leaving us with baseball, NASCAR, tennis and golf to fill our Sports Center highlight reels. No offense to any of those sports, but the world of sports is at its best in the peak of football and basketball seasons. The drought is almost over though as college football officially kicks off later tonight. Besides the obvious reasons (great games, rivalries, players, topics for sports shows, etc.), here are 10 reasons to be glad college football is finally back…

1) Less time for Joker Phillips to make #ComePlayWRForTheJoker photoshops. (h/t Matt Anderson)

I’m not prepared to say that Joker Phillips lost his mind a little bit this summer with his Twitter account, but I’m not prepared to say that he didn’t either. I just hope that he finds more ways to occupy his time during the season, for his sake and for ours as well.

2) Drinking during the day is socially acceptable and even encouraged (h/t Every single person who I asked)

Tailgating at 8 a.m. for a noon kickoff is not only socially acceptable, but it’s what Kentucky fans will be facing for the first few home games. Ordering an alcoholic beverage with your breakfast is never more acceptable than during college football season. Cheers, folks.

3) Speaking of day drinking…It gives us a chance to re-visit ridiculous tailgating photos such as the one below/Alabama fans will inevitably get a horrible tattoo that will somehow find its way to the internet

(Still Drew Franklin’s best photoshop work to date)

4) There’s an outside chance that someone will talk about what Johnny Football does ON the field rather than off the field.

Probably not, but maybe.

5) Twitter can consist of something other than talking about Breaking Bad

I love the show. You love the show. Your best friend loves the show. Your other friend who is no longer your friend (you’ll understand the reason why in a minute) loves the show, and tweets exactly what happens before you have a chance to catch up on your DVR. We all love it. We all watch it. If you don’t, what’s wrong with you? With that said, it’s time to have a different topic of conversation on Twitter. Miley can disappear while we’re at it, too.

6) People don’t have to pretend to realllllllly care about soccer on Twitter anymore

I love soccer as much as anyone. I just didn’t realize that the whole rest of the social media world cared about it so passionately… only during the 2 summers months when nothing else is going on.

7) It brings back to relevance the guy you watch games with who knows what the “nickel” defense actually is…

He may or may not be the same guy who talks about his high school playing days every chance he gets.

8) We can cool it on NBA mock drafts and YouTube Mixed Tapes for 2017 recruits

The basketball news is often times so slim pickens during July and August that we get caught up in mock draft after mock draft. And when we are finished scanning the mock drafts, we get away too excited about random YouTube Mixed Tapes by DJ Doctor Funk for 13 year olds with a “mean handle.”

9) It means we are in between seasons of the Bachelor/Bachelorette

Sorry Aaron Flener fans.

10) And last but not least…we are that much closer to Midnight Madness and the start of college basketball season.

Let’s be honest, we’re all excited to see what the 2013-2014 season has in store for Kentucky basketball.

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

18 Comments for 10 Reasons To Be Glad College Football is Back

1. deWildcat
    1:18 pm August 29, 2013 Permalink

ROLL TIDE – Yep!! I’m a CAT fan but you must admit Alabama knows football like we know basketball.

2. Woosley
    1:18 pm August 29, 2013 Permalink

No offense Alley, but I could care less about #10 right now. Basketball can wait.

3. Pookie Jones
    1:24 pm August 29, 2013 Permalink

Basketball? Seriously? You put that on the list?

4. Lincoln
    1:26 pm August 29, 2013 Permalink

Seriously.. Way to further meet the stereotype that Kentucky fans only care about basketball.

5. UKFaniac
    1:28 pm August 29, 2013 Permalink

Umm… There are No Aaron Flener fans

6. BigBasketballNation
    1:35 pm August 29, 2013 Permalink

good post, Ally. Yes, basketball deserves to be on the list. It’s okay to love football and to be glad that football season means basketball is coming up. It’s okay to be excited about two sports, people!

7. Mc
    1:39 pm August 29, 2013 Permalink

I love college and pro football. However, #10 is definitely still true in my book. It’s a great time of year when football is in full swing, college basketball is starting, and the MLB playoffs are going on. I have no problem with #10. Out of all the reasons listed (which are all made in good fun), I can’t believe people criticize her for #10. It’s not a surprise to see the criticism though.

8. I really do like soccer
    1:49 pm August 29, 2013 Permalink

I actually really do love soccer. so much so that i’m not ashamed to admit it, even though i didn’t use my usual handle to post comments… love the fact that they are showing a lot of EPL and UEFA games here in the states. that said, football definitely translates to tv much better and i’m really excited to see the Cats play with heart this season and i hope we beat the ish out of WKU and BP saturday! Oh, and it IS closer to basketball season with every football game played…

9. BlackjackCat
    1:58 pm August 29, 2013 Permalink

guys can we cool it on insulting the writers? Grow up seriously. If you dont like someones writing style dont read it. Good stuff cant wait for the season! Go Cats!

10. Proud Kentuckian
    2:07 pm August 29, 2013 Permalink

I know alot of the KY kids won’t get to play much on our bball squad, but I sure do love seeing KY next to so many names on the roster.

11. RealCatsFan
    2:08 pm August 29, 2013 Permalink

What is that horrible, disfiguring growth coming from the face of that Florida football player in the first picture? And with all due respect for Tide fans, for the love of the Almighty, please get someone who is educated to proof read whatever it is that you plan to PERMANENTLY tattoo onto your body.

12. JustMe
    2:09 pm August 29, 2013 Permalink

Priceless to see the Alabama fan can’t spell. “Allegiance,” not “allegence.”

13. dirk
    2:32 pm August 29, 2013 Permalink

You had to add basketball in there, right ? Douche.

14. Aaron Flener
    3:31 pm August 29, 2013 Permalink

@UKFaniac- You’ve yet to meet my Mom. I’m won 3rd place in her favorite son contest.

15. AndrewH
    4:05 pm August 29, 2013 Permalink

Great article

16. Toothless Temp
    4:14 pm August 29, 2013 Permalink

Wow…you deleted my post in the comments section. Great Job KSR! I did not swear or say anything vulgar in my comment but it was deleted because my opinion did not agree with the writer.

Aren’t you supposed to have some thick skin if you are a writer? Guess bloggers don’t. Keep hiding behind that keyboard Ally.

17. Buck
    4:36 pm August 29, 2013 Permalink

Delete #10 please.

No reason to bring up basketball. In fact, it’s rather douchey.

18. front runner
    7:25 pm August 29, 2013 Permalink

Wouldn’t be a KSR article if it didn’t have some mention of basketball..I even have season tickets for UK basketball but geez..the ENTIRE NATION is excited about football yet ppl around here still look at it as a way to pass time until basketball starts..no wonder the rest of the SEC looks at us as a joke, no one else cares about basketball, football is by far the most popular sport in the country and ppl around here need to figure that out