It’s the moment we’ve all been waiting for since the moment the NBA draft finished, leaving us with baseball, NASCAR, tennis and golf to fill our Sports Center highlight reels. No offense to any of those sports, but the world of sports is at its best in the peak of football and basketball seasons. The drought is almost over though as college football officially kicks off later tonight. Besides the obvious reasons (great games, rivalries, players, topics for sports shows, etc.), here are 10 reasons to be glad college football is finally back…
1) Less time for Joker Phillips to make #ComePlayWRForTheJoker photoshops. (h/t Matt Anderson)
I’m not prepared to say that Joker Phillips lost his mind a little bit this summer with his Twitter account, but I’m not prepared to say that he didn’t either. I just hope that he finds more ways to occupy his time during the season, for his sake and for ours as well.
2) Drinking during the day is socially acceptable and even encouraged (h/t Every single person who I asked)
Tailgating at 8 a.m. for a noon kickoff is not only socially acceptable, but it’s what Kentucky fans will be facing for the first few home games. Ordering an alcoholic beverage with your breakfast is never more acceptable than during college football season. Cheers, folks.
3) Speaking of day drinking…It gives us a chance to re-visit ridiculous tailgating photos such as the one below/Alabama fans will inevitably get a horrible tattoo that will somehow find its way to the internet
(Still Drew Franklin’s best photoshop work to date)
4) There’s an outside chance that someone will talk about what Johnny Football does ON the field rather than off the field.
Probably not, but maybe.
5) Twitter can consist of something other than talking about Breaking Bad
I love the show. You love the show. Your best friend loves the show. Your other friend who is no longer your friend (you’ll understand the reason why in a minute) loves the show, and tweets exactly what happens before you have a chance to catch up on your DVR. We all love it. We all watch it. If you don’t, what’s wrong with you? With that said, it’s time to have a different topic of conversation on Twitter. Miley can disappear while we’re at it, too.
6) People don’t have to pretend to realllllllly care about soccer on Twitter anymore
I love soccer as much as anyone. I just didn’t realize that the whole rest of the social media world cared about it so passionately… only during the 2 summers months when nothing else is going on.
7) It brings back to relevance the guy you watch games with who knows what the “nickel” defense actually is…
He may or may not be the same guy who talks about his high school playing days every chance he gets.
8) We can cool it on NBA mock drafts and YouTube Mixed Tapes for 2017 recruits
The basketball news is often times so slim pickens during July and August that we get caught up in mock draft after mock draft. And when we are finished scanning the mock drafts, we get away too excited about random YouTube Mixed Tapes by DJ Doctor Funk for 13 year olds with a “mean handle.”
9) It means we are in between seasons of the Bachelor/Bachelorette
Sorry Aaron Flener fans.
10) And last but not least…we are that much closer to Midnight Madness and the start of college basketball season.
Let’s be honest, we’re all excited to see what the 2013-2014 season has in store for Kentucky basketball.