10 of 14 Cats finished with 3.0 or better

KSR interrupts your gorgeous Friday afternoon to report some good news from University of Kentucky classrooms. 10 of the 14 members of UK basketball’s roster finished with a 3.0 GPA or better last semester.

I’d be willing to bet that 10 out of every 14 people reading this right now didn’t even accomplish that in college. And none of us won a national title.

You mad, Bob Knight???

Article written by Drew Franklin

33 Comments for 10 of 14 Cats finished with 3.0 or better

1. RockyMtnCat
    12:28 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

We almost have to lead the SEC in GPA, then. What a great team.

2. bluefan
    12:32 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

BAM!

3. string music
    12:34 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

Hey Bob Knight….BOOM ROASTED!

4. beard_brain
    12:35 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

I cant get excited about our players getting a 3.0. Were they enrolled in English, Algebra, World Civ, or Literature. I’m afraid if we keep bragging about this that it’s gonna bite us in the ass. Vargas and Miller graduated which is awesome, but weren’t they were all out on autograph tours during finals week?

5. catphan
    12:38 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

Yes, Drew. You’re probably right. However, most of us didn’t take underwater basket weaving with a team of tutors making sure our baskets get completed.

6. Bleaker
    12:41 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

5- and that doesnt happen at all other schools?

7. GoBigBlue
    12:41 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

This should get some national attention. All the criticism the media (cough, Bob Knight, cough) gives UK that these guys aren’t real students is kind of shut down. I am extremely impressed with Coach Cal, but even more impressed by the character of these future millionaires.

8. Drew Franklin
    12:43 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

5. — The tutors, I get. But there is no reason why you didn’t enroll in underwater basket weaving. I took it online.

9. UK
    12:44 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

It doesn’t matter what classes they took. The point is they went to class and did the work, even while being on the road for weeks at a time. Thanks guys for the championship and finishing out the school year strong!

10. UK_Gr8ness
    12:44 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

Hey now, I finished with a 3.898 GPA, but I didn’t win a National Title… However, Thameltoe disputes the fact that the last 8 in 3.898 is of relevance it is only the 3.89 that someone spent on a recruit’s candy bar and coke that matters. And Bob Knight says that GPA doesn’t matter for “that team in the SEC”!

11. lambinated
    12:56 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

If the average comment section on this site is any indication, that may be the understatement of the century re:GPA.

12. Johnson
    12:57 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

Ok 10/14 is pretty good I admit. But, I’m surprised theres 14 players, I mean Cal only played 7 normally. So its probably more likely that the 7 guys who didn’t play at all got really good GPA’s, then 3 of the 7 who actually played got over a 3.0. But that means 4 of the 7 who actually played probably did not get over a 3.0. Which is fine, I could care less, I just wanna win NC’s, but lets be honest, most of the guys on the end of the bench are there to boost the team GPA.

13. UK Freshmen
    1:05 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

I bet 10 out of 14 of us didn’t have full-time tutors nor majored in subjects like Agriculture Communications, either.

14. RYNO
    1:10 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

Underwater basketweaving sounds like it would be the single heardest class in the country to get an A in. Ever tried weaving a basket underwater. The moisture makes the wood warp.

15. Cristoforouk
    1:13 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

Anyone trying to put a negative spin on this is ridiculous., and really reaching. First of all, you have no idea what classes these guys took, so stop speculating. Secondly, college was a hard enough adjustment for me without playing on one of the most prominent basketball teams in the country and winning a national championship. Think about how much class time these guys missed. Doesn’t matter what classes they took. This is impressive. I did pretty poorly in some easy classes just due to the “college life”, and I wasn’t in line to make millions of dollars (i.e. getting my degree meant a lot more to me).

16. Ted Valentine
    1:13 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

Hey Bobby, just lay back and enjoy it!

17. 49 Chevy
    1:25 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

So here is how the story goes:

Hater – “These kids don’t finish their classes”.

UK – “All the players have finished their classwork”

H – “They don’t get good grades”

UK – “10 of 14 have a 3.0 or higher”

H – “Well the classes they took were too easy”

UK – “So you are going to find something new to gripe about after every complaint you have has been debunked?”

18. Al B. Frank
    1:29 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

5- Underwater Basket Weaving is no joke. Try it. That’s a tough class! BTW, 4, isn’t English a requirement for Freshmen? I thought it was, but I could be wrong.

19. catphan
    1:34 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

I’m thrilled they made good grades. I wish the other 4/14 would’ve showed up to their tutor meetings and picked up their work.

20. john4uk
    1:42 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

Boy,these “nabobs of negativism”just can’t stand any constructive news from the UK camp at all,and they have the gall to call themselves fans.What a crock!

21. Coach Cal
    1:51 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

71%..not bad. Of course there will be a NYT article about it not being 100% and that the NCAA is investigating it.

22. UKChillfan
    2:03 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

wow, even here we can’t have people proud of the job these guys did. should we be on troll alert?

23. eloy
    3:01 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

So Jon Hood, Jared Polson, Brian Long and Twany Beckham are responsible for keeping it from being 14 out of 14 – figures.

24. Mudcreekmark
    3:51 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

Drew getting a little jab in at his readers. Insinuating that we aren’t that smart? Thanks Drew.

25. prpcat
    3:59 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

Any comments booby knight? didn’t think so…….

26. Dick Gosinia
    4:09 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

With all that these players have to do OUTSIDE of the classroom, I don’t care what classes they took. I am proud of them and Coach Cal for stressing the importance of doing what they are supposed to do. The demand on their time is unbelievable.

27. Roofus Howls
    4:22 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

I used to teach a 200 level econ class as an adjunct faculty member at Murray State. I put copies of old exams and quizzes online. I would say “YOU WILL BE TESTED ON THIS” during lecture. 71% of my students didn’t make B or better. While this isn’t an apples to apples comparison, there is a valid point in there somewhere.

Way to go in the classroom National Champions.

28. LAUGHlin Mclain Sucks
    4:32 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

Wow. What can I find to be negative about here. Looks like maybe UK does some good things. I suck!

29. Han
    6:14 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

I think I did that at Transy while never giving a crap about school.

30. Crash
    6:16 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

Not sure about UK these days, but all the schools my kid visited over the last year had FREE tutors available to all kids who asked. Seems expected in this era.

31. Turntable
    6:53 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

32. idontflinch
    8:56 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

When it comes to Calipari facts don’t matter. FACT! -Bobby Knight

33. Ric flair
    9:18 pm May 11, 2012 Permalink

Just think they could have had a 4.0 if they could have had they’re swahili papers graded by unc professors!!!!!