Editor’s Note: The following was written by Harold Leeder, editor-in-chief of The New Circle Circular, Lexington’s #1 source of fake news you can’t count on.
The University of Kentucky basketball team made all of Big Blue Nation extremely proud by holding a telethon and raising over one million dollars for the victims of Hurricane Harvey. In addition to the impressive fundraising, the team also opened eyes of the Kentucky fanbase by showing off the the wide-range of off-the-court talents they possessed. If you missed the telethon, here are some of our favorite highlights from the event:
- As the telethon kicked off there was an entertaining portion where Coach John Calipari had to explain to many of the young players what a landline phone was and how to use them.
- Joe B Hall’s Recorder solo during California Dreamin’.
- The highest-rated hour was the one where the camera just circled John Robic’s head and captured the sheen of the studio lights off his wonderful locks.
- Joel Justus showed off his marionette collection in a short play he wrote about the benefits of mathematics in basketball, until Kenny Payne called one of them a puppet and chairs started flying.
- During the “Feats Of Robert Harris’ Strength” segment, Strength and Conditioning Coach Robert Harris ripped apart phone books with his bare hands, the players were impressed once they found out a phone book is “a printed off version of whitepages.com”.
- Nick Richards had an odd but enthralling segment where he just named different types of birds he could think of (spoiler: it was a lot).
- The most moving section was when Johnny David and Dillion Pulliam sang Kid Rock and Sheryl Crow’s “Picture” over harrowing footage of the flood damage
- Hamidou Diallo gave tips to kids watching in his segment “Hamidou’s and Hamidon’ts”