Matt Elam picked Kentucky over Alabama moments ago, and is currently speaking to the media about his decision. Here are some notes, which I’ll keep updating as he talks:
– At the Army-All American game, Elam said that he was still unsure of who he would pick, but said that it was 60/40 UK.
– Matt says that even if Alabama comes calling, he’s “fully committed” to Kentucky.
– Like Drew Barker, Elam said that the chance to help his home state program was a major reason for his decision: ”That’s one of the main reasons I stayed, to help out my state program.”
– He told Drew Barker that he was picking Kentucky yesterday, but tricked him by saying he was going with Alabama first. When he told Barker he was just messing with him, Drew “got excited and said, ‘We gotta change this.’”
– Elam told Mark Stoops two days ago. How did he react? ”He went crazy. He was like, ‘I can’t really say anything, but I just want to tell the whole world.’ His wife came in there and he was like, ‘Honey…’ I can’t really tell you what he said, but he just went crazy to everybody.” #ThingsStoopsSaidtoChantel?
– The whole helmet hat trick? Elam came up with that last night, and said he wanted “something different” and hopes it looked good.
– Would Elam have committed to Kentucky if Stoops wasn’t the coach? ”No sir, not at all.” In fact, “With the Joker Phillips staff, me or Drew weren’t really considering them, but now, when the coaching staff changed, it just changed our minds a lot.” Ouch.
– On turning down Saban: “Not a lot of people have. A lot of people might be surprised, but he’s a great guy.”
– When it came down to it, “It’s hard to turn down Alabama, but my heart is at the University of Kentucky.”