It’s been almost a week since Kevin Knox shocked the recruiting world by pickingÂ Kentucky over Duke, Florida State, Missouri, and North Carolina, and yesterday, his father, Kevin Sr., opened up about the decision in an interview with CatsPause’s Chris Fisher. There’s a lot of good stuff in the Q&A, but most interesting to me were Knox Sr.’s comments about how so many experts thought this decision came out of left field. When Knox announced, not a single expert in 247 Sports’ Crystal Ball picked him to go to Kentucky; 87% of the predictions were for Duke, and the remaining 13% for North Carolina.
“We see everything,” Knox Sr. said, laughing when asked about the Crystal Ball picks. “We saw those and we would laugh.”
Even the UK staff didn’t know Knox was coming to Lexington until heÂ announced his decision via Twitter on Saturday.Â Knox Sr. said the staff’s heartfelt reactions to the news made them feel as though heÂ made the right decision.
“Coach Cal texted my wife. Our contact was Coach Kenny Payne and we were able to speak to him a little later.Â I don’t think he knew. He said his phone was getting blown up and said you’ll have to give me a minute. He was tearing up. It was a really good situation and a really good time. It’s good to feel wanted and feel like we definitely made the right decision.”
What about Calipari riding his hover board around the kitchen?
“That made us laugh. That made us laugh. The celebratory joyride. At the end of the day, it’s good to see your coach excited to want you. When you talk about relationships, it’s good to have that type of positive energy and you’re going to play for someone you trust with the handling of your son and be a part of something special.”
Check out the entire Q&A by clicking the link below.