Well, some not-so-great news. In yesterday’s Monday Insider Notes I said I was unable to talk with any AAU sources about Wiseman’s visit to Memphis over the weekend but one did get back with me this afternoon.
This is someone I’ve been able to chat with about Wiseman’s recruitment for a long time and nearly two months ago he told me he thought Wiseman would end up at Kentucky.
His reasons were reasons we’ve heard (and I’ve repeated) throughout Wiseman’s recruitment:
- He wants to win a championship
- UK has done an incredible job building a relationship with the family
- He will be the guy on the frontcourt
- John Calipari’s track record with bigs and getting them selected at/near the top of the NBA Draft.
This fella told me today that he now thinks Memphis is the leader and he would be “pretty shocked” if he ended up going anywhere else. He did mention if not Memphis it would be UK, but he thinks Penny has done enough to earn a commitment.
I did ask if his information came from someone on Memphis’ staff and it did not, so that’s good news. But here are the reasons he provided for why this Nike EYBL source believes Memphis will land Wiseman:
- Penny hasn’t missed with his former AAU/HS players that he’s wanted to coach at Memphis.
- The family is convinced he can be a No. 1 pick at Memphis (I found this interesting. Did they initially not think he could be drafted as the No. 1 player at Memphis? That would be surprising).
Then he listed off some hints he thinks people have been missing in this recruitment to “validate” his prediction:
- Wiseman stayed in Memphis instead of going to prep-school.
- Wiseman’s mom was set on an April or May decision, but now he’s wanting to announce in November or December. My guy said there’s still time for Wiseman to get other players to join him in Memphis.
- Wiseman initially wasn’t going to officially visit Memphis, but gave the Tigers the last official visit. (I don’t know it’s true he was deadset on not officially visiting Memphis, but instead had planned other visits first).
- The entire town is trying to get him to stay in Memphis and it would be a “bad business” move to commit while still living in the city. (I also slightly disagree with this, but no doubt he’d get boo’d during his home games)
I passed along this information with folks close to Kentucky and they weren’t phased. They still think they’re in a great spot to land Wiseman and while I don’t feel overly confident about it one way or the other, I’m still leaning UK as of today. That may change in the next few weeks or months, but the Cats have still put in a lot of work in this recruitment and they’re not panicking just yet in Lexington.
Also, 247’s Evan Daniels is still picking UK. So even though the tide may be turning in the AAU ranks there’s still reasons to believe the Cats will be the choice.
I hope my guy is wrong but it’s clear that Memphis has the momentum (again) after the official visit. Gotta love the rollercoaster ride that is recruiting.