Before Cody Parkey made the Chicago Bears the NFL’s modern playoff punchline, there was Blair Walsh and the Minnesota Vikings.
The Bears had a chance to sign Austin MacGinnis, not once, but twice. MacGinnis participated in rookie mini-camp and they passed. He was called back following the Parkey double-doink and they let him walk once again. Now the Bears’ NFC North rival has a chance to right that wrong.
Last week Austin MacGinnis tried out for the Minnesota Vikings. If it was anything like his stint with the Memphis Express, he didn’t miss a kick. If the tryout is not enough to convince the Vikings, MacGinnis’ resume speaks for itself:
- Kentucky’s all-time leading scorer with 359 points.
- Made the three-longest kicks in school history: 54 (UT), 53 (MS) and 53 (OH) yards.
- School record for most career field goals made: 72.
- School record for most consecutive field goals made: 11 (twice)
- Two single-season school records for most field goals: 22 (17), 21 (14).
- Third in all-time field goal percentage: .791
- Two of nine game-winning field goals made in school history.
Old Man Dan Bailey was great for the Cowboys, but his time has past. Make the right decision, Minnesota, and sign the man who eats game-winners for breakfast.
The game-winners are better with Tom Leach on the call.