As a member of the working press at Kentucky basketball games, I was offended when John Calipari looked a room full of reporters in the eyes and said, “You don’t know sh*t,” after Tuesday night’s game against Texas A&M.
I was not in the room at the time, so maybe I wasn’t included in the group of sh*t-not-knowers he called out, but I still felt Cal’s brutally honest words deep down in my heart.
Now, in Cal’s defense, the media does not know much — definitely not as much as it pretends to know. And I can’t speak for everyone who watches the games with a lanyard around their neck and a laptop or Steno Pad in front of them, but I can speak for myself.
And I know aÂ littleÂ sh*t.
Granted, it’s not much sh*t. But I do know more sh*t than Calipari led on with his comment at the press conference. So in defense of myself and some of my colleagues, here is some sh*t I know:
– I know Kentucky showed toughness last night, but still needs to show more or it can lose to anyone.
– I know P.J. Washington has looked great the last three games, finally.
– I know I’m not going to watch the replay of the final two seconds of the game because I know Wenyen Gabriel probably fouled Tyler Davis.
– I know Shai Gilgeous-Alexander has been the MVP since cutting his hair.
– I know Kevin Knox does not play defense.
– I also know Kentucky needs Knox’s offense.
– I know Hamidou Diallo is going to be horrible in some games and awesome in others. That’s who he is.
– I know the Rupp Arena crowd needs to stop yelling SHOOT! when Brad Calipari is in the game.
– I know Nick Richards needs to be better or he can take a seat.
– I know Wenyen Gabriel should never dribble, but always shoot when open.
– I know this team is far from its ceiling; the question is, will it find its ceiling in time?
– I know it’s ridiculous to say this team can’t reach the ___ round of the NCAA tournament because every team in college basketball is beatable, maybe more so than in any other year.
– I know the Cats need to accept Cal’s coaching (LISTEN!)Â in order to be a team that can make a Final Four run.
– I know Pitino knew.
– I know Quade Green better not be out much longer.
– I know nothing about what’s going on with Jarred Vanderbilt behind the scenes, but I have a pretty good guess.
– I know Kentucky can be much better fundamentally.
– I know the trip to West Virginia is going to be difficult.
– I also know the back-to-back trips to Texas A&M and Auburn will be difficult.
– I know we overreacted to the Tennessee loss.
– I know Kentucky really needs to beat Florida when ESPN College GameDay comes to town in 10 days.
– I know it’s stupid to give up on a team in January because the 2010-11 and 2013-14 teams almost won it all.
– I know Kentucky beat Louisville by 29 points.
– I know Kentucky could’ve beaten Louisville by 40 points.
– I know I like my team.
See, Cal? I know some sh*t.