Calipari: “This is as hard as I’ve been on a team since I’ve been here”

This is John Calipari’s youngest team, and, more than ever before, he’s bracing fans for growing pains. On the eve of Kentucky’s season opener, Cal said he’s had to be harder on this group in practice than any he’s had during his time here.

“This is as hard as I’ve been on a team since I’ve been here, I’d say,” Cal said. “Both in stretching them out and being direct and specific on what we’re looking for and what I accept. But, they’re behind most of those other teams. They’re not behind on size. It’s just trying to get them, when they’re fatigued, to just continue to fight. When they’re fatigued, continue to think. Things they’ve never really had to do.”

Throughout the preseason, Calipari said he’s had to remind himself to be patient with this group, but through 27 practices, he seems resigned to the fact that they will take some lumps early.

“As we start this off, I have to accept more than anyone else — more than any fan or media — that we are where we are, and it’s going to be a process and we could get dinged along the way,” Cal said. “I’m happy with the trajectory of the team, it’s just that we are what we are…They’re gonna have to get hit in the mouth a few times and then you start realizing, whoa.”

Kentucky will be tested right out of the gate, with three games in five days, including a primetime date with Kansas on Tuesday night; however, Utah Valley and Vermont are far from cakewalks.

“The only issue is, there are three teams — these are not teams that you can play bad and win against,” Cal said. “We’re going to play teams with veteran guards. We’re going to play teams with veteran players that aren’t going to get rattled. You’re not going to press them into submission or turn it over four straight times. You’re not going to do it. You’re going to have to play basketball.”

Here we go.

10 responses to “Calipari: “This is as hard as I’ve been on a team since I’ve been here””

1. AGSlater

Wonder why?

1. UKfanman01

Because of inspiring and witty fans like you slater

2. UK Big Board Update

AGSlater November 7, 2017 at 3:48 pm | Permalink | Reply
      Like It (0)
      Cals only gonna win 1 here everyone. We will have solid years, but teams like this years will stress you out.

AGSlater November 7, 2017 at 4:53 pm | Permalink
      Like It (0)
      All that talent he has had and 1 title to show for it. After this year it will be 6 years and counting. You can count on cal being at draft though. Knox will be the only 1 in lottery this year.

AGSlater November 1, 2017 at 2:31 pm | Permalink | Reply
      Like It (0)
      They will be out of top 25 thia year at some point. Possibly 8-9 seed in tourny. We just dont have the players this year.

AGSlater February 18, 2017 at 7:28 pm | Permalink | Reply
      Like It (1)
      Cal lets the assistants do most of the coaching now. He is just a figure now that yells during games. Never seen the talent Cal has on a yearly basis look so bad in half court offense

AGSlater February 18, 2017 at 6:15 pm | Permalink | Reply
      Like It (0)
      They should count Briscoe jump shots as turnovers

AGSlater February 18, 2017 at 6:33 pm | Permalink | Reply
      Like It (0)
      Time for Briscoe to pack his bags after this season

AGSlater February 18, 2017 at 6:43 pm | Permalink | Reply
      Like It (0)
      We have to lead the country in walks.

AGSlater February 18, 2017 at 6:49 pm | Permalink | Reply
      Like It (0)
      Briscoe should never be allowed to take jump shots. If willis or gabriel miss they are out instantly but Briscoe is allowed to run a muck and shoot bricks all night

AGSlater February 18, 2017 at 7:22 pm | Permalink | Reply
      Might be Fox’s worst game

AGSlater February 18, 2017 at 7:25 pm | Permalink | Reply
      Like It (0)
      Gabriel also back to terrible again

AGSlater February 18, 2017 at 7:38 pm | Permalink | Reply
      Like It (0)
      Hawkins needs to play over Fox i guess. Meanwhile Briscoe with another horribly bricked jump shot. His misses just sound bad off the rim

AGSlater February 15, 2017 at 4:36 pm | Permalink | Reply
      Like It (0)
      Laugh out loud at this. We have played poorly at times. Now everyone say I am negtiven This is a fair statement. We are playing better, but it wong be suprising to go 1 and done. You mad Bros?

AGSlater July 18, 2016 at 8:59 pm | Permalink
      Like It (0)
      Duke has been getting every player they want even over UK.

AGSlater April 6, 2016 at 1:28 pm | Permalink
      Like It (0)
      Damn. They are stacked. Could go 40-0. Not a Duke fan whatsoever just being real

AGSlater January 18, 2016 at 4:34 pm | Permalink
      Like It (1)
      When do they release NIT bracketology? That’s where this team is headed

AGSlater January 18, 2016 at 4:29 pm | Permalink
      Like It (0)
      Not if, but when they lose to Arkansas they will be out of Top 25 for good. We don’t need to worry about rankings. Need to worry about missing tournament.

AGSlater February 12, 2016 at 5:09 pm | Permalink
      Like It (1)
      I think they will have 9-10 losses before selection day and be a 7-10 seed. No im not a Cards fan. Our resume is poor. 3-4 really bad losses and 1 decent victory. If more teams keep losing 5-6.

AGSlater May 20, 2016 at 4:18 pm | Permalink
      Like It (0)
      Our football program stinks and will always stink. Who would want to play for us? It gets old that kids say the school they decommit from is a top their list. Just shut up and say I will NOT be going to UK

AGSlater September 19, 2016 at 5:31 pm | Permalink
      Here is a stat- we suck

ag slater December 1, 2013 at 4:28 pm | Permalink
      Like It (0)
      Here comes another 2-10 season everyone. I predict 3 straight seasons without an sec win. Next years team may even be worse than this team. Everyone thinks barker is the golden child savior. Hilarious

ag slater November 23, 2013 at 9:17 pm | Permalink
      Like It (0)
      We suck so bad in football I really forgot that we were even playing a game at all until about 9. We are pathetic in every way possible.From the coaching to the players this football program is pathetic. Can we just take football away from the university It is pointless to play. The only thing our football program is good at is making a bad name for the university and making any team look awesome, How sad is it when your team cannot even win a conference game in 2 seasons. Absolute joke. laughing stock of all of football

AGSlater October 7, 2017 at 10:26 pm | Permalink | Reply
      Like It (0)
      Bold prediction. 27-24 uk is leading. But they are going to lose.

2. AGSlater

Haha. It musta took you atleast 20-30 min to do this. I know im rattling you now.

1. UK Big Board Update

Took about 5 seconds, dipshit.

3. dan213

Damn Ag lol! Looks like UK big board has your number dude….must be a fan!? Or following you on Twitter lol. But I do get your points. Some of them at least. We do suck at football. Bad as I hate to admit it. And the rub for me is that if UK was in any other conference but the SEC we’d have some pretty damn good years in football! Basketball seems to take care of itself I think. Even in the ACC with Dook and UNC (hell throw Kansas and Indiana) in there as well and we still hold our own in basketball and probably have years we completed for conference champ in football in the last 20 years….just not in the SEC.

To Stoops credit he has recruited more talent to the team than I’ve seen in my lifetime. Enough to win games even in the SEC and probably dominate in most conferences with the exception of a Ohio state or a Clemson.

I get that you’re a glass half empty guy. Some folks are. And I even agree with you on some of your salient points with regards to the basketball team but you’re in a no win situation dude.

1. AGSlater

Oh im winning. Unlike Stoops or cal winning another title.

2. UK Big Board Update

No, you’re a loser, just like your parents.

3. AGSlater

I know Im rattling you. Taking personal shots now. Whats wrong BB? You upset over our poop football season or how our bball team is gonna struggle?

4. UK Big Board Update

No, loser. I enjoy being a Cats fan. I also enjoy calling trolls like you out.

Your parents failed you.