As always, the list of famous Kentucky Wildcat fans continues to grow. Coach Cal keeps boosting the program to new heights with his marketing genius, and along with that comes even more well-known fans. While the list is certainly fluid (props to mm), it is fun to take a look at the list of celebs and important people and realize we’re all on the same side… kind of. Here is an arbitrary top ten list. Let me know if you guys think of more.
10. Tracy McGrady – He’s new on the UK fan scene, but his twitter-love-explosion for Big Blue Nation got him a lot of respect in my book. Always was a huge T-Mac guy, so much so that I even wore those god awful blue patent leather shoes. I heard rumors he’s professed love for other college teams before, but I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt here.
9. Josh Hopkins – Now this guy has shown crazy love for Kentucky. Cal came on the scene just as Cougartown was gaining popularity. It was a perfect storm and getting to see the John Wall dance on national television (and again) was too awesome. Now, rumors say we can expect Coach Cal to make an appearance on the show (according to our next fan on the list…)
8. Oscar Combs – Okay, I know Oscar isn’t nationally known as to be considered a celebrity, but within the boundaries of the Commonwealth, the man is a staple in the UK world. Glad he has become a ‘friend of KSR’, and his radio show appearances were great. Also, Oscar is the oldest person to master twitter and it’s awesome. His insight as a fan is one of, if not the, best out there. #Swag.
7. Drake – Aubrey Drake Graham graces this list with its first international and musical flair. This Canadian came to Cal’s first ever Big Blue Madness and drove the fans wild. When whispers of his name came out as the ‘surprise guest‘, a lot of UK fans were in the dark about this guy. Since then, his major-label album dropped and he became one of the hottest artists out there.
6. Barack Obama – So, yeah… I know he isn’t exactly a UK Fan, and that politics are a lost cause on any sports site, and that we lost that game to USC on the day of this picture, but Obama is still the president, which makes him the most famous person to ever have his name on a UK jersey. Also, he sucks. Also, he is awesome. BOOM, how’s that for unbiased writing.
5. Dirk Nowitzki – Attaboy. Now, raise those ‘three-goggles’ to your eyes and complete the trifecta. In another quest for an NBA championship, we’ve had the pleasure of seeing Dirkalirk go crazy and dominate the playoffs. He is a joy to watch, and even moreso when you realize he is a Kentucky fan and may have played here had he not gone pro! Coach Cal tweeted this recently, too. Dirk’s been one of the ‘good guys’ in the NBA, whatever that means, and it’s really hard to cheer against the guy in the playoffs. Good luck, sir.
4. Jay-Z – Some consider Jay-Z to be the greatest rapper of all time, others consider him to merely be ‘among the greatest’. Bottomline: the man is a legend in the recording industry and a mogul in every sense of the term. Bottom-bottomline: Jay-Z showed up in the UK locker room after the UNC tournament game. So much swag in that picture above, even though most of it is from Mop, er, I mean Jon Hood. Love you, bro. Also, Jay-Z is with Beyonce. <—More #winning in that sentence than any of us will ever experience in our lives.
3. LeBron James – Villain or hero, take your pic. LeBron is making a legitimate title-run this year, just like Dirk. Thing about LBJ is that he has a ton of haters this year after the manner in which he departed Cleveland. There’s much more to be said about this, but maybe we will save that for a post after he wins/loses in the Finals (assuming they don’t throw away this 3-1 lead). Either way you look at it, it’s hard not to love the fact that the (arguably) best player in the world cheers for our team and coach.
2. Ashley Judd – C’mon, you guys knew this person and pic were going to be high on the list. Ashley is quite the gal-about-town these days with her book and all, but she always has time for her Cats (even though there will always be commenters calling her a fair weather fan). But, let’s be honest, Ashley Judd has been the face of the “Famous UK Fan Club” for many years now. I’d let her kill me… twice.
1. God/Jesus – No offense to Allah/Buddha/Vishnu/Zues/Kali Ma/John Wall, but these dudes postponed the Rapture for the sole reason of allowing UK to finally capture national championship number 8 this upcoming season! So my sources tell me.
11. Al Gore – Gore invented the internet [trollface]. You are reading this site… using the internet. Without him, UK fans would have no way to vent, read recruiting rumors, dominate polls, annihilate comment sections, flood servers, or make fun of opposing teams. Thank you.