After a morning in which Matt described his behavior as “testy”, Rick Pitino has finished testifying in Karen Sypher’s extortion trial. Sypher’s defense team got combatitive with Pitino and dug deep into the events at Porcini’s. And, though they are not necessarily the types of things you want to talk about in front of a group of people, Matt said that Pitino handled himself well on the stand. Here are a few notes:
– Pitino did admit that he paid the $3,000 for Karen Sypher because she need health insurance and that he arranged for U of L equipment manager Tim Sypher to provide the transportation for an abortion. However, Pitino remained adamant that the child was not his.
– On their physical interaction with each other, Pitino testified that he did not plan on having sex with Karen Sypher, but he also did not protest it.
– Pitino then dove deeper into the actual events of their interaction and said that Sypher asked him if he had a condom and he told her that he didn’t carry them. She told him that “her husband looked at her 4 times and she got pregnant so I pulled out”. The defense attorney then asked Pitino how Sypher could have gotten pregnant if he did not ejaculate. Pitino tesified that he did “down his leg”.
– Pitino then testified that “it is physically possible” that he got Sypher pregnant, but did not elaborate further.
– The defense attorney also said that Pitino’s financial adviser and attorney had gone together to meet with Sypher’s attorney in March of 2009 and offered a $500k settlement. Pitino said he had no such knowledge of the meeting.
– Pitino also got emotional when testifying that he had to tell his son, Richard, to leave Louisville to take another position in order to save himself from “embarrassment and humiliation”. He told the court the two years they coached together were the happiest of his career.
More from Matt in a bit…