Pikeville Independent Middle School is in jeopardy of losing its entire season after beating a team 100 to 2 in the first game of the season. The school board is considering canceling the remainder of Pikeville Independent’s season due to the lack of sportsmanship in the blowout win. Kimper Elementary and Middle, the victim in the basketball game, was clearly under-matched (as you can see in the footage) but Pikeville Independent head coach Bryan Johnson claims he tried to call the dogs off when it started getting ugly. He says he backed off the press and dropped into a 2-3 zone once his team went up 25-0 in the first 1:48. Yes, you read the correctly; his team was up 25-0 with less than two minutes off the clock. That’s about two points every eight seconds. After his team took a 70-0 lead into the half — again, you read that correctly — he told his team to stop playing any defense at all and to try to let their opponents score. Still, the game ended with a 98-point differential. That’s absurd. The school board shouldn’t punish a group of middle school kids for this win, they should submit a bid to join the Big Ten.
Let’s get you some News and Views.
– Your University of Kentucky Wildcats woke up as the No. 2 team in the polls on Monday morning, but they’re going to bed as the No. 1 team Monday night. The Cats are the top-ranked team in both the AP and the ESPN/USA Today Coaches polls this week for the first time since January of 2010. Calipari, who is just the second coach ever to lead three different teams to a No. 1 ranking, had this to say about his team claiming the top spot:
“This early in the season it’s nice, but it’s not that significant,” UK head coach John Calipari said. “It just puts a bigger target on us. Obviously, not everyone thinks that we’re the best team. Starting three freshmen and two sophomores, they may be right. I’ll be anxious to see how the team accepts the challenge this week.”
Kentucky has only been ranked No. 1 twice since winning the National Championship in 1998.
– If you’re going to the UNC game this weekend, not only will you be watching one of the most anticipated regular season college basketball games ever, but we’ll need you to be in your seat approximately 18 minutes before tip-off. UK informed the media that an ultra-high-definition, 5-billion pixel, 360 degree image will be taken from center court before the game. The “FanCam” image will capture all of Rupp Arena and it takes about 5-7 minutes to shoot. You don’t want to miss that, do you?
– Ken Pomeroy, the man with the magical college basketball stat collector and fortune teller, has two interesting statistics for the Cayts. According to Ken Pom, Kentucky is No. 1 in adjusted defense (83.3) and No. 3 in adjusted offense (117.9) efficiencies in the country. Pomeroy uses a pythagorean equation to calculate the numbers (meaning it’s way above my head) but it refers to how a team would perform against average competition at a neutral site. Kentucky was No. 1 in both categories before the Portland game. Go to KenPom.com to learn more. Numbers make my head hurt.
– Remember DaJuan Coleman? Of course you do. He’s the highly-ranked big man in the class of 2012 who chose Syracuse over Kentucky back in October. Well, he’s still committed to Jim Boeheim and the Orange but he’s going to wait and see how things play out before he makes a decision on whether or not to honor his commitment. The wheels could be falling off in Syracuse soon, although I don’t think Boeheim’s involvement is anything compared to Paterno’s at Penn State. Boeheim’s only mistake here is immediately defending his assistant coach after the allegations came out, when he probably knew about the investigation in 2002. We’ll keep an eye on how this situation affects Coleman, the recruit Calipari was hard after.
– Alex Kline, formerly of KSR fame, believes Kentucky, UNLV, Duke, and UCLA are in the best contention for Shabazz Muhammad. Shabazz’s father spent Thanksgiving in Maui where he watched Duke and UCLA in the Maui Invitational, and Shabazz was in attendance when UNLV took down top-ranked North Carolina in Las Vegas over the weekend. It sounds like UK needs to move some of its home games out west this season.
– Hey, remember when Kentucky beat Tennessee on Saturday? That was awesome.
– In non-Kentucky-beating-Tennessee college football news, Urban Meyer was introduced as Ohio State’s new head football coach on Monday night. Meyer agreed to a six-year contract worth $4 million annually with retention bonuses for 2014, 2016 and 2018. Meyer called it a dream job and he said he has followed Ohio State forever, outside of those sixty minutes in Arizona when his Florida Gators beat the Buckeyes for the national title. Meyer is from Ashtabula, Ohio, and he attended undergraduate classes at Cincinnati. He earned a master’s degree in sports administration from Ohio State and was a graduate assistant under Earle Bruce.
– The media in Columbus, Ohio is already losing complete control over Meyer’s arrival. It is such a lovefest that one camerawoman for ESPN fainted during the press conference. Don’t worry, she was ok.
– I know what you’re about to ask and the answer is yes — we do have news on Patterson or Lucas. Patrick Patterson will be making two appearances over the next two days. He’ll be at Wildcat Warehouse in Somerset tomorrow night and in Hazard on Wednesday night from 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm both evenings. Go visit him and ask if he knows anything about Jai Lucas.
– You have just one more hour to take advantage of the insane Cyber Monday deal at the KSR Shop. Take 20% off all Nike items and 50% off all sweatshirts and t-shirts. Plus you get free shipping on any order over $25 with the coupon code, “KSR”. What are you waiting for?
– The Rupp Arena task force is meeting Wednesday night and you’re invited. Project planner Gary Bates will be at the Lexington Children’s Theater at 6:00 pm to go over proposed ideas for the new arena. He’ll also field questions and take suggestions from the crowd in the task force’s second public meeting.
– You’ve seen the Michael Kidd-Gilchrist dunk. Now watch it from behind through the lens of a #YMCn2B camera.
That’s all for tonight. Drew The Employee will be here at 9:00 am to discuss taunting in sports and then the radio show will get going at 10:00 am with special guest Tee Martin.