“If it will feed nothing else, it will feed my revenge.” – Shakespeare
I know I’m the last person on this site that you’d expect to quote Shakespeare, but this is some serious stuff right here (plus I just did a google search for “revenge quotes”). I’m not going to lie to you, folks. What we’re about to talk about is going to be a little painful. It’s been a year since the Cats folded up and didn’t put up a fight on their trip down to Nashville and, dammit, I’m still steaming angry about it. I’m man enough to admit that I haven’t let it go and I’m petty enough to come out and say that anything short of a demoralizing ass-kicking putting the Vandy intramural program on the brink of a collapse will be a letdown for me. Why? Because that game last year at Memorial Gym was downright pathetic and it marks the first time in years that your normally very mild-mannered man Beisner was spewing F bombs and throwing things around the house.
I’ve stated this before, but this game was far worse than San Diego to me. More embarrassing than Gardner-Webb. More painful than Louisville. This, was the ultimate kick to the junk in a season that was dishing them out often – and I’m ready for Clyde and his gang to line up on the baseline tonight and dish out a sweet, steaming plate of revenge. A few of the lowpoints from last year:
– it was the worst SEC loss in school history
– we all thought that UK had turned the corner after putting together a 5-game win streak in conference heading into the game
– it was the first time I’ve seen a Kentucky team essentially fold up shop and just go through the motions after getting down
– it was the ultimate exercise in stubborn coaching as Gillispie refused to make subs as the team got smoked
– it was televised on ESPN
– Vandy had 11 (that’s right, 11!) players score
– Vandy’s Ross Neltner, a former Kentucky Mr. Basketball, outscored and outrebounded Patrick Patterson – and still finshed third and second on his team in those categories
– Kentucky never had a lead
– Kentucky had more fouls than made baskets
– Kentucky shot 32% from the field and 10% from three
– Kentucky had 5 assists
– Ashley Judd half-assed her fandom
– It was to freakin’ Vandy!!!!
So, what’s the point of this besides bringing up old, hard feelings? Well, there isn’t really. I want you to be mad. I want you to be angry because…well….I’m still harboring ill-will for Vandy and I don’t want to be the only one that’s fired up about tonight’s game. I know it’s Vandy but to me, this is a big game for Kentucky. And, if you still aren’t fired up for the Cats and Commodores tonight, watch this:
Go Cats. Spill some blood tonight in Nashville.